OCTOBER 2017 CHALLENGE | RECIPE BOOK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCTOBER 2017 CHALLENGE | RECIPE BOOK

Hi there, Stefanie here with the second month of our "Recipe Book" challenges, which we've been running in conjunction with our series on The Digital Press Blog, called FOODIE FRIDAY (a combination of our normal designer features --AND-- a new version of the "Mess Hall" activities from our popular July Summer Camp).

I don't know about you, but I spend way too much time thinking about food! What we have eaten and enjoyed... what's quick and easy... what I feel like cooking... ingredients we have on hand... and what everyone will actually eat.

The "Recipe Book" challenge series that we are running in September, October, and November this fall requires you to use one of two different recipe page templates that we provide. The templates were both designed by TDP's Laura Passage, and are part of a full series that you will find in her shop. If you already used the September FREEBIE template last month... you need to use the October FREEBIE template this month. If you're new to this challenge, however, in October 2017... you may choose between the two templates.
    Here's a look at each of the 2 different options...

1---THE SEPTEMBER 2017 FREEBIE TEMPLATE...

DOWNLOAD THE SEPTEMBER FREEBIE TEMPLATE HERE
    (available in both 12x12 and 8x10 format; both included in the download file)
    2---THE OCTOBER 2017 FREEBIE TEMPLATE...

DOWNLOAD THE OCTOBER FREEBIE TEMPLATE HERE
    (available in both 12x12 and 8x10 format; both included in the download file)
    And here's a look at the full series of templates, which is available for sale in Laura Passage's shop at The Digital Press.

http://shop.thedigitalpress.co/Cookb...ollection.html
    As for the content of your recipe book pages... the recipes you scrap can be based on the FOODIE FRIDAY recipes we post on The Digital Press blog ---or--- the recipes can be your own, instead. Totally up to you! The source of the recipe doesn't matter -- but the photos you use must be your own.

As you can see, the templates provided are very versatile... and you can modify or add to them to create your own style of album. Here is a look at one of the pages that I have made with this template set. I used the template provided in September 2017 (see above)... and also used the Baked With Love digital collection designed by MEG Designs.

Creating multiple recipe pages using these templates would make an awesome printed book come December for you to use as a holiday gift -- should you play along creating a different recipe page each week between now and then, for example.

If you think you will be using these pages to create a full cookbook / album... here are just a few hints by TDP creative team member Carolyn (host of the September version of this challenge) on creating an album:
    1. Decide what size you want to print. I will be printing out 8*8
    2. Select fonts & use consistently. I have used Century Gothic (14 point) for the main recipe and 2 handwritten font for notes and recipe name
    3. Decide on colour scheme. I have selected one background paper and have then used shades of the main colour for colour blocks and heading colour.
    4. Decide on one consistent shadow direction/size for any elements/etc. you add to your pages.
    5. *TIP* If you happen to work in Photoshop CC, you can use it to set up a Library for your recipe book and add the layer styles, fonts, and any colours you will be using.
    Remember that there are a lot of wonderful kits in the store designed for cooking-style layouts or a recipe book. Just enter "cooking" or "recipe" in the shop's search bar for results. I discovered a couple of new kits today that I had forgotten all about, so it is definitely worth checking out the shop!
    Here are the rules of this challenge:
    • Your digital or hybrid recipe page must use one of the 2 template provided (see links, above) and all photos must be your own. If you already used the September template last month... you need to use the October template this month. If you're new to this challenge, however, in October 2017... you may choose between the two templates.
    • Your layout must be loaded into the gallery no later than 11:59pm ET on October 31, 2017.
    • Once you've loaded your layout into the CHALLENGE GALLERY, leave a comment in this thread sharing your page with us and linking us back to your layout in the gallery.
    • Once you've posted your project here in this thread... copy the URL to that post and add it to the OCTOBER TRACKING THREAD.
    • Have a great time!
    I can't wait to see your pages! Have fun cooking and creating!

Last edited by Laura Passage; 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM.

Still waiting for the "Foodie Friday" for 10/6 to be posted in the blog!
    Well, I guess there ISN'T a 10/6 "Foodie Friday," so here is an old family recipe.

Last edited by KAPOH; 10-08-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      @Kapoh
      There is no Foodie Friday blog post this week because of the DSD celebrations.
      You are welcome to browse through the previous Foodie Friday posts, or use your own recipes?

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, those potatoes are drool worthy. Stunning take on the challenge. Thanks for playing along with my challenge.

An old family recipe:

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it, thanks for playing along with my challenge. I love that you cut elephants and donkeys from the date bread.
      Fabulous idea and wonderful documenting and memory keeping.

I've decided to use some of my own recipes and FINALLY get some of my recipes in order.

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the pretty floral background paper (my favourite kind) and then the sweet way you added colours into the title letters.Awesome close up photo finishes everything off perfectly.

For week 2 I tried a pie recipe I found in a magazine. It was very easy to make and yummy.

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the photo series, it does look fabulous and so pinterest worthy.
      Thanks for playing along with my challenge this month.

For the 7th week of the recipe book challenge I took the carrot cupcake recipe and altered it to make it easier. I basically followed the frosting recipe as provided in the blog. I also made them "regular" size. These cupcakes were WONDERFUL. Very moist and the pineapple adds a nice element to the crumb. I used flavored cream cheese (honey/pecan) in the frosting which may have been the reason I had to add nearly a cup more of sugar. I found even with that addition and refrigeration that the frosting was just a bit runny. BUT WONDERFUL TASTING! Those are marzipan carrots I made for decoration.
    Last edited by KAPOH; 10-19-2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I opted to use a favorite family recipe for this week's page. The hardest part about this recipe is chopping onions!

Comment

This is my recipe for the 8th week of the recipe challenge:

Comment

This is a family fave and it's super easy to make.

Last edited by shelbelle; 10-24-2017, 09:42 AM. Reason: had pretzels listed twice in the ingredients list. updated to reflect correct ingredient list.

Comment

For my week 9 recipe:

Comment

Thanks for the template!

Comment

As the recipe says, this is better on day 2; I'm not sure I would have been able to make it if I didn't have my husband to beat the mixture!

Comment

This was my late husband’s favorite saying, and has become mine
                  Judy

Comment

Working...
                  X