MARCH 2017 CHALLENGE | RANSOM NOTE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARCH 2017 CHALLENGE | RANSOM NOTE

Hi, Jennifer here bringing you a new challenge for the month of March... the Ransom Note Challenge!

Have you ever written someone a ransom note? (If you have, I need to hear more about THAT story!).

In typography, the ransom note effect is the result of using an excessive number of juxtaposed typefaces. It takes its name from the appearance of a stereotypical ransom note, with the message formed from words or letters cut randomly from a magazine or newspaper in order to avoid using recognizable handwriting.

This month's RANSOM NOTE CHALLENGE will require you not only to include at least 50+ words' worth of journaling on your layout, but also mix various alphas and word strips into the text, as well. Your layout should shoot for having at least 25% of its journaling made up of the random alphas and word strips (with the other 75%, max, being a font or fonts of your choice).

Here is a look at the page I created for this challenge...

Here are the rules of this challenge...
    • Create a layout including 50+ words worth of journaling
    • 25% of your journaling should be a mix of alphabets & word strips
    • Your layout must be loaded into the gallery no later than 11:59pm ET on March 31st, 2017
    • Once you've loaded it into the CHALLENGE GALLERY, leave a comment in this thread and link us back to your project in the gallery
    • Once you've posted your project here in this thread... copy the URL of that post and add it to the MARCH 2017 TRACKING THREAD
    • Have fun!

Last edited by Laura Passage; 03-01-2017, 11:20 AM.

This one took awhile, but I am so overwhelmingly pleased with how it turned out. It was definitely a challenge, but a GREAT one!!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      wow Carrie, that is stunning!

• JenniferHignite
      JenniferHignite commented
      Editing a comment
      This is absolutely fabulous!!! Thanks so much for playing along :D

• Sondra
      Sondra commented
      Editing a comment
      STUNNING!

Oooh this one was tough! But at least I got to use bits from a lot of different wonderful designers!

Comment

• JenniferHignite
      Editing a comment
      This is so bright and fun Shannon!! Love the mix of alphas and word art you used! Thanks for playing along :D

This was such a fun challenge!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I love this, it is quirky and fun and I wish you lots of luck with your nutrition!

• JenniferHignite
      Editing a comment
      So right there with you on your goal to enjoy nutrition! I love your journaling and the mix of colors & fonts you used! The balloon with your photo is the perfect touch! Thanks so much for playing along :D

well I didn't quite make it! That is ok, I had fun trying, but out of 71 words, I only used 11 fonts/word strips, and when I added more I didn't like it! it was a great challenge though, thanks!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, caliten a Stake YW adviser is the name of the job I do at church. A stake is an area (basically 7 towns in this case), and there is a president and 2 advisers who support the youth group leaders in each town (the youth group leaders for 12-18yr old girls - the organisation is called Young Women - YW for short). In effect we plan, organise and run a social event each month, and a camp each year, and support the town youth group leaders in any way they need. Sounds simple, huh!?! It is a voluntary job, and I love it, and right now it is one part of who I am! Maybe I should have said, I'm a Mormon!
      Last edited by corrin; 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM.

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      not being of the Mormon persuasion myself, I'm not hip to all the lingo, obviously. What you're doing sounds like an enjoyable volunteer job though, and I'm glad you identify with it!!

• JenniferHignite
      Editing a comment
      Well if it was up to me I would say this totally fits the bill for the ransom look & it looks so amazing!! Love all your layering and the mis of fonts and word strips you used!!!

It was so much fun!

Comment

• JenniferHignite
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely beautiful photos and design Stefanie!! Thank you so much for playing along :D

Here's mine:

Comment

• JenniferHignite
      Editing a comment
      Love this!! The large numbers with the number paper is so eye catching! Love the word art & fonts you used for your journaling! My mom is turning 70 this year and we have decided 70 is the new 40 Thanks so much for playing along with the challenge!!

Comment

• JenniferHignite
      Editing a comment
      So in love with everything about this!! The font you used, the mix of word art and the whole newspaper look! What an awesome way to document an amazing quote!!! Thanks for playing along :D
Working...
X