• Welcome to the forum & gallery at The Digital Press! Each user will need to register an account in order to use this portion of our website. We look forward to seeing you in our forums and gallery! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selections below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JANUARY 2021 | COLOR CHALLENGE from LAURA PASSAGE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JANUARY 2021 | COLOR CHALLENGE from LAURA PASSAGE

Hi everyone... Laura here, bringing you this month's COLOR CHALLENGE for January 2021! Can you even believe it's January?! How did it become 2021?! I still feel like it's March or April of 2020, LOL!

The COLOR CHALLENGE is a simple one on the surface... but can prove to be more challenging than you might think!

The way it works is like this...
    1. You'll use any method you like to choose a number between 1 and 12 (pick scraps of paper out of a hat... have your spouse or kids or anyone else "choose a number between 1 and 12... or even just use random.org, which is probably the quickest/easiest method, so it's my suggestion! haha).
    2. Once you have your number, pair it up with the number/color that appears on the following color wheel.
    3. You'll be using that color (or any variation in its family; see the wheel) -- and NO other colors -- with exception to black, white, or grey -- to scrap a page! IT'S THAT SIMPLE!
      (or is it?! )

Please note that you can use ANY product you like, as long as it is currently sold at TDP (and/or any freebies/etc. from TDP's resident design team)... but... if you use products from my shop exclusively, you'll be entered in a drawing to win $5 to spend in my store in February!

You are also welcome to recolor items to fit your needs (i.e. if your color is "RED" and you have a blue flower you want to use, you can recolor it red in order to do so! ...the final layout, however, must only include red + black/white/grey ...etc.).

Here are a couple of fantastic example projects for you, to get you inspired to play along...

This one was done by TDP Creative Team Member Corrin -- using her color, RED (plus black/white/grey)...
    [ using Every Day of December | The Full Collection from Laura Passage's shop; a few items recolored for the challenge ]

...and this one was done by TDP Designer Dawn (of Dawn by Design) -- using her color, GREEN (plus black/white/grey)...
    [using her brand-new Tattoo Shop | Collection ]

Thanks for joining into this month's COLOR CHALLENGE! If you're participating, don't forget the following useful info...
    • To receive credit for completing this challenge, make sure you follow all of the rules/guidelines listed above in this thread.
    • Once you have completed your project... post it in the CHALLENGE GALLERY here at TDP, and then create a post here in this thread and link us to a copy of that gallery item.
    • Your completed project must be posted in this thread by 11:59pm ET on the last day of this month in order to receive credit.
    • Anyone who completes ALL SIX (6) of the challenges at TDP this month will receive 50% OFF ONE ENTIRE PURCHASE any time during the following month.
    • Additionally, anyone who exclusively uses products by the designer hosting each individual challenge... will be entered to receive $5 to spend in that designer's shop (so in theory, you could be eligible to win 6 different $5 gifts if you use the correct designer's products in each challenge this month!)
    • Have fun! Let us know if you have any questions about this challenge (you can comment below, and even tag one of us by typing Laura Passage or corrin in your post, if needed!)
    Thanks for playing along, and we can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Last edited by Laura Passage; 12-31-2020, 06:11 PM.
    ~ Laura ~

i picked 2 which I interpreted as orange.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a lovely page Stef, and such a good thought (lets write a good chapter for this fresh start!).

I got 1, so here is my Red, Black, Gray, and White page.

(credits: Countdown To Christmas - Kit, And The Pursuit Of Happiness - Papers, A Fair To Remember - Elements (stitch), Scrap It - 2018 Holidays and Events, Every Day of December - Elements, and Family Funhouse - Add-On Alphas (RETIRED) all by Laura Passage)

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      Look how big your boys are! Love your page, as always!

• Kat Hansen
      Kat Hansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Love how you did that title work.

It took me a moment to get my head around Yellow (Hubby chose no.3), but It got there in the end! AND I used all Laura Passage.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      well the yellow really works!! (it is a colour I struggle with too!) - I love the bold alpha title and your honest journaling - the stars are an added bonus with your journaling about what a great team you are together! thanks for joining in with the challenge

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my gosh, and even your shirt is yellow and matches! hahaha #amazing

I got 5! This page actually has only two patterned papers (the one with the trees, and the wood-grain one .... it's in the background of the journaling card; both were basically white and gray), and three solid papers (white, dark green, and medium green). I did a lot of playing with blend modes.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      this challenge really makes the colour in photos stand out - and I love your evil sense of humour, so now I'm surious, how did they get that one down?! I love your use of the repeated big 7 (journal card and on the tree paper).

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      corrin, Once DS saw it, he said nothing but immediately went and found a stepladder, placed it below the chandelier, and climbed to the very top step to reach the candy cane. The hardest one to find was laying on a low (8 inches above the ground) book shelf on top of a stack of books.

And I did another one ... this one with lime green (4). And it occurred to me after posting that this one could work for Cornelia's challenge too!

Last edited by caliten; 01-09-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      double whammy! this a great page, very striking and somehow the black and white-ness goes really well with the theme of balance.

January 2021 / COLOR CHALLENGE

COLOR #3

Kit: AD Wanderlust & Speech Bubble by NGD Bon Voyage Elements.

Alpha: DBD Dreamcatcher

Font: Courier & Better Memories

http://

Comment

• Kat Hansen
      Kat Hansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Great colour combination. It really lets the blue sky in the photos just pop!

• tiffany scraps
      tiffany scraps commented
      Editing a comment
      I've taken a vacay with hubby there. So fun!

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't decide whether the offset & wonky paper/frame layers are my favorite thing... or if it's the heart for the 'O' in the 'SOLVANG' title. Great page!

I'm not in the run for the coupons but I hope I've done this correctly.

Fresh photos from this morning!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous nini! I love your shadows and of course how the green co ordinates perfectly with your pictures!

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my gosh, the matching pants in the photos! SO GREAT! Love it! Thanks for playing along.

I have to use yellow !

Proudly creating for Anita Designs - Designed by Irma - Dunia Designs - Monthly Chronicles and Rachel Etrog Designs

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      you use yellow really well! I like the horizontal lines - sort of gives your snowy page a horizon, thanks for joining in with the challenge.

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, the simplicity of this one is so fantastic. I just love the tiny pops of yellow with only black and white!

• Anne PC
      Anne PC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much ladies

I chose #12 - Pink. As I'm not eligible for any prizes, I took a few liberties with 'grey' -- not sure, but on my screen my dark grey elements look more brownish grey?

----------KATHERINE----------

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      oooh a pink one!! And girly pink with lace and flowers 0 but so very gorgeous! (I think you get away with the black/grey/brownish, at a quick glance it is definetly dark black-ISH!).

I cheated a little on this... when I first read the challenge I asked myson for a number and he gave me 3... yellow! Eeck! Not my favouritest colour to use. I stewed on this challenge for two weeks. Last night I asked him again for a number and he gave me 7.... now that I can do. Layout came together in less than an hour!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      It is funny how a colour can make us feel like we can or can't make it work! I feel that way about yellow and orange too, but I've done a couple of pages with yellow and really liked how they turned out, so I feel a bit better about it. However, your blue page is great! I love all the different shades of blue and just a simple element or two - lovely!

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL at how much difference the color change made in opening up your mind to this challenge! I think a little 'creative choosing' is just fine (I hate that you struggled w/ it for 2 weeks before that! gah). Love the page you ended up with!

And the son picked #1! Which is ironic because his favorite color is red. Fun challenge!

*Denise*

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      We had that tradition too, they used to go on his shoulders, but we’ve had to adapt!! Your page is lovely, I like the horizontal papers and washi and then the vertical photo, ribbon and journaling - it really works! Thanks for joining the challenge.

Sunny Yellow for me

Manna from Heaven

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a lovely way to look on the bright side, and it was lovely to go with a sunny yellow rather than a rainy blue for your page! Thanks for joining in with the challenge and I’m glad you stayed safe!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      What a pretty beach’s page! I love the central line of pictures and all the layers underneath them. I even think I recognise the kit you have used! Thanks for joining in the challenge!

Yellow seems a popular choice (or the popular random pick lol) I also got yellow - which isn't always a color I use in large doses on pages so took a bit to get to where I liked it. I used Wishing Well Creations kit Commencement

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      It really is popular isn’t it, 3 in a row!! And yours is great. I like the balloons with your theme, and the little snapshots in a film strip. Thanks for joining in with the challenge, and best of luck with all your moving home stuff!
Working...
X