WEEK #1 | MESS HALL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #1 | MESS HALL

Hello everyone, and welcome to WEEK #1 of MESS HALL for SUMMER CAMP 2019! I am your camp counselor for the next week.

Good news... our WEEK #1 MESS HALL is all about desserts!

We all love eating don't we? And what is better than having a choice of three recipes to try in a week, taking some photos and posting then here to earn points and badges. Bonus -- you get easy, tried, and true recipes to add to your repertoire. I have the honour of starting with some dessert recipes. As it's winter on my side of the globe, I have been making lemon curd. It's quick and easy and we all love it. I also have a lemon raspberry cupcake recipe to share with you from TDP creative team member Amie... and a berry trifle recipe from TDP designer Dawn Farias (Dawn by Design), as well!

Let's get started with my EASY MICROWAVE LEMON CURD...

Ingredients:
    • 4 lemons, zested and then squeezed.
    • 3 large eggs
    • 125ml (1/2) cup butter, melted and allowed to cool slightly
    • 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
    Method:
    1. In a large microwaveable bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until smooth. The add lemon juice, zest and butter.
    2. Microwave on high for 3 or 4 minutes, whisking again at 1 minute intervals.
    3. The mixture needs to be thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, and will thicken even more as it cools.
    4. Poor hot mixture throw a sieve to remove zest and nay cooked egg bits and to create a wonderfully smooth lemon curd.
    5. Allow to cool with cling film laid on the top, so no skin forms. Once cool, seal into sterilised jars and store in the fridge for up to three weeks.
    We enjoy this on scones (biscuits), in meringues with cream and even over vanilla ice cream.

Our next recipe is from Amie -- LEMON RASPBERRY CUPCAKES...

[for the lemon cake]

Ingredients:
    • 1 Box Lemon Cake Mix
    • 1 Large Lemon- juiced & zested (seperated)
    • Milk
    • Sour Cream
    Method:
    1. Follow the box directions but add an extra egg, use milk instead of Water & Sour Cream instead of Oil. I also add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to the batter & half the lemon zest.
    2. Fill 24 cupcake liners 2/3 full & bake as directed on box.
    3. When done baking, brush fresh squeezed Lemon Juice on top of each cupcake.
    4. Allow to cool.
    [for raspberry buttercream]

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup Butter (unsalted)
    • 3-4 cups Powdered Sugar
    • Raspberry Coulis (recipe below) - COOLED
    • (milk if needed, to thin)
    Method:
    1. Beat butter with stand mixer for 10 minutes- scrape bowl periodically. No lie- you want the butter WHITE & FLUFFY!
    2. Slowly add the cooled Coulis to the butter. Mix until completely incorporated. At first it will look like the liquid is separated from the butter, but keep mixing.
    3. After the butter is thoroughly raspberried, slowly add in the sugar- tasting to as you go to make sure it doesn't get too sweet! You can add a tablespoon of milk if needed to thin frosting out to pipeable consistency.
    4. Using a Frosting bag & your favorite decorating tip (mine is the wilton 1M- Open Star tip)- pipe a couple circles of buttercream onto cooled cupcakes.
    5. Decorate as desired- I like to add a fresh raspberry or two & some pretty sprinkles
    [ for the raspberry coulis (pronounced koo-le) ]

Ingredients:
    • 1 8oz package of frozen raspberries
    • 1/4 cup Water
    • Remaining lemon zest/juice
    Method:
    1. Combine raspberries, water and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until raspberries break down (5 to 7 minutes.)
    2. Remove from heat and press sauce through a fine-mesh strainer to remove seeds.
    3. Place Coulis in refrigerator to cool.

And finally, our last recipe of the week from Dawn Farias -- LEMON BERRY ANGEL FOOD TRIFLE...

Ingredients
    • 1 lb bag frozen mixed berries
    • 3 Tbs cornstarch
    • ¾ c water
    • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
    • 1 lb store bought angel food cake
    • 16 oz brick cream cheese, softened
    • 1 cup + 3 Tbs sugar
    • ½ tsp vanilla
    • 1 cup half-and-half
    • 12 oz tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
    Method
    1. In a medium saucepan, add the berries, cornstarch, lemon juice, water, and 3 Tbs sugar. Mix well and then bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring often until thickened and the cornstarch is dissolved. Take the mixture off the heat and let cool to room temperature.
    2. Using a serrated knife, slice the cake into bite-sized pieces and add to a very large bowl.
    3. In a mixing bowl, beat cheese, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, half-and-half, and lemon zest until smooth (some lumps are okay).
    4. Pour the cheese mixture over the cake cubes and gently fold everything together until the cake is well coated.
    5. In a trifle bowl, layer half the cake mixture, half the berry mixture, and half the whipped topping. Repeat, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 2 to 24 hours.

Just to make sure you can get your Mess Hall Camp badge for this week... here is the fine print:
    • You need to try any ONE (1) of the recipes, take photos of your result, and share them in this forum thread*
    • You have until 11:59 pm PT on Sunday 7/7, 2019 to post your photos here
    • Once you've posted your page or project here in this thread, copy the URL of your post from this thread and add it to the Summer Camp 2019 Tracking Thread.
    • Most of all ... have fun!
      (although, letting us know what you thought of the recipe would be awesome, too!)
    *you will need to use a photo-sharing site to share your image (not the TDP gallery). THANK YOU!

Last edited by Laura Passage; 07-01-2019, 01:52 PM.

Ohhhh Stefanie!!! I'm so excited about this lemon curd recipe. I LOVE anything lemon. AND even I can use the microwave! I'm so making this. THANK YOU!
    Save
    Save

Comment

Wow, these all sound soooooo good! I’m going to be back with pictures of empty bowls where the yummy stuff used to be!

Comment

It's funny how our submissions were similarly themed!! That was not on purpose, LOL. At least not for me, but I'm not aware of the other two ladies coordinating with each other...

Comment

• AmieN1
          AmieN1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I only found out Stefanie was doing Lemon curd after I had committed to my cupcakes! Great minds!! :D

Great minds think alike!

Comment

Thanks for the recipes. The lemon curd is great. Not a big microwave fan so I made mine on the stovetop. No more bought jars. Definitely going to try the trifle.
          Last edited by jang; 07-03-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Stefanie
            Stefanie commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats awesome, glad it worked for you on the stove top too.
            Thanks for making it and sharing your creation.

First of all- THANK YOU for a variety of recipes. I am a cupcake girl and really wanted to try Amie's cupcakes. But, we moved to Pennsylvania from Georgia last month and we're in temporary housing right now because our house wasn't ready when we had to move. So... all we have with us is what fit in our car and the rest is in storage. There is a kitchen where we are, but it just has the basic necessities. So I'll have to try those cupcakes once we finally get settled in.

For now, I made the lemon curd. I have actually never made curd before and I did have to wing it a bit on this one because our kitchen in our temporary housing didn't have a mesh strainer or whisk (or a measuring cup until I bought one last night). I am excited to say it was SO delicious. After making it, I made pancakes (also found out there is no spatula, so I flipped them very sloppily with a spoon). I was impatient for the curd to set and while it was still warm, I spooned some over the pancakes. It had a similar consistency to syrup and tasted amazing on the pancakes. I'm letting the rest of it set and cannot wait to eat more of it.

lemon-curd by Desiree Glaze, on Flickr

Comment

• Stefanie
            Stefanie commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks great, delighted that you enjoyed it too. Thanks for playing along with us.

Well, I made my own recipe (LOL) yesterday for a 4th of July party. I made it dairy-free though, because I can no longer have dairy. My modifications were these:

1. substituted equal amount of Tofutti cream cheese for regular cream cheese
          2. substituted 2 x 9 oz tubs of Coco Whip frozen whipped topping for the regular frozen whipped topping

It was just as fabulous as the original. Nothing tasted off at all. I was so pleased and everyone else loved it, too.

Comment

• Stefanie
            Stefanie commented
            Editing a comment
            Double brownie points for you, making it dairy free is even more amazing.

Wow, i think my diet just went out the window ... these all look SO yummy!

Comment

TDP Summer Camp 2019 Week 1 Mess Hall
            Lemon Curd.

Have not posted in Gallery. Credits. Template is Control by Jimbo Jambo Designs
            Kit is Girl Power Sampler A TDP Collab Aug 2016
            Last edited by nanascrapper; 07-05-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Stefanie
              Stefanie commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, awesome job and you made a layout, love it!
              Thanks for playing along with our mess hall challenge this week.

I've always wanted to make trifle since the episode of Friends!

Comment

• AmieN1
              AmieN1 commented
              Editing a comment
              YEA!!!! Do it!

• Hillary
              Hillary commented
              Editing a comment
              gwany1999 I LOVE this comment, because every time I see a trifle that is exactly what I think of.

I made the lemon curd, but will try the cupcakes with kiddo in the holidays next week. One small change is that I added some flour to the mix as I wanted to use it in lemon slices.
            It tastes delicious!!

Last edited by melscrap; 07-06-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Stefanie
              Stefanie commented
              Editing a comment
              I am glad to hear that it worked well for you. Looks interesting for sure.

Delicious, lovely lemon curd! I think heating the curd with the zest really gives it an extra zing. Definitely would make this again

Comment

• Stefanie
              Stefanie commented
              Editing a comment
              So glad that you loved it too.
              I can finish the jar full all by myself in different ways, it feels like the perfect mix of sweet and tart.
              Thanks for playing along with our challenge this week.

mmmm that lemon curd is delicious!! I've had some on toast, and will think about making cupcakes or scones tomorrow I think, but I can't believe how quick and easy it was to make! Thanks for th e recipe!

Comment

• LiliJ
              LiliJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Love that label!

• corrin
              corrin commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! It is from Dunia Designs - Documenting June elements, which I just happened to have and thought would be perfect!

I’m not a huge lemon fan, but I have to say that I’m loving this lemon curd! I had the cutest helper helping me this morning, and we had it as topping on flapjacks. It was delicious! Thank you for the simple and yum recipe.

Last edited by LiliJ; 07-09-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X