MAY 2018 CHALLENGE | FLOWER BUCKET

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAY 2018 CHALLENGE | FLOWER BUCKET

Hello, and welcome to the May 2018 FLOWER BUCKET challenge here at TDP!

Spring is in the air! The temperatures are starting to creep upward, there are buds on the trees, and a greater variety of birds in my backyard. I can also tell it is spring because our local home improvement stores are already stocking fragile outdoor flowers even though it won't be warm enough for them at night for another month or so. We're super lucky though .... because digital flowers aren't susceptible to cold temperatures, and we can use them and enjoy them no matter what the weather.

With that in mind, let's get started on a brand new challenge this month -- the Flower Bucket Challenge. For this challenge, you are required to complete a layout or project that uses ONLY FLOWERS AS EMBELLISHMENTS. You read that right -- ONLY flowers -- and you must have at least five (5) on your page. No other type of embellishment can be used on the page or project you prepare for this challenge. In addition to those five (5) or more flowers, the only other digital items (besides photos or journaling) that can be used are digital papers. You may use as many digital papers as you like... and as many flower embellishments as desired (as long as you have at least 5). Flowers can be dimensional, or flat stickers/stamps... and can come from one product, or can be a mix of items from any kit/collection/product. As with all our challenges, all items must meet the "100% TDP" requirement.

Because I'm confident questions will arise, let's get real specific on what you can and cannot use...

You CAN use:
    - any flower element including real flowers, fake (silk, ribbon, string, epoxy, enamel, plastic) flowers, flower stamps, flower stickers, flower sequins, flower cut-outs.....
    - any flower element that also has leaves or a button or string or some other piece that the designer has flattened into a single element -- if (and only if) the designer is the one who created it that way, and it's part of one flattened layer in their kit/product;
    - flowers from as many different kits as you want (just make sure they're all credited correctly!);
    - as many papers as you want, and papers with any patterns or no patterns at all;
    - papers clipped to any shape you want (including flower-shaped masks, or other shapes/etc.);
    - as many photos as you want;
    - as much or as little journaling as you want in whatever font you want; and
    - any title alpha as long as it's made up of flowers (rare!);

You CANNOT use:
    - any elements that are not flowers, including leaves (leaves are fine if they're embedded in a flower element -- meaning it's the way the designer made it -- leaves are not okay if they are separate layers from the flowers, however, and it's also not okay if you merge the leaves and flowers into a single layer before adding it to your layout -- it has to have come that way from the designer, in a single layer);
    - journaling cards unless it has flowers on it and is specifically included to provide a place for your journaling; or
    - any non-flower alpha

If you have any questions, please ask. This challenge is quite restrictive (a real "challenge"!) ...and the last thing I want is for you to put hours of effort into a page that doesn't meet the challenge requirements.

After all that, here's a look at my own example page...

One more quick review of the rules:
    • Your layout or project must have a minimum of five (5) flower embellishments, and ONLY flower embellishments. Use of digital papers, photos and journaling are not restricted.
    • Your layout must use 100% TDP products.
    • Your layout must be uploaded in the CHALLENGE GALLERY, and posted in a new reply here no later than 11:59 pm ET on May 31, 2018.
    • Once you've loaded your page or project here, click on the # in the upper right corner of your post, and use the link there to update your tracker in the MAY 2018 TRACKING THREAD.
    • Lastly, have fun, and enjoy this opportunity to challenge yourself!

Last edited by caliten; 05-04-2018, 04:12 PM.

This was a toughy, but I am sure happy with my layout.

My Gallery

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a tough challenge, but I LOVE your page! Tender Moments is one of the first kits I ever bought at TDP and one of my favorite go-to kits.

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      caliten It's a great kit huh? I can't tell you how many times I have used it.

wow this was one such a challenge for me, but so satisfying to be able to say - I DID IT!!!

and just so you know I'm not cheating, what looks like green leaves, is actually a fabric flower!
    Last edited by corrin; 05-03-2018, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I applaud your creativity, I LOVE all your flower bouquets, and let Matthew know that I've got TONS of dandelions he can come pick from my front yard!

Caliten I am wondering about how to tell if something is 100% tdp as I have not been around long. I have a couple groups of elements that I got during digiscrap parades (like the garden party) but is everything in those parades count. As an example I have flowers from the brrrr parade that are labeled as ljs-brrr or flowers from the kindness matters set from ljs or mbennett. I don't want to use them if they don't work and I only have a few kits that I bought this weekend so I am trying to figure out if some other the other stuff I have has come from tdp. Thanks for any help or words of advice you can give me.

Kim
    ps- how can I get my siggie to show up at the bottom each time I post?

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kim. Okay, for the siggie, we have a whole tutorial on how to set it up. We had a siggie challenge for NSD, so that's probably the easiest way to find those instructions quickly.

You can use Digiscrap Parade elements and other freebies (including newsletter freebies, Facebook freebies, blog hop freebies, etc.), but ONLY if they come from TDP designers. The majority of this month's Parade designers are from TDP, but not all of them so you'll have to double check each one individually (Designed by Soco, Grace Lee, Jen Balding, and Melissa Bennett are not at TDP, nor is Lorie - LJS - but she's not in this month's Parade). If you look at the preview for each designer's contribution, there's usually a 'home store' logo on it. You can also check names (e.g., from the main Digiscrap Parade list on WordPress) against the list of designers who have stores at TDP. And if you're still not sure, you can certainly ask here or send me a PM.

• kimkern72
      kimkern72 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the help on all this. I did make a siggie, I will just need to get it to add to my posts.

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Luckily you just have to add the siggie once, and check the box to have automatically show up on all your posts. It won't show up on comments though, just in case you were wondering.

Here we go!! This was fun, I am really enjoying these challenges and doing pages I would never do other wise! Thanks tdp (As a side note this is the same reason I belong to a couple of book clubs. To read things I would never pick on my own)

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that this layout has the feel of a vase filled with flowers! Thanks for participating, Kim.

Corrin's little flowers inspired the scatter I made on this one.... so, thanks Corrin!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome Donna, it makes me smile to think I was a little inspirational!! And your scatter is lovely, as is your page (and the little sweetheart in. The phot too!).

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      This reminds me so much of a traditional paper paged, and that makes my hand hurt just thinking about having to punch all those holes for all those brads, and threading on all those little flowers..... I do love the end result though. All those tiny scattered flowers are great! Thanks for participating!

Ok... here's mine. I don't know if this disqualifies me but some of what I used, while originally from TDP, are now retired products. But everything is from TDP!

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! But your big picture makes me want to sneeze. I lived in Tucson years ago and there was a tree right outside my apartment that had the most gorgeous yellow blooms in the spring .... that made my eyes water, and my nose run, and the inside of my mouth itch. Fun times.

I love using flowers to decorate my page... however I had a hard time not adding some leaves lol.

http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gal...lossom&cat=519

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      See, there's a challenge in this for everyone. Your leaf-less layout is lovely. Thanks for participating this month!

caliten Can i use a button that is in the shape of a flower?

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      what a sweet memory to capture. Thanks for participating in this challenge, Judy.

here is mine

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful Jheri. Thanks for participating

Flower Bucket Challenge May 2018
    The leaves showing are on the stem of the element.

Comment

Working...
    X