WEEK #2 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #2 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Welcome to Week 2 of Summer Camp here at The Digital Press! I hope you are having fun with the chats, challenges, and games. My name is Robin, and I’m here as your counselor this week for the WEEK #2 ARTS & CRAFTS challenge!

Once again, for the weekly Arts & Crafts project you'll be making a layout using tutorials from our blog; HOWEVER, this week... you must choose TWO of our tutorials and use the techniques in them to create a layout or project of your choice. You've mastered using one tutorial, last week... so now it's time to try mixing two new/different tutorials/techniques into this week's project!.

Camp is all about growing, and this will help us do just that. You know you love growing

To make it easy to browse all of the many tutorials that can be found on The Digital Press's blog, the entire collection of tutorials is cataloged on our TDP Pinterest board for tutorials FOUND HERE. There are so many tutorial topics for you to choose from, that you will surely find something that will challenge you as a scrapper -- whether it's focused on photography, journaling, Photoshop techniques, or other design techniques.

To give you some inspiration... here's a layout that I created using “Scrapping Imperfect Photos" and "Simple Way to Add Video to Your Memory Keeping". My son had his first piano recital with the new teacher, and there were so many kids that the parents had to stand waaaay back to get photos. Well that means the photos I did manage to get (over everyone’s heads) were grainy, but I HAD to scrap them regardless. They are precious memories! And fortunately we were able to record his playing (mistakes and all!) so I DEFINITELY wanted to include those as well. Thankfully these two tutorials were perfect for helping me make my page!

Made with The Right Note by KimB Designs and Make it Count February 2018 by Anita Designs.

Another TDP Creative Team Member. Hillary, made a page using the Combining Patterned Papers tutorial, specifically tip 3: Choosing a STAR paper (that bold floral) and then adding supporting papers, and tip 4: Just go for it!, and the Getting Creative With Alphas tutorials...

(CREDITS: Rejuvenate - Alphas & Patterns | by Dawn By Design, Getaway - Elements & Journal Cards | by Sahin Designs, Glintz - Templates | by Anita Designs & Sahin Designs, Itty Bitty Alphas, Straight Up Alphas, and Sans Serif Stamped Alpha | by Dawn By Design)

Here are the rules of this challenge:
    1. Create an original layout or project using TWO of the tutorial posts found on TDP's blog (linked above) using 100% TDP products. Use two tutorials that you haven’t used before!
    2. Post your layout by 11:59pm PT on Saturday 7/14/2018 in the
    CHALLENGE GALLERY
    3. Start a post, below, in which you can link us up to your layout from the gallery... and also link us to the tutorial you used to complete your layout or project
    4. Don't forget to track your badges for SUMMER CAMP! If you need more information on how to do this, see HERE.

Last edited by Hillary; 07-08-2018, 03:06 PM.
    Save
    Save

I used the Frame It Up and Custom Shaped Text Boxes

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      This is beautiful Shannon. I love the fact that you scrapped this memory. That polka dot frame is perfect for directing the eye to the sign!

.I used the Text Boxes and the Make Your Own Postage Stamp tutorials. Here's mine:

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your large photo and the processing on it is great! That postage stamp looks like it was part of the kit you made it so well!

I used Tutorial Transferring Templates Oct 17 2017 http://www.thedigitalpress.co/catego...orials/page/8/
    Titles Matter Oct 24 2017 http://www.thedigitalpress.co/catego...orials/page/8/
    Last edited by nanascrapper; 07-09-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the way you divided your background and your extra paper behind the photo really ties in both papers! Your title work is fantastic!

This is my week 2 Arts & Crafts project. I used Hybrid How - To / Custom Desk Calendars & Tutorial Tuesday / Highlighting a photo using strokes. Cards: Meg Designs Calendar 2018, Dunia Life is good, Mari Koegelenberg Home for the holidays, Sahin Designs Fireside, Laura Passage Project Twenty Fifteen March, Sept, Oct. Created cards in PS, printed, cut then inserted into flip calendar. Thinking of creating an enlarged planner book later with the files. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by lauriezyskind; 07-10-2018, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Wow Wow!! I love how you did this hybrid project which is something I totally can't even begin to do! What a great idea!

• Heidi Nicole
      Heidi Nicole commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy moly! This is freaking awesome! <3

Thanks for hosting such a fun challenge!!

I used the tutorials http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...terned-papers/ and http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...stamped-title/, although I put a spin on it--I used the stamping technique around the page and across a patterned paper.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the way you tucked the string between the papers and stitched the top one down! This is so soft and pretty and it made me want to take a nap hehe

tutorials used:
    Tiny Technique for a Boost of Realism
    http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tiny-t...st-of-realism/
    Tutorial Tuesday - Creating a Cut-Out
    http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ing-a-cut-out/

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job on both of these techniques! Your paint really does look realistic over your cut out. Perfect page!!

I love how much I am learning with these tutorial challenges! I used All Laid Out Vol 6 Template (Dawn by Design) and Emotions (Anita Designs). For the tutorials I learned how to create a cut out and I learned how to write text in shapes.
    http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ing-a-cut-out/
    http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ed-text-boxes/
    [img]dbd_laidout5_tp k by Slfam[/img]
    Happiness is a choice ~ Choose wisely

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Your son is so handsome! I love that you combined so many patterns in such a pleasing way! This page is a great masculine yet gorgeous page!

• Heidi Nicole
      Heidi Nicole commented
      Editing a comment
      Such a great layout! It's amazing how quickly they grow up, right?! Love what you've done here!

I used: lengthen your elements (ribbon) and photo to sketch

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that blended sketch! This is one of the tutorials that I want to try next. Fabulous way to use it!

I used these two tutorials :

- using the "Create a Visual Triangle" method

I actually snuck in a 3rd one which was using the gradient with clipping mask but since I added it directly to the photo & not a mask I wasn't sure if it would count.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have counted it hehe! I have a difficult time with shadows so I am impressed how well you used them. Your mask is perfect!

I've used Wave shadowing tutorial for the paper strip and writing text around a circle

Proudly creating for Anita Designs - Designed by Irma - Dunia Designs - MEG Designs and Monthly Chronicles

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, this is the shadowing tutorial that I KNEW we had, but could never find. I'm so glad you used it Anne! I love the way you applied it. I truly feel like I could just pick your items up right off that page!

So excited to learn new tricks!! Making a code to link a video was much easier than I thought it would be. I also did the combining pattern paper (which I do a lot) so I challenged myself by using papers from different kits.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      First of all I think you did a great job of mixing kits - that takes talent! And I LOVED that video. His voice is great and the fact that you could capture his friends' lights too is a memory he'll love when he gets older. Great job!!

I had a lot of fun playing in Arts & Crafts this week. I used the tutorials Scrapbooking Inspiration http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...g-inspiration/ and Transforming Templates http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ing-templates/ I really liked the idea of taking screenshots and adding them to our scrapbook pages. I tend the used templates exactly as they are made and don't tend to play with them. I loved the diamonds on this template so I duplicated them to make my background. The frames seemed the perfect size for Instagram photos so I duplicated them to include more screenshots. Here is my page:

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great idea to make a page of books to be read! The diamonds and the different papers are perfect!

well making this has been quite an experience! My printer ran out of ink, my mouse gave up totally and stopped working, and because I was a bit flusterd and frustrated, I forgot to put my better card/paper in the printer, so the tags are a bit less sturdy than I would like! I am still hoping my local £1 shop will once aggain have the stand alone photo frames that were used in the tutorial, but for now, this will work! I loved Sabrina's tutorial for the Memory Flip Calendar, and wanted to combine it with the tutorial about making a Summer Bucket List - and here is how it looks...

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great idea Corrin! Will your kids pick which one or will you choose for them? I love this and am blown away that you spent so much time on it! Amazing!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      a bit of both! some days I will pick, some days they can pick, and some days I w ill give them a choice of 3 to choose from! Of course what would have been REALLY clever of me, would have been &quot;letting&quot; the children do all the fiddly cutting out as one of the activities!!

There are so many Tutorial Tuesday options to choose from! It may not be easy to see what I used. From Brightening Dark or Dull Photos, I played with brightness/contrast and levels, but I also discovered that I like using the shadows/highlights adjustment. With the Using the Layer Mask tutorial, I finally learned how to use those instead of deleted bits and pieces! On the string holding the tag, I used a layer mask to remove the bit of string that goes under the tag. I actually use other techniques also, but these are the ones that are new to me, so thanks for giving me the chance to learn! This is page 1 of a 2-page layout, where the 2nd page was done as part of the Orienteering challenge for this week. I've added both here so you can see how they might look together.

sigpic

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your two page spread and I'm slightly jealous that you thought ahead to get TWO badges from this double page spread. Way to go! Great work with the masks too!
Working...
X