Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Language Arts Part II - Making each page meaningful through heartfelt journaling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language Arts Part II - Making each page meaningful through heartfelt journaling

Making Each Page Meaningful Through Heartfelt Journaling

Good Morning Everybody! Welcome to lesson # 2 of the Summer School.

If you look through my gallery, you will notice one common theme across all my layouts – my love for journaling and telling the stories behind the pictures and the pretty products at TDP

It wasn’t always so. There was a time when I used to dread writing anything on my layouts and I would just let the word arts do all the talking. But with those initial layouts of mine, I always felt something was missing. As if I wanted to say so much more but its just not coming across – no matter how satisfied I am with the layout, creatively. Therefore, slowly by slowly I started putting my own words on my pages the way I liked it. I definitely had a lot of eeek moments in the beginning – a LOT of them! But as the old saying goes…practice DOES make one perfect and I feel I have found my happy medium with journaling.

Below, I want to share with you some of the things I think about when I write on my pages and then we will go into some ideas for journaling on yours.

1. Balance – (This will come in handy when doing your homework assignment! ) I look for balance in my stories, balance between facts and feelings. Its important for me to note down the Ws, what where whens of the event (You can find more details on this in Monday’s lesson by Willemijne) but equally important (or arguably sometimes more important) for me is to note how did it make me 'feel' during the event? What was I thinking during/about the event.

Below is a layout that gives you an idea. Here, I capture a regular morning of my DS with my father and how it made me feel.

2. Point of View - In my layouts, my journaling is always in the second person. I am generally telling the stories to my son. The reason behind this is simple. I scrap to let my son know what his childhood was like, what our days are like when he is growing up. So I always ‘talk’ to him in my stories.And that’s something I would encourage you to do. Think about who is this particular layout for and ‘speak’ to them. Think about what you would want your reader to know and build your journaling from there.

Like in this layout, I am telling my son about his love for sand and his partner in crime

3. First thoughts - I always put all my thought onto the layout first – no thinking - just getting all my jumbled thoughts on paper so to say. And then review and edit out the stuff that doesn’t make sense. It sounds small but this really helped me get over my fear and it went a long way in building my confidence. The power of editing is amazing! So, don’t be afraid to just put it all out there, it does not need to be perfect in the first attempt – you can always add or delete

Now, to add some jazz to your pages while also being true to journaling, I am going to leave you with some ideas for getting your feelings on paper.

1. Write a letter – Forget you are making a layout. Forget that you are going to post to a gallery. Forget that people are going to see it, read it. Forget everything but that one person you are making the layout for. Write a letter to them – it might have something to do with the photos included or it might not. Just write a letter as if no one but the person will read it. Make it personal. You will be surprised how much you would love this layout of yours above all else

In this layout, I write a letter to my mom and its definitely one of my favorite layouts

2. Song Lyrics - Shortcut! Tired of doing all the writing? Then, think about a song that expresses what you want to say and use the lyrics as journaling.This is something I tend to do often in my layouts with DH! I really love the guy but now come on – I really don’t want to have 100 pages in my photobooks with just the three words written on them Therefore, some songs that are important to both of us, perfectly and beautifully do the job.

Below is a page where nothing but this song expressed what I was feeling about these pics…

3. Someone Else's Voice - Be Lazy - Sometimes, there’s nothing better than adding someone else’s voice to your journaling. Nothing better than to use someone else’s point of view for an event. You can get someone else to write what they feel about the person, event etc. and add that as your journaling.

My brother dotes on my son. In this layout, I try to capture that through my brother’s eyes. My brother had written a few lines for my son in one of the birthday cards. I used those lines of his to reflect his feelings for my son.

Hope you had fun going through today’s lesson and have a few tricks in your bag that you want to play with.

Homework

Your Homework assignment remains the same as the one given on Monday -

Your homework assignment for this week is to make a layout where you find balance in your journaling between facts and feelings. Use at least 1 of the methods discussed on Monday to capture little details and then also incorporate some more journaling that really documents your story. Really excited to see what you come up with

Also, Please feel free to post any questions you might have, in this thread..

Special Offers

Last edited by mommyish; 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM.

Thanks for the class

Comment

• Pallavi01
      Pallavi01 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is just so sweet Nemla! You have put your thoughts and feelings perfectly on paper! And the photo is truly gorgeous! Thanks for sharing and submitting your homework!

• AlinaLove
      AlinaLove commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely photo with great connection!

I hope I got the right balance between facts and feelings, anyway thank you for the lesson and here is my homework!

Comment

• AlinaLove
      AlinaLove commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh, this would have made me nervous as well . Sweet story and page!

Journaling? I'm pretty good and being verbose...but targeted journaling? I guess I need to work on being more precise.

Comment

I'm done!!! I love my page!! Hope you enjoy it as well. Here's the journaling:

"
      In the summer of 2010, we went on a Mediterranean cruise with all of Michael’s family. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for our family and we had a more wonderful time than we ever imagined it would be. These pictures are a smattering of pictures I was able to capture during that trip. The first one is on the ship, “Navigator of the Seas”, the second in Roma, Italy, the third in Bormes les Mimosas in the Proveñce area of France, and the last was just a funny picture of him in the Disco. There were so many memories to choose from, but these pictures hold a cherished spot in my heart; just as the man who is pictured in them."

http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10427&title=love-cherished-moments&cat=500

Comment

• Pallavi01
        Pallavi01 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is so sweet and not verbose at all! loved looking at these pics and knowing the background about where they are from ... The fun you had definitely gets reflected in the pics and your journaling ! TFS!

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        This is memory needs to be cherished! Love your journaling!

Here's mine! Too bad grad school wasn't this fun!

Comment

• miimsgirl
        miimsgirl commented
        Editing a comment
        These pictures are so cute! And I have to agree - I wish grad school were this fun too!

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        Cute story!

So these pictures are some of my new faves, taken on our recent vacation to the cloud forest just south of our city. But the story as to WHY they where taken is actually less than beautiful - the truth - I really needed a potty break, so hubby held little man while I scurried off, and apparently little man screamed his head off the entire time until big brother got out the camera to distract him by taking some pics (yep, my eleven year old took these, not me - YAY!) Anyway, the journaling here is just about how much I appreciate hubby doing things like this - that are NOT fun - to give me a bit of a break.

created using gorgeous goodies from creashens

Comment

• Pallavi01
        Pallavi01 commented
        Editing a comment
        NO WAY we're these taken by your 11 yr old!!! Can't get over that !! )) the journaling is so super sweet! though momma is a superwoman but she does need her few mins break in the day! I laughed when I read the journaling coz I so related to it!! ) TFS!

• Oscaralley
        Oscaralley commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!!! That is Amazing! He's quite the photographer. The things we go through....so thankful for a husband that helps out!!!

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        Impressive photography skills :D Also great that you weaved in a reality check on this one. Good to get it all down for future reference

Comment

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes some words can make all the difference on a page. Love, that you take the time to record all the little things!

Whew, almost forgot to do my homework this week. Thank goodness for the reminder in the newsletter!

Comment

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay for kiddo happiness!

• nowens
        nowens commented
        Editing a comment
        My page seems to have disappeared from the gallery? When I click on it here, it says I don't have permission to view it, and when I just look at my album, it doesn't show up. I'm guessing it's because the TDP designer I used is no longer with the store, but I just want to check that I'll still get credit for the page when my discount is totaled?

Week 1 Homework
      Sugarplum Paperie - Let’s Go Outside: Papers, Let’s Go Outside: Elements & Heart Art: Stand In the Sunshine

Last edited by Pamie; 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM. Reason: Added your LO image and link to the gallery. :)

Comment

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        how fun! never heard of the camera. will check it out.

Here is my entry for Week 1. First time for me, here at The Digital Press and I hope I'm doing everything as it should be.

Comment

• Pallavi01
        Pallavi01 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is just so sweet Ann- Sofie! A moms sentiments cannot be purer and clearer than that ! great job putting all your feelings into words! They sound so beautiful in English - I m sure they would be even more touching in Swedish

• AlinaLove
        AlinaLove commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm all in for beautiful romantic design and pictures Lovely journaling as well!

• glee
        glee commented
        Editing a comment
        also love that journaling font! All so well done. tfs

Before my son got up on the day of his graduation I hung banners and streamers. So proud of his hard work, he made valedictorian!! I commented that I hoped I don't cry too much at his ceremony and got a shot of him getting out of the car, the very LAST school drop off EVER!!
      Last edited by Pamie; 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

These are all such great ideas!

Comment

Working...
        X