Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Part II - Shadow Warping

Shadow Warping

Hi everyone. I'm Rae, and I'm here to continue the lesson on shadowing. Shadowing adds dimension, giving your page a depth, a sense of realism, and is a step in your creative process that is worth taking. There are a multitude of ways to manipulate a shadow on a layer and I find that warping a layer is my go-to tweak of most layer styles I apply. There are a few ways I do this. Let me walk you through the steps I take. There probably are different ways to achieve this as Photoshop usually has more than one way to do just about everything, but this is my way. I do these steps so often that I created an action with a hot key to apply my basic shadow and then I can quickly warp it. My advice to you is, if you are able to create an action for steps you repeat often, do so. It can save a lot of time, but it is not necessary. Okay, so now on to my Photoshop tutorial that is in two steps, shadow warping with the transform warp tool and shadow warping with the puppet warp tool. For anyone using an editing program other than photoshop, hopefully there will be a way to achieve this in your program.

Using The Warp Tool:

Put the shadow on it's own layer: click the arrow beside the Fx symbol to open the menu, hover your cursor over the drop shadow style and right click, then select "create layer". Now you will see a layer underneath that is your separated drop shadow layer (you'll see a double box icon on the right side of the layer). Now you are all set to manipulate this shadow layer. This is when the fun starts. While on the new shadow layer (the layer beneath your product layer), open up the warp tool with shortcut command "Control + T" or, in the menu, select edit>transform>warp. You will now have a box around your product/shadow with control points that you can pull to warp your shadow.Click on a control point and drag, pulling the shadow from that point. If you click in the box itself, you can move the whole shadow. This method is especially useful when wanting to pull the shadow over a bit to imitate a lifted corner. I lift paper and photo edges with this method. To further manipulate the shadow, you can double click on the drop shadow in the Fx menu and the layer style box will open up. I envision what a realistic shadow would be. Would the shadow have softer or harder edges? (Gaussian blur will soften the edges. The blur can be achieved by selecting filter>blur>gaussian blur but save that step til the end.) What direction do I want my shadow to follow? I often position the angle at about 65-80 degrees. You can change the blend mode, I usually choose multiply. You can also change the opacity if you want to lessen the impact of the shadow. It may sound like a lot of steps but I promise you, once you have done this a few times, you will speed through the steps quickly (or create an action).

Using the Puppet Warp Tool:

For this method, create a separate layer (as explained above), and while on that layer, select the puppet warp tool (from the menu, select edit>puppet warp). Your product will now have multiple control points, many more than with the transform warp tool. So now it gets a little tricky. You will click various control points to anchor your shadow which means that when you select a point to pull your shadow those anchors you set down will hold the shadow in place. Think of them as push pins holding things down. I start with 3-5 anchor points (on the outside edges), then pull the shadow. You can remove anchors by clicking on the anchor while holding down the ALT key and can add more anchor points if needed. This is a bit more time consuming, especially when first getting used to this powerful tool, but it gives you so much more control and the more you use it, the easier it gets.

Have fun trying these two methods of warping a drop shadow!

Special Offers:

Last edited by Laura Passage; 07-08-2015, 11:31 AM.

Don't forget, if you have any questions....ask away! Myself, Karla or one of the other members will help. That's one of the great things about TDP, everyone is so friendly and helpful! So, ladies....let's see what you do with your shadows!

Comment

• pbrooks
      pbrooks commented
      Editing a comment
      No questions yet, just wanted to tell you that I tried the transforming tool on my shadow and a little Gaussian blur. I had tried this before on a layout a long time ago but had forgotten about it.
      Last edited by pbrooks; 09-08-2015, 02:14 PM. Reason: To add layout

I combined both Science assignments in my layout. I overlayed the star pattern paper to the shadow of my nephew. I also warped the shadow of the string to make the bottom appear to pull away from the page.

Comment

• bcgal00
      bcgal00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Fabulous use of the shadowing techniques and fantastic extraction of your large photo!

• Pallavi01
      Pallavi01 commented
      Editing a comment
      oh wow! i was only looking at the shadow of the string! but when you pointed out the star shadows...now i cannot look at anything else! lovely work!

I think I need more practice at this, you make it look so easy on your pages! I have admired these kinds of shadows, and now that I've tried doing it too, I admire you masterful people all the more! I wanted to make it look like the corner of my photo lifted up over the veneer alpha, and I'm very open to hints and tips, I don't think I quite achieved what I envisioned!

Comment

• Pallavi01
      Pallavi01 commented
      Editing a comment
      love your page and the shadow looks awesome! when i play with the shadows...if i am not happy then i just remember that i need more practice you made a great start with this one though!

Try pulling the shadow under and to the left a bit, not pulling it to the right side of the corner. I'll find a page to show what I mean. Be right back (lovely page BTW, love how you placed the string).

I'm back. Is this what you were going for? I pulled the shadow downwards on the bottom right but then slightly pulled it to the left.

The bottom left shadow is smaller, closer to the frame as there isn't much separation between the frame and the paper but on the right side where you want to simulate a lifted edge, you want the shadow to be wider as their is more separation. If the shadow edges are too hard, select gaussian blur which will soften and blur the shadow edge. I find that somewhere around 4-7 usually works for me.
    Last edited by bcgal00; 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, I'll give it a go, thanks! I did pull the shadow down and to the right, but not very much (not brave enough!) - I think I need to pull it down and out further, but then move the whole shadow layer to the left a bit - I think that is what you are saying (and yes, that LO shows the effect I am after!).
      Last edited by corrin; 07-09-2015, 03:57 PM.

• Pallavi01
      Pallavi01 commented
      Editing a comment
      these are great tips Rae! i discovered these a few montsh ago and have never had as much fun with shadows as i have now!

I used the warp tool on the shadow (upper left photo)....a different technique than I usually use (smudge tool) to get a similar effect. This page is part of a larger set of pages about a multi-day trip we took recently, hence the lack of a title and date.

Comment

• bcgal00
      bcgal00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the page and the slightly lifted edges of the photo frame give the page an added depth!

• Pallavi01
      Pallavi01 commented
      Editing a comment
      sweet page and lovely panoramic photo! your shadow has come out great and i can totally see the lifted edges!

I love wrapping my shadows. The puppet wrap gives me weird effects, though! I'll try to show you tomorrow, hopefully you'll be able to help me figure out if it's normal or if I'm doing something wrong! LOL

Comment

Yes, show me Chloe and I'll try to help.

Comment

I warped the paper airplane and the knot. Thanks for the great tutorial!!!

Comment

• bcgal00
          bcgal00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Fabulous photos and the shadow warping adds a great depth to your page!

• Pallavi01
          Pallavi01 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely pictures! very well scrapped and the shadow work is lovely

‚ÄčI know I'm too late for the coupon but I loved this page so much that I still have to share! Thanks for the inspiration, I loved to play with the wrapping tool!

Comment

• bcgal00
          bcgal00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Such a pretty photo and love the warped paper you used!

• Pallavi01
          Pallavi01 commented
          Editing a comment
          your shadows have come out really well! love the large pic and lil touch of perfect elements!

Thank you so much for this!!!!! You really made my shadows go from blah to hurrah!!!!! I'm so THRILLED!! I scrapped a page but it was not with TDP items, so I couldn't play or post.

I made a screen capture of a drop shadow I did by making a new layer and using the warp tool. I was THRILLED with how the shadow on the leaves came out!

Comment

• bcgal00
          bcgal00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! Glad you found the tutorial helpful.

• Pallavi01
          Pallavi01 commented
          Editing a comment
          they do look lovely! isnt it amazing when we learn something new?

Thank you - it was VERY helpful!!!

Comment

Glad to see that you guys are still playing with warping and shadowing! It's wonderful to hear!

Comment

Working...
          X