WEEK #2 | MESS HALL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #2 | MESS HALL

Hi campers... are you ready to get your grub on?! I'm your camp counselor for the WEEK #2 MESS HALL challenge!

At Summer Camp, MESS HALL is where you go to eat. And with that in mind, each week we'll be posting one full meal (main dish, side dish, and dessert--or sometimes a drink!). To earn a badge for that week... you simply need to try at least ONE of the THREE recipes we share, and then post a photo of the result here in the thread for that week's MESS HALL challenge!

I gotta say, when I actually go camping, I always have fun with new recipes to make around the campfire. Some have turned out pretty great, others have become a hilarious story, never to be eaten again. Luckily, with TDP's Summer Camp, we have our full kitchens to use.

So for the WEEK #2 Mess Hall, we've got some awesome recipes that I'm really excited to try out. To earn your badge for this challenge, you simply need to try at least ONE of the THREE recipes... and post of a photo of the result here in this thread.

Here's a sneak peek at this week's menu (to see it all, including the recipes, click through and you'll find it on the blog!)...

WEEK #2 MESS HALL

Rules for this week's MESS HALL challenge:
    ---Try making at least ONE of the THREE recipes featured in the blog post linked up above
    ---Start a post in this thread, and post a photo of the result of your cooking adventure (you should use a photo sharing site/service -- not the TDP gallery -- to host your image)
    ---To receive credit toward your MESS HALL badge for WEEK #2, your photo will need to be posted in this thread by 11:59pm PT on Saturday 7/14.
    ---Have fun, and ENJOY!

Last edited by Laura Passage; 07-08-2018, 10:43 AM.

That looks delicious - will check out the blog!

Comment

I will have to have my husband tell me which he wants to try this week!

Comment

I was planning on making taquitos for dinner tonight anyway! Thanks for the new recipe; it was delicious. My menu included refried beans and cheese enchilladas. I did not make the salsa as I had pico de gallo already made with ingredients from my garden.

[IMG]2018-07-08 19.51.34 by krazykazy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• Heidi Nicole
          Heidi Nicole commented
          Editing a comment
          Yummy! Looks amazing!

Oooooh Hillary this was a GOOD ONE! I'm happy to say we've added it to our regular rotation of dinners. Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

Oh My Goodness I have died and gone to Low Carb Heaven!!! I made the taquitos and salsa. On the salsa I used fresh tomatoes and left it chunky and for the tortillas I subbed out cheese shells that I baked and my avocados were still too firm for guacamole so I just cut them. Delicious!!!
          [img]2018-07-09 18.45.06 by Slfam[/img]
          Happiness is a choice ~ Choose wisely

Comment

• slfam
            slfam commented
            Editing a comment
            caliten It's really easy. Just spread about 1/3 cup of cheese in a loose circle on parchment paper and bake for about 8 minutes on 375*F. Gently slid it off with a knife and drape over the handle of a pot for a minute or two. There are lots of recipes if you google it. So yummy!!!

• shannonc
            shannonc commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow slfam those shells look amazing! I might have to try that!

• antebellum
            antebellum commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look amazing & I know this cheese loving family would be all over this. I'm putting this idea on the "to-do" list! Thanks for sharing!

The Cucumber Martini was really refreshing and tasty. Thanks for the recipes.

Comment

• shannonc
            shannonc commented
            Editing a comment
            Nicely done, lauriezyskind !! You made them ALL?! You deserve extra points! Looks really good! Thanks for playing!

• Heidi Nicole
            Heidi Nicole commented
            Editing a comment
            This looks amazing! I love that you tried them all xx

Dang! I shouldn't come here when dieting!!! This looks all so delicious!!!! I sure need one of those!
          Great job everyone!

Comment

Here's mine:

Comment

Taquitos & Rice by Michelle Pelkey, on Flickr
              Cucumber Martini by Michelle Pelkey, on Flickr
              Delish! Will definitely make these again
              Last edited by Mickeyap1; 07-11-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• shannonc
                shannonc commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks great, Michelle! You seem to have hit all three recipes too! Thanks for playing along!

I had a go at the Mexican rice (although I used the wrong rice, but it worjs with Basmati too!), which the rest of the family had with some chicken, but I'm a veggie, so I just had the rice! Thanks for the recipe

Comment

• shannonc
                shannonc commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm making this rice tonight and am super excited! Good to know that basmati rice works as well Thanks for playing, Corrin!

This week I made the Baked Chicken Taquitos. We really liked them so they have been added to the keeper recipes. Thanks for the great recipe!

Comment

I avoided some of the spicier elements of this recipe and subbed grated cheese I had as I couldn't find the Queso Fresco at my supermarket, but I will keep and eye open for it elsewhere!
                Last edited by nanascrapper; 07-13-2018, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Heidi Nicole
                  Heidi Nicole commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really love this layout! What a great idea! <3

My family just loved the Taquitos! Both for dinner and leftovers.
                This is the picture out of the oven. My kids didn't want any toppings and my husband and I had them with sour cream and salsa!

[IMG]2018-07-09 17.39.17 by Becky Hart, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

I already had Skinnytaste's Zucchini Enchiladas on the menu before the mess hall recipe came out. I had some zucchini from our Farm Partnership that I needed to use up. Otherwise I would have loved to have tried the taquitos as I love those! But I did make the rice as a side dish for the enchiladas. My picky 7yr old loved the rice so that was a huge bonus.She rarely likes anything new. Oh and I could not find the tomato bouillon so I just added 1 tablespoon tomato paste to my water and added some salt. Best I could do without the bouillon.

Comment

Working...
                  X