Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Education Part II - Create a fun interactive Workbook

Create a fun interactive workbook to keep your kids busy this Summer

Summer is officially here and what a fun way to record your memories by making a journal keepsake your kids will treasure. Using your Digital & Hybrid skills its super easy to make journal books and customize it. You can keep it simple or make it more complex depending on your skill level and needs.

What you will need:
    • Journal Book Cover | Download PSD or Download TIFF (or you can also decorate a regular composition notebook)
    • Summer Work Book Inserts | Download HERE
    • Digital Scrapbooking Supplies
    • Bright White Cardstock or Epson Premium Matte Paper
    • Regular Copy Paper
    • Printer
    • Trimmer
    • Scoring Tool
    • Stapler
    • Corner Rounder (Optional)

Creating the Cover

First let's assemble the cover using the class materials and digital supplies from The Digital Press store. Clip your papers and elements onto the template. Decorate as you see fit. When you are done save and flatten the image for print. I print straight out of Photoshop using the print dialogue. Be sure that the image prints at actual size, also select the right Paper type (Matte Photo Paper/Cardstock). Print and Score. Set aside and lets start with the inserts.

The Inserts

Print the inserts straight from the PDF...they are formatted for double sided printing. Here is a concise tutorial on how to achieve this: Double Sided Printing for any Printer | Adobe Acrobat. Remember to select regular copy paper again when printing. I designed the inserts in such a way that if you wish to add more of page 8 (Book Report) using the double sided printing technique and just printing that page you can add some extras if you wish...just not too many or the book will be to bulky. Score and fold the inserts.

Assembling the Journal

Sandwich the inserts (remember to check the page order!) into the folded cover. Using your trimmer/scissors/x-acto knife carefully trim down the journal using the trim lines as a guide. Use a stapler to attach all the papers. I have a tutorial on my blog with some links for alternate bindings and more free inserts. Optional: Round the corners to give it a more professional look.

Tip: Edges a bit wonky? Use a emory board/nail file to sand down the imperfect edges and give it a smooth professional look.

Almost Done...

Add some fun stationary/goodies and there you have it a fun boredom buster that any kid would love to have. This is such a fun project I am sure you would want to make one for yourself!

Homework

Complete this project using Digital Press goodies, stage a photoshoot of your awesome Journal/Journal's (lol), Tag us on Instagram (@thedigitalpressco & @mdastudio) #TDPSummerSchool #TDPinspires #TDPdoesHybrid and share with the world cause you did it and your are a Rock Star!!! <3 (And post your pics here too so we can all ooh and aah!)

Special Offers

Here are the amazing offers we have for you this week! <3

Last edited by AlinaLove; 06-25-2015, 07:41 AM.

here is my version of the summer fun workbook:

Comment

This looks fun!!! I am sure going to try this one!

Edited to add ... well, I worked on it most of the day, used the cutting board and cut everything out and made the digital parts and stapled it. Then I showed it to my daughter for her to embellish it up with me, and she said, "Hey Mom, why does it say 2014? DOH!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by pachimac; 06-24-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• mommyish
        mommyish commented
        Editing a comment
        TARDIS! I Love it!

• marikoegelenberg
        marikoegelenberg commented
        Editing a comment
        oh dear

ok, I just ordered some matte photo paper, and it might not be here intime, but this looks like such a good idea, my kids will be thrilled with their own books! thank you for the inserts

Comment

• marikoegelenberg
        Editing a comment
        for the inserts I recommend you use regular paper as otherwise it will be too thick for the booklet.

well the photo paper didn't arrive in time so I have just printed it all out using a paper cover for the moment, and then I will reprint the cover when the photo paper arrives (I am planning to saddle stitch the pages). I hope that counts! Here is how it looks, I know you can't see all the insert pages, but they are all in there I promise!

Comment

• marikoegelenberg
        Editing a comment
        I believe you! lol I love it looks cute

• miimsgirl
        miimsgirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah Corrin it is gorgeous!

Here's my card and journal. The card would have been more colorful if my printer ink cartridge wasn't so old. The yellow ink was almost gone. For the journal, I ended up covering a small book I bought from the dollar bin at Target. I wanted something small enough to fit in my camera bag this summer when we go on our big trip.

Last edited by Pamie; 07-05-2015, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I'd like to request an extension for this homework assignment (and of course, I waited until the last possible moment to ask....that just adds to the realism). My color printer won't recognize the new drivers, so I printed in black and white. Then I had three kids on top of my own two in my house today, so forget about finishing up any projects....I was busy dealing with drama and tattle-tales and hurt feelings and wiping the faces and butts of children whom I didn't birth (my own were too busy taking advantage of the chaos and sneaking old Easter candy from the top shelf in the pantry). And then this evening....we'll after the way today went, it was a sit-on-the-porch-with-sangria-and-enjoy-the-sunset kind of evening. So yes, tomorrow morning will be okay. Right?

Comment

Here's mine... I have a little girl who is absolutely going to LOVE this!
          (I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I can't make the photo show up, but the link is below. Help!)
          Last edited by banderson; 06-28-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I am sorry but struggling with the forum software too it keeps cutting off my comments.

So the code you need to use for it to show up in the forum is BB Code

Thank you so much for playing along and your book is adorable!

Comment

This is so creative!

Comment

Working...
              X