Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Education Part 1 - Using Journaling Cards to Create Greeting Cards

The Lesson Plan

Objective: Use a Journaling Card by a Digital Press designer to create a hybrid greeting card.

Activities:
    1. Design - Using Photoshop (or editing program of your choice) and your digital supplies, plan and design a card base. This can be as simple or as elaborate as you would like.
    2. Print - A hybrid project combines digital and physical supplies, so you MUST print your project out!
    3. Decorate - Junk it up and make if unique and tactile (fun to touch!).
    Materials:
    • At least one Journaling Card by a TDP designer. DO NOT enlarge it, but do feel free to shrink it down or cut it out and put it on a larger card base.
    • Quality matte photo paper or cardstock.
    • Physical scrapbooking supplies as needed: ribbons, buttons, washi, flowers, strings, etc.
    • Optional: Silhouette or other digital cutting machine.
    Homework:
    Create and share your finished project in our Hybrid Gallery here at The Digital Press! Leave praise for your fellow classmates!

Hello students and welcome to Part 1 of our Physical Education Summer School class!

I'm TDP Designer Kelleigh Ratzlaff, and I'm a big fan of hybrid papercrafting and scrapbooking. I've been playing with digital supplies in physical form for years! I discovered digital scrapbooking about 8 years ago, and before that I scrapped with traditional supplies. I love playing with paper and touching my ribbons, buttons and washi! Although I scrap almost exclusively digitally, I still get my fingers sticky quite often with my traditional supplies and cutting files that I sell here at TDP!

I'd like to challenge you to see your scrapbooking supplies a little differently. This week, you will create a greeting card using a Journaling Card!

I'll show you what I did, just to get your thinkers thinking, and I'll share some tips along the way.

Step 1: Choose some Journaling Cards and set up your canvas. I chose this journaling card from my Celebrate Summer collection. I created a new document that was the same height and twice the width of the journaling card (4" x 6").

This second journaling card is from my Together collection. The top was originally left blank, so I sampled a color from the teal house and added a sweet Welcome to the Neighborhood sentiment. I also changed the background (canvas) color to match the card (instead of leaving it white).

Step 2: Prepare your project for printing. Since both of my cards are 4 x 6, I flattened each project and then dragged and dropped them onto a standard 8.5'x11' canvas for printing on my personal printer. I left a little margin around the edges, just in case my printer decided to mess with the size (usually it likes to make it a bit bigger). I also duplicated the little purple house so I could cut it out a bit later.

Step 3: Print that project! This is probably the most stressful part of creating a hybrid project, however JUST DO IT! You'll feel better when it is all over.
    A note about paper: My favorite paper for printing out digital papers and elements is matte photo paper. I love Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte Double-Sided and anything by Red River. I have also been known to pick up a pack of opened off-brand matte photo paper that I found at Goodwill (shown below). When you look for your paper, it should be actual photo paper and not cardstock, but it should be thicker than printer paper. For more information about choosing the right paper for your hybrid project, I recommend checking out From Pixels to Paper: Hybrid Basics with Nicole Seitler at Scrapaneers. (35% off Coupon below!)

Step 4: Trim and Score. Use your paper trimmer (or scissors!) to cut out those cards, making sure to remember that you want to keep the back of the card attached! Just score along the edge of the pattern so you can fold your card closed.

Step 5: Add details with your traditional supplies. I hauled out my ink and sponge to swipe the edges of my cards to give them a fun, colorful touch (and to mask my bad cutting job due to a dull blade).

I also cut out the little purple house with my tiny snipping scissors and popped it up on foam pop dots!

To add some dimension to the Celebrate Summer card, I used my craft knife to slice along the bottom edge of the banner and popped it out!

To finish the cards off, I added some string to the edge of my Welcome to the Neighborhood card and admired my work!

Are you a more advanced hybrid artist? Use your Silhouette to cut out digital elements from your favorite kits! Brenda shows you how in this awesome video tutorial:

Now, it's your turn! Use a journaling card from The Digital Press to create a simple greeting card. Don't forget to print your project out, take some pictures and upload them to the gallery here at TDP!

Special Offers

Here are the amazing offers we have for you this week! <3

Last edited by mommyish; 06-21-2015, 08:54 AM.

Here are my cards:

Last edited by anika; 06-18-2015, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Scrapsandsass
      Scrapsandsass commented
      Editing a comment
      These are fabulous! I especially love the "love ya" on black with the feather. Gorgeousness!

• TechChick
      TechChick commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto - my favorite was the black card too. Very pretty cards!!

• kelleighr
      kelleighr commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your collection of cards!! That Love Ya card looks like it is metallic! Very cool!

well it looks simple :thumbup: , I'll be back with my try!

Comment

These are the cards that came out as a result of my video

Comment

• kelleighr
        kelleighr commented
        Editing a comment
        So gorgeous, Brenda, and your video was great!

OOOh, I have a horrible printer, no card stock, and little extra embellishments. I might be out of this one for now. Looks fun!!

Comment

OMGosh, what are you doing to me??? A not-hybridish-at-all girl is feeling ready to try her hand at it... What kind of magic is this??? LOL I'll print at work tomorrow and post ASAP!!

Comment

• Sabrina
          Sabrina commented
          Editing a comment
          ME TOO!! I feel a strong itch to try this!!

• marikoegelenberg
          marikoegelenberg commented
          Editing a comment
          lol yesssss doooo itttt!

Now I want a silhouette! I don't think I like to cut things out!

Comment

• marikoegelenberg
          Editing a comment
          same here I suck at it but a good circle punch is also useful!

• miimsgirl
          miimsgirl commented
          Editing a comment
          MEE TOOO! but they don't sell them here, nooo!
          nice card!

The beauty of using journaling cards are that they are easy to cut out and decorate.

Comment

Hybrid is addictive. I actually was never a "paper" scrapper.. then it only took ONE project to want to start doing TONS of things.

Comment

These are all great ladies!!

Comment

card by oscaralley, on Flickr

card by oscaralley, on Flickr
              --- TANYA ---

Comment

• kelleighr
                kelleighr commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful! I love the popped flowers and little embellishments!

• marikoegelenberg
                Editing a comment
                it's just darling!!!

It looks like I need to resupply my markers. I guess it's been a while since I did anything with paper.
              Leslie P
              Last edited by Pamie; 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• kelleighr
                kelleighr commented
                Editing a comment
                Love that you used textured card stock!! Looks great!

• marikoegelenberg
                Editing a comment
                It does look great on the textured cardstock...it gives it a gorgeous dimension.

I made a card for my hubby.

Comment

• kelleighr
                kelleighr commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow!! This is just fabulous!!

• anika
                anika commented
                Editing a comment
                what a great card! Those two bows over each other are too cute!

• marikoegelenberg
                Editing a comment
                OMG So adorable!!!

I did it!!! LOL

Comment

• marikoegelenberg
                Editing a comment
                This is soo cute and looks stunning!

• chloe
                chloe commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Mari!

All of yours are so cute!!! I have never done this before and I have NO physical scrapbooking items, so I had to print and cut out by hand all the pieces. I'm just proud I did it.

Last edited by Pamie; 08-05-2015, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• marikoegelenberg
                Editing a comment
                OMG Yes!!! You did a fantastic job!
            Working...
            X