WEEK #3 | MESS HALL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #3 | MESS HALL

Hello Campers! It's time for WEEK #3 of MESS HALL for SUMMER CAMP 2019! This is Amie of Little Lamm Paper Co. I'm here as host AND chef, and I'm here for breakfast!!! I have three recipes for you that are awesome for summer. They are make-ahead and perfect for families that need breakfast or snacks at different times of the day.

If you haven't already taken a look at our previous recipes so far during SUMMER CAMP 2019, here are a few handy links...
    Week #1
    Week #2
    First up this week is MAKE-AHEAD SPINACH AND MUSHROO MUFFIN TIN FRITTATAS.

This recipe was born of necessity when my husband started a job that he doesn't leave for until 8:30am. Since I am up at 5:30, I got tired of dropping everything to make him eggs at 8am and then prepping breakfast for our son whenever he finally got up for the day.

Ingredients:
    • 10 large eggs
    • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or hash browns
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
    • 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
    • 2 roma tomatoes sliced and roasted* (optional)
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven or grill to 400 F. Line a 12 count muffin pan with silicone liners or coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
    2. In a large 4 cup measuring cup or mixing bowl, crack in eggs and whisk together with salt and black pepper and spinach.
    3. Divide quinoa or hash browns evenly between cups and then top with egg mixture so cups are about 3/4 full.
    4. Top with mushrooms and bake 15-20 minutes until set. (If baking on the grill, make sure to put muffin pan on the cool side of the grill and not directly over flames)
    5. Cool on a wire rack and then store in air tight bags or containers and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
    *Roasted Tomatoes
    1. Preheat oven or grill to 450 F.
    2. Set tomato slices on parchment paper and roast for about 20 minutes until most of the liquid is gone and tomatoes have some browning.
    3. Set aside to cool.
    Other favorite frittata combos
    • poblanos, corn and black beans topped with green tomatillo salsa
    • ham, hash brown and cheddar
    • sausage with onions and peppers
    • bacon and cheddar
    • broccoli and cheddar
    • ham, peppers, mushrooms, and onions
    Next up will be MAKE-AHEAD BUTTERMILK WAFFLES.

I know you can get them in the freezer aisle, but really, if you make a batch on Sunday morning, you just freeze extras and toast them up all week long.This is my favorite buttermilk waffle recipe and we add blueberries, strawberries, bananas, or chocolate chips to them for a yummy breakfast or snack and serve them with some precooked sausage links.

Ingredients:
    • 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) all-purpose flour (spoon and level)
    • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 large eggs, separated
    • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
    • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
    • 1 and 3/4 cups (420ml) buttermilk*
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • toppings: butter + pure maple syrup
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat waffle maker on medium-high heat. Preheat oven to 200F degrees. (skip this part of the step if you are not eating right away and will be freezing the waffles) Place a wire rack on a baking sheet; set aside.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, butter, sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk gently until smooth. Do not overmix.
    3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. I typically use a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment to whisk the egg whites. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
    4. Pour 1/3 cup of the batter into each well of the waffle maker (or less if your waffle maker is smaller) and close the lid. Cook the waffles until golden brown and crisp, 5-6 minutes. Transfer the cooked waffles to the wire rack keep warm in the preheated oven, or cool as you cook the rest. Repeat to cook the remaining batter.
    5. Serve the waffles immediately or cool and freeze for toasting later in the week.
    * if you don’t have buttermilk, you can add 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice to regular milk and let it sit for 5 minutes
    And last for today, will be VANILLA CHIA PUDDINGS.

I make batch of these each Monday morning, and then my son and I snack on them anytime. But I love one after a workout.

Ingredients:
    • 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
    • 1/2 cup chia seeds
    • 3 scoops protein powder
    • Your favorite toppings
    Instructions:
    1. Whisk all ingredients together and pour into jars. I use 4oz, but you can use a standard size to make it easier to add toppings later.
    2. Let sit in refrigerator overnight.
    3. Top with your favorites like; berries, bananas, peaches, nuts, granola, yogurt, jam, or chocolate. *I sometimes mix in espresso powder and cocoa for a mocha chia pudding.

Just to make sure you can get your Mess Hall Camp badge for this week... here is the fine print:
    • You need to try any ONE (1) of the recipes, take photos of your result, and share them in this forum thread*
    • You have until 11:59 pm PT on Sunday 7/21, 2019 to post your photos here
    • Once you've posted your page or project here in this thread, copy the URL of your post from this thread and add it to the Summer Camp 2019 Tracking Thread.
    • Most of all ... have fun!
      (although, letting us know what you thought of the recipe would be awesome, too!)
    *you will need to use a photo-sharing site to share your image (not the TDP gallery). THANK YOU!

Last edited by Laura Passage; 07-15-2019, 02:57 PM.

Loved these and will make again. Too hot to also grill tomatoes so I just put some fresh on top.

Comment

Week 3 Mess Hall-Spinach and Mushroom Frittata.
      I made mine in a quiche dish instead of muffin pans as my muffin tray had mysteriously gone missing?
      So easy to prepare and very tasty.

Last edited by nanascrapper; 07-21-2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• littlelamm
        littlelamm commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it!!
        Is your muffin tin hiding in your craft room like mine? lol

My 'not proper buttermilk' (I used lemon+milk :D ) waffles
      {daydreamer. imagination. dreams. books. night owl. nights. stars. sky. sea. pizza. music. movies & TV series. fairy tales. fantasy. magic. unicorns. pigs. fall. winter. ♋June. kawaii. manga. anime. colours. SiciliaArgentina. family. daughter. aunt. sister}

Comment

The waffles were delicious! Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Bonus, I have breakfast for the rest of the week!

Comment

Working...
        X