• Welcome to the forum & gallery at The Digital Press! Each user will need to register an account in order to use this portion of our website. We look forward to seeing you in our forums and gallery! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selections below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JANUARY 2021 | FLAT LAY CHALLENGE from DAWN BY DESIGN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JANUARY 2021 | FLAT LAY CHALLENGE from DAWN BY DESIGN

Hi, everyone! My name is Dawn, and I'm the designer behind Dawn by Design. I'm happy to be part of this first group of team members kicking off the new year of TDP challenges!

The challenge I'm hosting is a FLAT LAY CHALLENGE. A "flat lay" image is one that's taken from directly above the object(s) being photographed. I first remember seeing this years ago, when the Martha Stewart brand came out with a cooking magazine called Everyday Food. I loved that magazine! I was a mom of littles, living in different states from where I'd grown up, away from friends and family, and almost everyday I would look forward to that evening when I would try a new recipe from one of the magazines. It was the highlight of my days at that time, learning to cook. And I loved the flat lay photography for the recipes (although I didn't know the name of the style at that time). You may also have seen flat lay images from your favorite style influencers when they post pictures of outfits they've planned and have laid out all the pieces on their bed and snapped a photo from above.

For this month's challenge we won't be using food or clothing flat lays for our inspiration. We'll be using flat lay interior design mood boards! I have a Pinterest board dedicated to this challenge which you are free to use for your inspiration. Alternatively, you can do an internet search for "flat lay mood board".

The main rule for this challenge is to scraplift your chosen flat lay image by replicating the shapes and layout of your mood board (as faithfully as possible) in your scrapbooking page. After that's done, you may use the image for any other inspiration you'd like: texture, pattern, color, etc.

When you post your page to the challenge, please also post a link to your original image inspiration. Thanks for playing!
    check out the FLAT-LAY PINTEREST BOARD here to see some examples

SAMPLE PAGE

This challenge was harder than I expected it to be and it took me a while to get going. But like all challenges which have stumped me initially, I ended up with a page that I absolutely love. Hope you end up with one you love, too! Here's my original inspiration image:

And my page:

Thanks for joining into this month's FLAT LAY CHALLENGE! If you're participating, don't forget the following useful info...
    • To receive credit for completing this challenge, make sure you follow all of the rules/guidelines listed above in this thread.
    • Once you have completed your project... post it in the CHALLENGE GALLERY here at TDP, and then create a post here in this thread and link us to a copy of that gallery item.
    • Your completed project must be posted in this thread by 11:59pm ET on the last day of this month in order to receive credit.
    • Anyone who completes ALL SIX (6) of the challenges at TDP this month will receive 50% OFF ONE ENTIRE PURCHASE any time during the following month.
    • Additionally, anyone who exclusively uses products by the designer hosting each individual challenge... will be entered to receive $5 to spend in that designer's shop (so in theory, you could be eligible to win 6 different $5 gifts if you use the correct designer's products in each challenge this month!)
    • Have fun! Let us know if you have any questions about this challenge (you can comment below, and even tag one of us by typing dawnfarias or caliten in your post, if needed!)
    Thanks for playing along, and we can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Last edited by dawnfarias; 01-02-2021, 03:48 PM.

I am going to use this image and play along

Last edited by Stefanie; 01-01-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

OK I had a lot of fun with this challenge. This is image that I chose to play with...

and here is my layout...

I used your Bite Me collection, and your slightly off alpha.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the squares matting the photo and how they are broken up into triangles! That really made for fun pattern mixing. And I see how you copied the circle shapes, too. So cool! Thank you for playing!

Great challenge!

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ClaireG ! I hope you get time to play along!

I lived for those Everyday Food magazines too, and used them to grow my culinary repertoire as a young adult / burgeoning chef. I've gotten rid of most of my back issues, but I do still have a few very dog-eared copies on the shelf.

Here's the pin I picked for inspiration:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/230176230944424690/

And my layout (flipped vertically, more or less):
    Last edited by caliten; 01-03-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I very much enjoyed this and may continue to challenge myself with something new like this. Thank you for the great challenge. I turned it side ways and have the sides touching the edges of my layout. Having some trouble posting all of my layouts. I will keep trying. It keeps saying I'm not authorized to load an attachment.

13.11.2018 - Vor Beginn einer Farbveränderung von Möbel oder Wand empfiehlt sich die Erstellung eines Moodboards. Wie beginne ich mit der Farbwahl beim Upcycling o
      Last edited by ninigoesdigi; 01-09-2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        You won't want to add an attachment, instead go into your galley and click on the layout that you want to add. On the right side under your user picture there are a few boxes with codes in them. If you click on the one that says BBcode, it will copy that and then you will paste that into your comment and viola, your layout should show up.

If you still have trouble, let me know!

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        WOW artgalstyle ! You got an amazing page out of this challenge! It's so fun and has tons of character and little things to look at. Great job!

• Laura Passage
        Laura Passage commented
        Editing a comment
        artgalstyle -- we've added the instructions (w/ a visual screenshot) for posting layouts into the challenge threads ...back into the main 'everything you need to know' post. It's pinned at the top of the challenge section here in the forum... but you can also find it using this direct link (& the info you need is all the way at the bottom) --- http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/for...at-tdp-in-2021

Oh thank you Hillary. I will try that next time. Still learning new things all the time. Ha!

Comment

• ninigoesdigi
        ninigoesdigi commented
        Editing a comment
        I edited both your posts for you so we can enjoy those beauties

So many mood boards to choose from! I love that everything on this one is on an angle, so that's what I'm going to play with --

Okay, I had SO MUCH FUN with this one! Here's my page --

Last edited by Kat Hansen; 01-04-2021, 10:29 PM.
      ----------KATHERINE----------

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        Kat Hansen - this is truly original! The angled view is so unique and creative! I can see why you would have had fun with it. I love comparing your page to the inspiration image to see what part matches with what part. Beautiful job!

• Kat Hansen
        Kat Hansen commented
        Editing a comment
        dawnfarias - thanks! Everything is rotated to -23 degrees, which was as close as I figured the inspiration piece was. Once I put my photos in, I just added a *cough* few *cough* things ... had to edit myself and stop adding things in the end! LOL

I'm just here for the fun of it! Thank you for the cool inspiration!!

I used this photo

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        Awwww!! You nailed it! What a fun page you got out of this. I love all of it but it's especially fun to see where you lifted the piece that's like bars or vertical lines and the placement of the flower.

January 2021 / Flat lay Challenge

Used: Dawn By Design Ocean Breeze Kit

Alpha: Dawn By Design Priorities Parade AP5

Additional Element: DBD Repartee EP Branch

Font: Baskerville

[/IMG]http://

Here is the board I lifted:
      https://www.instagram.com/p/CEpZjPWppIt/
      (unsure how to share the image without uploading to gallery so sharing the link)
      Excellent challenge Dawn!
      Thanks!
      Laurie
      Last edited by lauriezyskind; 01-10-2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        Great job! I am continually impressed with how well the inspiration images lend themselves to getting photos and embellishments on the page!

I took ages, getting sucked in to the pretty pictures on pinterest!! But I finally chose this one...

and I made this page (using your Dreamcatcher Collection)

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        You did amazing! I love the photo crop and everything else about how you lifted your inspiration image. Thanks for playing!

• pbrooks
        pbrooks commented
        Editing a comment
        I almost chose this one! I even downloaded the photo to my computer to help me decide. Great layout, I love the yellow and gray.

OMG this was fun, but hard!
      I went with this one -

Here is my interpretation -

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        I love this ClaireG ! You got a really great page design out of your inspiration image. Love that woodgrain along the bottom and how earthy everything feels. Beautiful!

Thank you for the challenge. It was fun!
      Do my star scatters look ok? I never really know how to place them.
      Here is my layout.

I wasn't sure how to add the picture from Pinterest since it is not in the Gallery.
      https://www.pinterest.com/pin/230176230944424439/
      Last edited by pbrooks; 01-12-2021, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a beautiful page pbrooks ! The colors of the papers and that wooden alphabet complement your photo so perfectly and I love the simplicity and balance that your inspiration photo gave to your page. If I were to change anything about your scatters, it would be to take the one under the upper right corner of the photo and rotate it clockwise and then back to the left a little, to make sure it was still matting the paper and photo. I feel like that would better go along with the vertical alignment of the papers AND would add some variety since the way it is placed right now is the same way it is placed under the word 'JOY'. BUT I also wouldn't have noticed unless you had mentioned it, so there's that, LOL. Even without that, it's a gorgeous page! Thank you for playing.

dawnfarias thank you so much for your help with the scatters. I really appreciate it. I will keep what you said about scatters for my next layout, too.

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I'm glad! Mostly because I felt kinda like a jerk, but I figure if *I* had asked for feedback then that would mean that I wanted feedback, so I gave feedback. But I had guilt about it, LOL. Glad it was well-received and helpful. Hope you have a nice day!

Such a fun challenge. I love the inspiration board and will be using it again. Thank you.

Opportunity to Reset

Comment

• dawnfarias
        dawnfarias commented
        Editing a comment
        I love this! I love the cluster you put where fabric pieces are in the corner and the vertical word art where the white piece was. And it's funny what you said about using the inspiration board again because I was thinking the same thing just now. I was on Pinterest and it keeps recommending similar flat lay images to me... and I pinned some more today, even though I've already played in this challenge, because I was thinking about doing this again in the future.
    Working...
    X