WEEK #2 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #2 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Hi everyone, and welcome to WEEK #2 of ARTS & CRAFTS at TDP's SUMMER CAMP 2019!

I hope you enjoyed the first week of our camp and are ready for even more fun this week. I'm Robin and I'll be your camp counselor this week for this fun challenge!

Remember summer camp as a kid? ...where you made leather belts, friendship bracelets, or even hot pads? You learned a new skill and walked away with Christmas gifts for your mom/dad. Well, this is the place where as an adult, we get to play with awesome new techniques and practice them on our own projects, learn new skills, and walk away with pages for our annual album!

If you've ever spent time reading through the TDP blog, you know it's FULL of amazing ideas. Just like last week, you will have a choice of two previously released Tutorial Tuesday posts to pick from. Your Arts and Crafts challenge this week... is to select at least ONE of these two tutorials, shown below, and use it on your own brand-new page/project!

The two tutorials I've selected for us to choose from this week are shown here...

The first tutorial option this week is Gradient Paper Blending[COLOR=#353131]. I actually never even knew this tool existed, since it was hidden under my Paint Bucket Tool... but... I absolutely LOVED playing with this technique. Often I will fall in love with a striking background paper but, just like bugs at camp, too much of it quickly becomes overwhelming. Well... this gradient tool allowed me to use my beloved paper without it being "too much". Problem solved!

http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...gital-layouts/]

The second tutorial option I've chosen this week is Adding Your Handwriting to Digital Projects. I have TERRIBLE handwriting... I know it... my kids know it... my friends know it. BUT -- sometimes it's good to write a small amount of journaling in your own handwriting so that your family will always remember what it looks like, even if it's bad, right?! Don't you just love seeing something written by a grandparent or someone from long ago? I didn't know how to do this technique before this challenge either, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is!

To give you an idea of what these tutorials can yield, fellow TDP creative team member Anita and I both played with these techniques to show you a few ideas. Remember, this was the first time I used either technique... and if I can do it, you can too! Here's a look at my example page...

[ made with Audacity collab by Anita Designs and Karla Noel ]

And here's a look at Anita's sample page using the gradient technique...

[ using Monthly Chronicles: Carefree ]

*NOTE* she used the Gradient Paper Blending tutorial, but turned hers vertically! I love how one change can really make the page so different. Plus it's a great treatment for papers with text in the design. Isn't this just an amazing option?

Finally, here's another layout example to which she added her handwriting. So cool...

[ using Creashens Around Here Kit and Original Torn Bits 4 with Dawn by Designs All Laid Out Vol.12 Template ]

Now that you've seen a few examples, let's see yours! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Tell us which tutorial option you chose (or, if you try both -- let us know that!)... and show off your page here so we can give you some love!

Here are the rules for this week's "Arts & Crafts" challenge:
    • Your creation must be a new page or hybrid project that uses at least ONE of the two tutorials shown above, in this post.
    • You must use 100% TDP products, and your layout or project must be loaded into the gallery no later than 11:59pm PT on Sunday 7/14, 2019.
    • Once you've loaded your page or project image in the CHALLENGE GALLERY, please leave a comment in this thread and link us back to your page or project in the gallery.
    • Once you've posted your page or project here in this thread, copy the URL of your post from this thread and add it to the Summer Camp 2019 Tracking Thread.
    • Most of all ... have fun!

Last edited by mocamom; 07-09-2019, 11:10 PM.
    Save

Save

I used the gradient tutorial. Definitely doing the other one also.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Jan! I love how you used the cat paper for this. It is crazy how good it looks!

Summer Camp Week 2 Arts and Crafts
    My printer is out of action so couldn't try out the handwriting challenge, so did the gradient paper blending

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the way you used three frames and put your cards, word art inside them! See, you used just a wee bit of gradient and it's perfect with your paint! This is adorable!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like ya'll had fun! Love the way you tucked your photos at the bottom of the gradient. It's so cute!

gradiantweek2 by creuss, on Flickr

How very cool using the gradient in a mask. This was fun putting the colors together. Thank you

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!! I haven't even tried masking it with something other than white. This looks great and you've given me a new twist!

• careuss
      careuss commented
      Editing a comment
      mocamom Thank you, I wasn't feeling very white and i really love that shade of blue.

I did the handwriting challenge: makes it look more like paper scrapping!

Link: http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gal..._webcopy_2.jpg

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Michelle this is such a pretty and delicate page! And your handwriting is gorgeous! I know it's an extra step to scan it in, but I think it's good to do this periodically for our family!

I incorporated both tutorials into my layout. The handwriting brush is difficult to read. This is what it says: "I never thought that my handwriting was very nice. Some people have complained that is is too small. Recently, I was going through my recipe box and I was struck by how similar my handwriting was to my mother's. Even my grandmother's was small. I guess it's hereditary."

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so jealous you have your mom's AND your grandma's handwriting and recipes!! I love the way you labeled them and compared your own to them as well. You are right, I can see a big similarity between them! Your extraction was wonderful by the way!

I went for the blending tutorial, and I've actually got two blends on there .... a linear one with papers, and a radial one on the background photo.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Carrie I absolutely love this. So much so in fact that I'm scraplifting it and trying to figure out the radial one. I would never have tried it on a photo without your example!!!

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      So, Robin, mocamom, radial is one of the settings in full PS. I actually rasterized that radial gradient layer, duplicated it, and merged the two together to make the photo really show up. I also shrank it (to about 8x8”), and nudged it off center (relative to the center of the page).

TDP Summer camp 2019
    Week 2: Arts and Crafts

Handwriting tutorial. My scanner wasn\'t cooperating so I took a photo of my note in evernote and brought that into Artisan and used the cutting wand to remove all the white background.

Kit: Blessed TDP Collab

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      What a neat idea to do together. I love this!! And as a former Artisan girl, I know how much work you put into cutting the white away. You did a GREAT job!!!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Such a pretty fading away of your background paper! I love that you used the chevrons to mimic your background paper!!

I've wanted to try the gradient technique! Here it is.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Well you did a great job with it! I love that this technique lets you journal on busy background paper!!

I did the gradient tut, only change I blended papers with the photo (same paper recolored for the upper and the lower side of the page)
    {daydreamer. imagination. dreams. books. night owl. nights. stars. sky. sea. pizza. music. movies & TV series. fairy tales. fantasy. magic. unicorns. pigs. fall. winter. ♋June. kawaii. manga. anime. colours. SiciliaArgentina. family. daughter. aunt. sister}

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X