Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language Arts Part I - Using prompts to tell a story

Using prompts to tell a story

Hello everyone, Willemijne from Digital Scrapbook Ingredients here, and welcome to TDP Summer School! Today is your very first class and we are going to discuss journaling and how you can use prompts to tell a story.

Journaling is a wonderful way to make your layouts more personal and also more accurate and complete. A page without journaling can be just as lovely to look at but it won’t tell the story as well and won’t fully capture your memories.

Journaling doesn’t come natural to everyone though. Maybe you are not that much of a writer or you find it hard to tell the story that accompanies the pictures. A great way to still document your memories is using prompts to tell your story. There are several ways to achieve this and everything you need is already available in regular digital scrapbooking kits or coordinating element packs!

Five W’s: Who, where, when, what and why

Who is captured in the pictures? Where were the pictures taken? When were they taken? What are we seeing in the pictures? Why were they taken, was there a special occasion? By answering (a few of) these simple questions you will already have the most important info documented! Labels and tags are a perfect means for this. They are great for dates and other little details!

Page by Pamie
    Credits: Heart and Soul by DSI

Page by me

Credits: Life Captured January by DSI and Anchors Away by DSI

Snippets

Short little sentiments are a great way to implement more emotional info into your page. They can be funny, emotional, or just informational. They are also a great way to introduce more elaborate journaling. For example by using a sentiment that says: ‘funny story’ pointing to your picture and then explaining what the funny story was. You can use word art strips and pieces for this but word art stamps are also perfect! And try to stamp them on your actual photos for a great effect.

Page by Conny
    Credits: A Little Bit Quirky Bundle by DSI

Page by bcgal00
    Credits: Free As A Bird Bundle by DSI

Titles

Another great way to help tell your story is by choosing a title for your page. What word or words describe the overall page best? This can be one or two words or a whole sentence, as long as you are happy with it. Alpha’s are first and foremost suitable for making titles! But don’t be afraid to try incorporating word art in your title either! And of course you can also use just regular fonts.

Page by AZK
    Credits: The Good Stuff by DSI and Amber Shaw

Page by mimisgirl
    Credits: All Year Round May by DSI and Happy Together Templates by DSI

More details

Some occasions just ask for a little more info. So much happened that only the when and where won’t cut it and you want to tell a little bit more. When you want to include more detailed info on your page but still want to keep it fairly short and sweet, journal cards are the way to go! The ‘empty’ ones will let you write your own story but there are plenty of cards out there that already give you a push in the right direction. They include prompts or questions and you just have to ‘fill them out’!

Page by Krista
    Credits: Life Captured January Bundle by DSI

Page by Stefanie

Credits: Funfair Bundle by DSI

I hope you found these little tips and tricks helpful to get your story documented!

Homework

Your homework assignment for this week is to make a layout where you find balance in your journaling between facts and feelings. Use at least 1 of the methods discussed above to capture little details and then also incorporate some more journaling that really documents your story. Pallavi will have some great tips for that in the second class on Wednesday! We can’t wait to see your pages!

Special Offers

Last edited by mommyish; 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM.

Ohh! How fun! I can't wait to play!

created using gorgeous goodies from creashens

Comment

Oh sooooo cooooooool!! Love this!

Comment

I was a *little* excited to begin.

Comment

• AlinaLove
          AlinaLove commented
          Editing a comment
          awww! i love this! the colors and the story... wonderful

• Scrapsandsass
          Scrapsandsass commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohmygosh... how cute is that cape?? Sully is pretty darn cute too. Great journaling and story!

• miimsgirl
          miimsgirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! I love all the happy colors here. Fun story! thank so much for sharing with us!

http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gal...o-back&cat=519

I think it's always good to have facts and feelings on a page. Even something simple like the date cements it for later reference.
        Last edited by glee; 06-26-2015, 03:23 PM. Reason: deleted guest designer whose time had expired for challenge submissions

Comment

• AlinaLove
          AlinaLove commented
          Editing a comment
          the photo goes so well with the chosen colors and elements. sweet story, too!

• Scrapsandsass
          Scrapsandsass commented
          Editing a comment
          I love the stitched letters and the masking/paint. Love the story too. Great family moment captured!

• miimsgirl
          miimsgirl commented
          Editing a comment
          ohh, love those feathers - and i love how you recorded your thoughts on this - I am working on doing this more too!

This is fantastic!!!

Comment

My most difficult part is actually using the word strips and snippets, so I think that is what I need to practice on. I usually have a problem with cutting DOWN on my journaling. A happy medium needs to be worked on, I guess. LOL I'll be back later on with my layout.

Ohhh, I just saw your gallery. This is my first time here. I just saw that you have to use 50% of TDP items to post in the gallery. Can I still do this challenge? I have nothing from your store yet.

Comment

• mommyish
            mommyish commented
            Editing a comment
            We would love for you to be able to fully play along and get credit. If you aren't quite ready to take the plunge please be sure to check out our pinterest board that links to several of our designers free samplers as well. https://www.pinterest.com/thedigital...ners-freebies/

• Willemijne (DSI)
            Willemijne (DSI) commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Pinterest, how could I forget that one!

Wow you guys are fast! Fabulous pages already! Thanks for playing along!

pachimac For our challenges here at TDP we ask you to use 100% TDP products to qualify (see also this post here)

That might be hard if you don't have anything from the store yet, but quite a few of our designers share freebies on their blogs or FB pages, so you might want to check those out! Here you'll find a list with all designers' sites (scroll down a bit, on the right-hand side). I for example have a few freebies available at the moment!

And there's a little sample freebie to find on the TDP FB page as well.

And finally, we have a great sale each week for Summer School with relevant products on sale. This Monday-Thursday all Journal Cards are on sale for example!

Comment

Thank you, I will check those links out.

Originally posted by Willemijne (DSI) View Post
            Wow you guys are fast! Fabulous pages already! Thanks for playing along!

pachimac For our challenges here at TDP we ask you to use 100% TDP products to qualify (see also this post here)

That might be hard if you don't have anything from the store yet, but quite a few of our designers share freebies on their blogs or FB pages, so you might want to check those out! Here you'll find a list with all designers' sites (scroll down a bit, on the right-hand side). I for example have a few freebies available at the moment!

And there's a little sample freebie to find on the TDP FB page as well.

And finally, we have a great sale each week for Summer School with relevant products on sale. This Monday-Thursday all Journal Cards are on sale for example!

Comment

I love to journal and I incorporated several of the tips you gave us: the premade snippet, the wordart title, the journaling "card" (or rather painted spot in my case), the factual infos (journaling date). Thanks a lot for this fun challenge!
              Last edited by chloe; 06-16-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• chloe
                chloe commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks ladies! I'll let you know when it's time to send sticky vibes and baby dust!

• Scrapsandsass
                Scrapsandsass commented
                Editing a comment
                Such powerful journaling. I just love this page. I wish all the best for you as you move forward. Hugs!!!

• miimsgirl
                miimsgirl commented
                Editing a comment
                hugs Chloe! Thanks so much for sharing with us - you did a gorgeous job here!

Here's mine:

Comment

• Brendazzle
                Brendazzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely adorable. I love the journal card as a title.

• Scrapsandsass
                Scrapsandsass commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh gosh... how cute is that? Great pictures and I love how you used the different forms for the date/title/journaling.

• miimsgirl
                miimsgirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Aww - so cute! LOVE her expression!

I used the five "W"s... and I love how it turned out!

Comment

• AlinaLove
                AlinaLove commented
                Editing a comment
                this sure is worth a memory!

• Scrapsandsass
                Scrapsandsass commented
                Editing a comment
                Great page! I love the font you chose for your title and the background paper is so perfect for celebrating your experience.

• miimsgirl
                miimsgirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I love your journaling here - You get the facts and the emotions. Nicely done!

These pages are beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along! I left you all a little love in the gallery

Comment

Tried to use the 5 w's . Thanks for the lesson.

Comment

• AlinaLove
                  AlinaLove commented
                  Editing a comment
                  these photos really caught my eye! we have kind of the same fairs here in germany and it's really impressive.

• Scrapsandsass
                  Scrapsandsass commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How funny to contrast the medieval with technology. Love it.

• miimsgirl
                  miimsgirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree - too funny. LOVE that you caught it!

Loving all the pages in this thread!! Thanks for sharing your stories!

Comment

Working...
                X