WEEK #3 | MESS HALL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #3 | MESS HALL

Can you believe the 2018 Summer Camp is already half over??? It's true! It's WEEK #3 of SUMMER CAMP 2018... and I 'm your camp counselor for this week's MESS HALL challenge!

At Summer Camp, MESS HALL is where you go to eat. And with that in mind, each week we'll be posting one full meal (main dish, side dish, and dessert--or sometimes a drink!). To earn a badge for that week... you simply need to try at least ONE of the THREE recipes we share, and then post a photo of the result here in the thread for that week's MESS HALL challenge! You don't have to scrap your meal (though it certainly is fine if you do so!), just a photo will earn you a badge!

Amie from Little Lamm Paper Co. is sharing some really delicious recipes this week. Here's a sneak peek at this week's menu (to see it all, including the recipes, click through and you'll find it on the blog!)...

WEEK 3 MESS HALL

Rules for this week's MESS HALL challenge:
    • Try making at least ONE of the THREE recipes featured in the blog post linked up above.
    • Start a post in this thread, and post a photo of the result of your cooking adventure (you should use a photo sharing site/service -- not the TDP gallery -- to host your image).
    • To receive credit toward your MESS HALL badge for WEEK #3, your photo will need to be posted in this thread by 11:59pm PT on Saturday 7/21.
    • Have fun, and ENJOY!
    Last edited by Laura Passage; 07-15-2018, 10:34 AM.
    Save
    Save

Done with one!
    IMG_0571 by Michelle Pelkey, on Flickr

Delicious! Best grilled corn we've made

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Michelle, that looks amazing!! What did everyone think?

• Heidi Nicole
      Heidi Nicole commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks SO GOOD!

We loved it!

Comment

The recipe said use a slow cooker but who has time for that when you can use an Instant Pot. Loved the hint of orange zest. Yummy!
      Last edited by lauriezyskind; 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I love how you adapted this to the IP. I have one too and will try this your way!

• lauriezyskind
        lauriezyskind commented
        Editing a comment
        It only took an hour in the Instant Pot vs the 5-7 hours in a slow cooker.

http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gal...week-3&cat=519
      Of course to be low carb my plate was more salad with no chips. This was my daughter\'s plate. The meat was delish!

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        We are low carb here too Tiffany but it looks like a few chips would go a long way with this recipe!

MMMM... love me some carnitas!!! I mde it with Mexican Cauliflower rice.
      [img]2018-07-17 20.12.25 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/159312934@N08/][/img]
      Happiness is a choice ~ Choose wisely

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Can I have your recipe for Mexican Cauliflower rice? I keep seeing it over and over on Weight Watchers, but haven't seen a recipe yet!

• slfam
        slfam commented
        Editing a comment
        mocamom Honestly, I made it up! I simmered the cauliflower in some of the liquid from the pork and added chopped tomatoes, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt... Then I just cooked it till tender.It was great with the carnitas!

Summer Camp Week 3 July 2018 Mess Hall
      This trifle did not turn out quite the way the recipe intended. Blueberries and raspberries are not in season "downunder" and I am not a fan of frozen or canned, so fresh strawberries were subbed. Then I arrived home without the main ingredient of cream cheese, used pouring custard instead. Well they say a good cook can always remedy shortfalls in ingredients by substituting, so.......this was my take on the sweets for this weeks meal. Was delicious though!
      Last edited by nanascrapper; 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that you put it in individual cups. Honestly, I think I will copy this. That way no one person in my household will eat everyone else's portion!! Out of curiosity, what is pouring custard by chance?

Grilled corn!

[IMG]Grilled Corn by Becky Hart, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey you did great with this! My son just saw this and now wants some!

Pork came out so yummy!!!
      [IMG]Pork by kimmeadowskern, on Flickr
      [IMG]

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Look how pretty you made your plate Kim!

• kimkern72
        kimkern72 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you

The grilled corn was so good. We have never grilled it before and it was nice to not have a pot of boiling water in my already hot summer kitchen Adding this recipe to my summer recipes! Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't even think about that aspect! It was 106 here today and will stay that way next week. I need to get brave and fire up the grill

Blueberries were on sale so I used them plus I needed to usesome kiwis I had in the fridge. They worked well with the lemon curd whipped cream. Here's mine:
      Last edited by jang; 07-21-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhh that looks delicious! And mixing kiwis in there is perfect

We had this last night but dad didn't know the corns were supposed to be grilled and only could save one piece from the hot boiling water LOL
      💎⭐🌹🌑❤️ Gallery | Instagram

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Too funny about him not knowing! Could you taste a difference between the grilled one and the boiled ones? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Those kabobs look amazing!

I made the mexican rice from last week again to go with the Pork Carnitas

Comment

Working...
      X