• Welcome to the forum & gallery at The Digital Press! Each user will need to register an account in order to use this portion of our website. We look forward to seeing you in our forums and gallery! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selections below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APRIL 2019 CHALLENGE | TECHNIQUE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APRIL 2019 CHALLENGE | TECHNIQUE

Welcome to April, and to this month's TECHNIQUE CHALLENGE!

For this challenge, I want you to focus on using cut-outs on your layouts. You must create a layout or project using at least 3 cut-outs. ***NOTE*** you cannot use a template that uses cut-outs in order to 'create' your cut-outs... you must create your own! There are many ways to make cut-outs in various software programs. We even have a Tutorial Tuesday article you can refer to here: Creating A Cut-Out. It does not matter which method you chose, as long as there are the required 3 cut-outs. Fun huh!?

For my layout, I used stickers from a kit & added an inner shadow to create my cut-outs. I also added a small bevel to the edges. Here's a look...
    [ credits -- Kit: Frivolity by Anita Designs ]

And for the fine print:
    • Your creation must be a new project (digital or hybrid layout) with at least 3 cut-outs. You are more than welcome to post how you made your cut-out effect, but not required.
    • Your creation must be made using 100% TDP products, and must be loaded into the gallery no later than 11:59 pm ET on April 30, 2019.
    • Once you've loaded your project image in the CHALLENGE GALLERY, please leave a comment in this thread and link us back to your project in the gallery.
    • Once you've posted your project here in this thread ... copy the URL to that post and add it to the APRIL 2019 TRACKING THREAD.
    • Have fun!
    Last edited by Laura Passage; 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM.

great challenge, thank you
    ----------GAELLE----------

Comment

When I was cruising through the shop, I saw this paper with the frames on it and figured it'd be perfect for this challenge. I opted for the destructive method of making the cut-outs (tediously made a perfectly sized square and positioned it exactly where I wanted it, selected it (marching ants) and then hid the selected area with a layer mask. (Actually, I made and positioned three squares, and the merged them into one layer before selecting.)

Totally unrelated to the this technique I also used the overlays from the Photoshop Templates that coordinate with the papers and elements to 'dress up' the individual frames on the background paper. I share this because it's another way to use the contents of an element pack that folks may not have considered.

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        SO perfect! I love the mix of cut out frames with that paper! Thanks for playing along Carrie!

Here's mine:

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful! I love your take on the cut outs! Thanks for playing along!

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it! Your background paper in your cutouts is like little arrows pointing out that gorgeous photo! Thanks for playing!

Thanks for this fun challenge

Proudly creating for Anita Designs - Designed by Irma - Dunia Designs - Monthly Chronicles and Rachel Etrog Designs

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gorgeous Anne! Thanks for playing along!

• Anne PC
        Anne PC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you AmieN1

Here is mine

Last edited by Jheri; 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Your layout is gorgeous Jheri! I see what you're saying now! Thanks for playing along!
        Last edited by AmieN1; 04-11-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect! I love the random rectangles & your fun photos! Thanks for playing!

Amie, I love the idea of the shadow to get the look!

Comment

Here is mine.

http://
        Last edited by lm44west; 04-28-2019, 06:06 PM.

Mary

Comment

• AmieN1
          AmieN1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect! Thanks for playing along!

Originally posted by AmieN1 View Post
        Welcome to April, and to this month's TECHNIQUE CHALLENGE!

For this challenge, I want you to focus on using cut-outs on your layouts. You must create a layout or project using at least 3 cut-outs. ***NOTE*** you cannot use a template that uses cut-outs in order to 'create' your cut-outs... you must create your own! There are many ways to make cut-outs in various software programs. We even have a Tutorial Tuesday article you can refer to here: Creating A Cut-Out. It does not matter which method you chose, as long as there are the required 3 cut-outs. Fun huh!?

For my layout, I used stickers from a kit & added an inner shadow to create my cut-outs. I also added a small bevel to the edges. Here's a look...
        [ credits -- Kit: Frivolity by Anita Designs ]

And for the fine print:
        • Your creation must be a new project (digital or hybrid layout) with at least 3 cut-outs. You are more than welcome to post how you made your cut-out effect, but not required.
        • Your creation must be made using 100% TDP products, and must be loaded into the gallery no later than 11:59 pm ET on April 30, 2019.
        • Once you've loaded your project image in the CHALLENGE GALLERY, please leave a comment in this thread and link us back to your project in the gallery.
        • Once you've posted your project here in this thread ... copy the URL to that post and add it to the APRIL 2019 TRACKING THREAD.
        • Have fun!
        ANy steps on how to get cut out shapes like you've done, the fancy border and around the flowers is awesome.

Comment

• AmieN1
          AmieN1 commented
          Editing a comment
          HI! So in the linked tutorial (http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ing-a-cut-out/) I used the 1st method. I applied an inner shadow & a small bevel. The border & flower sticker I used already had the sticker border around it- I just applied the above style to make it look cut out. hope that helps!

great challenge

Comment

• AmieN1
          AmieN1 commented
          Editing a comment
          SO great Sylvia! I LOVE the quotation marks!
      Working...
      X