3RD BIRTHDAY GAME | 3 FAVORITES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3RD BIRTHDAY GAME | 3 FAVORITES

Hey, everyone - Dawn here! I've been enjoying this Thanksgiving week in America by relaxing from work and spending time with my immediate and extended family. Plus: food. And scrapbooking. Which brings me to the theme of this game: 3 FAVORITES.

The rules are simple: list three of your favorite things and explain the why behind them. Here are my things and my whys:

1. SCRAPBOOKING: Scrapbooking is one of my favorite things because I can lose myself in the process of making something memorable and pretty. The process and end product are all mine to decide on (I don't have to share or consider anyone else's opinion, ha!), whether it's a page I'm making or a product to sell. I always feel centered and refreshed after accomplishing a design that I think came out well.

2. TV WITH THE FAMILY: My family and I watch lots of show reruns and movie repeats at our house. I love this so much because not only are we all cozy together but we talk to each other in quotes from the shows and movies. It's a shared experience that happens over and over and I feel it bonds us and creates a culture unique to our house since our chosen shows and movies are different than other houses might watch. We laugh a lot and there's something so enjoyable about my kids being old enough and smart enough to rock the movie quotes with my husband and I.

3. EXERCISING OUTSIDE: This is a new one for me, and a personal surprise, but I have begun enjoying going outside for a walk/jog with my earbuds in and my music really loud. I enjoy both the challenge of pushing myself a little farther than the time before and I love being in my own thoughts and my own world for the thirty minutes that I'm out. I have even begun to relish the heat and sun when I step out, instead of resenting them. You'd think a native Texan would have learned that early in life, but nay, it took me 40 years.

Your turn! Share with us your three favorite things and the why behind each of them.

Anyone who participates in this game will be entered into a random drawing to win $5 that can be spent in my shop at TDP. All game entries will be due by 11:59pm ET on Wed 11/29 (so we can get the winners randomly selected in time to send out notices in the newsletter on Friday 12/1).
    Last edited by dawnfarias; 11-24-2017, 11:41 AM.

1. Digi scrapbooking and photography, because you can't have one without the other. Love pairing my photos (usually multi-photos) with stories for maximum impact. I know that scrapbooking makes me a happier person and I love the thought of leaving a legacy behind in this way. Camera phones make it so easy to snap ordinary everyday things and events that I know I will treasure even more years from now.

2. Eating out, love dates with hubby. Now that the children can stay home alone I will take any and all opportunities to enjoy a meal - just the two of us. Outside but under the shade is just the best. Yesterday we celebrated 30 years since he proposed and I said yes. Heavenly food in a fabulous setting.

3. Siamese cats, I love all cats, but the Siamese have my heart - those big bat ears and the curious nature paired with the voice that is ever ready to "talk back" simply the best.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      We also just recently arrived at the place where our kids can be home alone for a little bit while my husband and I go out. It's such a wonderful thing!

Hhhmmm, three things --

1. BEING CREATIVE - in whatever form that might take (scrapbooking, photography, needlepoint, knitting, drawing). I work long days, and have a long commute (we're talking leave the house at 5:30 a.m. and get home around 7:30 - 8:00 pm, Mon-Fri), so being creative is truly me time. Even if I've been working on a computer all day and then come home to digi-scrap for a few hours, it's ... well, it's different. My mind is in a different place and it's play time, not work time.

2. SPENDING TIME WITH MY MOM - We are worlds apart, like literally on other ends of the earth, so time we get to spend together is a favorite for me. As I've gotten older (and since my Dad passed away), I've realized how precious this time is - even something as simple as going to her favorite coffee shop in the mall and having coffee (well, hot chocolate for me - I don't do coffee), and a muffin or pastry.

3. ME - Okay, okay, don't judge here! ROFL! I need to explain. In February of this year, I set myself down a new path - one I haven't been down in 20 years. It's been quite the adjustment, from learning to enjoy the quiet, enjoying the freedom to do what I want, when I want, putting myself first for a change (long overdue, I might add!). At first, I thought I was being completely selfish, but now? Nope. So I'm my own favorite!

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      Putting yourself first is a good thing - glad you figured it out!

My faves:

1. (DIGITAL) SCRAPBOOKING
    This one was easy to pick! It's my creative outlet. I love being creative without making a mess. I love photography and due to digital scrapbooking, I actually do something with my photos after I took them. I started this hobby because I wanted to have my photos printed in an album. But I wanted the albums to be fun to look at.

2. STARBUCKS COFFEE
    I love coffee. And what I like about Starbucks are all the different flavors you can get. I made a deal with myself that whenever I travel, I go seek for a Starbucks and have a coffee. So far I drank a Starbucks coffee in London, Paris, New York, Vienna, Belgium (Bruges, Antwerp, Brussels), Germany (Cologne) and Scotland. I hope to add some more countries/cities to my list.

3. ROLLER BLADING
    This was my hobby when I was a kid. And one year ago I felt I needed to be more active and excersise more. So I bought a new pair of roller blades. I try to go rollerblading every day (when the weather allows) for at least one hour. It's so much fun to do this again! And I lost some weight. Yay!

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      What a fun tradition re: Starbucks!

It is so intereting to read why you love the things you love! Here are my three:

1) Smoothies - I just love them! They taste so fresh and juicy, and alhtough they aren't tip top healthy, they are pretty healthy (esp compared to no 2!). They also remind me of our honeymoon, which was the first time I tried them, in a little smoothie shack in Canada!

2) Brownies - what's not to love about bronwies!?!

3) Outdoors! - It just does something to my brain to be outside, in the fresh air! I am not really a big hiker, but I do like to go for a walk on the forest, or along the coast, or at the park. IT seems an easy way to entertain the kids too, and they (the boys esp!) seem to need a bit of fresh air and a run around to help keep everybody sane!

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      My five year-old calls them smovies. I kinda hope she never stops...

• shelbelle
      shelbelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have any go-to smoothie recipes?

Corrin, you made me laugh. My boys don't consider that outdoor is good to keep them sane but i surely need them to be outside if i want to keep myself sane. Here are my faves

1. Photography - I've really begun photography when my firt boy is born. Now that they are all at school, i take some pic when i have a walk and i have all the time to pay attention to the light, the composition...

2. Chocolate. A day without chocolate is not a good day. but it must have nothing in it : no nuts, nof fruits...

3. swimming. I've made competition when i was Young (in an other life). now i don't have time to swimm anymore but i looove to be in water (ocean, lake, swimming pool)

Proudly creating for Anita Designs - Designed by Irma - Dunia Designs - MEG Designs and Monthly Chronicles

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      No nuts in your chocolate?! Seems a little suspect to me...

Having just celebrated Thanksgiving, I am focusing on my families for this list of favorites.

1. My Family in the traditional sense - I am blessed to be part of a large family. Even when we are apart, there is so much love for all.

2. My Church Family - beginning with God and including my pastor, music director, fellow choir and parish council members, and many more. Being part of a church family gives me support in all event of my life.

3. My Creative Family - including both real-life and online friends who nourish my creative spirit. I love to be challenged to expand my creativity.

Yes I also love chocolate, coffee and fuzzy pajamas, but . . . . family first!

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      How beautiful to have so many families. <3

Let's see... I am going to skip some obvious ones like my family and friends, and skip to a few random ones.

1. Cherry Coke - I grew up drinking Coke with my Dad, and there was always something about the Coke at home that tasted so much better than a Coke from somewhere else. One day I tried a Cherry Coke and it stuck. I love me an ice cold Cherry Coke and always have to have some stocked at home.

2. Mallow Magic popcorn - This is a recent find, and as a person who doesn't really care for popcorn it was quite surprising to find that I think about it a lot. LOL

3. Digi-scrapping - As a stay-at-home-mom I don't have a lot of "me" time, but my digi-scrap life allows me some of that, and some much needed adult interaction.

My Gallery

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay Cherry Coke! I have to go figure out what Mallow Magic popcorn is, though... Dare I?

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      dawnfarias It is Jolly Time brand popcorn, and it is seriously addictive.

Three Favorites...
    1. Disney World-- I am a Disney girl through and through. We spent our honeymoon there and it was the first time I had been since I was 4 or 5. Now, I have been married almost 13 years and we've been around 25 times together. Sometimes purely for fun, sometimes my husband's job takes us down there... regardless, I just love it.

2. Baking-- I absolutely love whipping up tasty treats. Sometimes I'll eat them, but more often than not I just enjoy the baking process.

3. Strawberry Lemonade- I just love it.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      I enjoy baking, too! My kids have started baking, as well. One of my kids, in particular, will on a whim just look up a recipe online and ask to make it. I never ever ever say no, LOL.

1. Sunrise. I don't usually like getting up before the sun (even though I do most days), but oh do I ever love seeing a beautiful sunrise, especially when it's quiet and it feels like I'm the only one witnessing it.

2. Fresh Snow. I'm weird. I like the snow. I like it when it's actively snowing. I like the day after when the sun makes the fresh snow glitter like diamonds. I love listening to my children squeal with delight as they play in the snow too.

3. (and because I appreciate the randomness of Hillary ) Wilhelmina Pepermunt. They're quarter-sized not-sweet, not-spicy chalky peppermints from the Netherlands. We have some friends who ship us a little bag of them every year at Christmas, and I've always turned my nose up at them, but after a decade of snubbing, I finally tried one, and ... I think my world changed. After we finished off the last bag, my deliriously wonderful husband ordered a 3 kg box of them, and I ration them out (limit 2 per day per person). You can have all the Halloween candy, I just want my Wilhelminas.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think you're weird to like snow! Now, if you tell me you still love the snow after five days when it's grey, ugly, slushy, and has melted and then refrozen thereby making driving safely a guessing game.... well, THEN you'd be weird.

• Kat Hansen
      Kat Hansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay! A fellow snow-lover! Maybe it's because I didn't grow up around any snow and that's why I love it so much? I love watching the snow fall, seeing everything turn white, the way it clings to the branches. Now, of course, being stuck at home for a couple of days because the office closes ... well, gosh, darn, that would be a shame.

• shelbelle
      shelbelle commented
      Editing a comment
      I love fresh snow too! I love watching it fall (as long as I'm not driving in it) and it's so pretty for the first 24 hours or so until it gets all gray, dirty, ugly, and slushy.

My three favorites:

1. Sunshine- While I love the 4 seasons aspect of where we live- I REALLY love sunshine- even if it's cold & sunny- there's just something about the sun shining on your face that warms the soul!
    2. Chocolate- any will do- but if I have a choice- the darker the better! Mmmm Chocolate!!!
    3. I'm going to go with the cliche as well- Scrapbooking! I love looking back at the albums of my kids little stories that I honestly don't remember anymore. I am so thankful that I was able to document those forever!

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      Sunshine, chocolate, and scrapbooking - all perfect things.

3 of my favorite things:
    1 - DigiScrapping ... I used to create traditional paper pages, but discovered digital scrapbooking a few years ago when I started using pinterest. I was hooked by the fact that clean up was a breeze! Since I don't have space for a separate craft room or even a craft table, I would be scrapping on the dinner table. I don't have much time to digiscrap, so it's still pretty new to me -- & I am enjoying the craft when I do have the time.
    2 - Holiday music ... actually, I love all kinds of music, but a radio station I listen to just started playing holiday music round the clock. & I do love this time of year!
    3 - Spending time with my kids & granddaughter ... all my kids are adults, so I enjoy the time when we are together. I used to watch my granddaughter at least twice a week, but now that she is in 1st grade, I don't get to see her as often either.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      Digiscrapping is definitely a breeze to clean up after! I have a tiny corner in my laundry room where I can paper scrap if I want to, but I keep putting it off for the reasons you mentioned.

So is it just me or am I seeing a theme here? digi scrapping (or something creative), and then coffee and chocolate?! ROFL!! Maybe the latter two are what fuels creative minds

Comment

• Joan K
      Joan K commented
      Editing a comment
      Kat, I think you are spot on with your observations!

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed!

• jazzmom21
      jazzmom21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, I was going to name those three, but I was trying to be a bit different ... Chocolate, coffee (Starbucks), Scrapping -- what more would a gal want?? (or need?? LOL!)

My three faves (in no particular order):
    1. COOKING: I love to cook. I'm always up for trying new recipes and learning new ways of preparing food. As part of this, I love to watch The Food Network and The Cooking Channel as I pick up tidbits about why things are done a certain way (for instance, why it's best to cook a roast low & slow) or to jump-start my own creativitiy.
    2. DIGI-SCRAPPING: I've met a bevy of wonderful people over the years I've been digi-scrapping and some have become true friends.
    3. MEDITATION: A friend suggested meditation about three years ago and I'm so glad she did. It helps calm my mind and quell my anxiety better than anything else ever has.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      I love cooking and and cooking shows, too!

3 Yummy favorites:

1. Kupp's Coffee
    She makes the best caramel macchiato that is so scrumptious.
    2. Bettersweet Bakery
    She makes the best caramel cake that pairs so delightfully with Assam tea.
    3. Sticking with the caramel theme: Estes Park Caramel Salt Water Taffy with Sea Salt
    The salt sends the sweetness over the top in your mouth.

Also did a caramel favorites page for the birthday rule of thirds challenge.
    Last edited by jang; 11-26-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• dawnfarias
      dawnfarias commented
      Editing a comment
      I love everything sweet and sea salt.
Working...
X