WEEK #1 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #1 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Hey folks, and welcome to Summer Camp! We have so much fun in store for you this month, including fun new challenges every week, bonfires, and lots and lots of opportunities to explore your creative side! My name is Carrie and I'm your camp counselor for the Arts & Crafts challenge this week!

You know that throughout the year we post new tutorials every Tuesday. Do you read them? I certainly do; and more often than not I find myself learning new tricks, or picking up new skills. Your challenge this week is to pick just one of them [we put them all together on this handy Pinterest board RIGHT HERE] and use it to make a layout. But, because picking just one tutorial is so easy, I'm going to challenge you to use one you've never used before. Try something new. That's what summer camp's all about, right?

So here's my layout. I used the tutorial Getting Creative With Alphas by the ever-amazing Shivani. This page is just one of many documenting our most recent summer vacation/family holiday. I'm making a two page spread for each event/day: one 12x12" page and a facing pocket page with 6 4x6" inserts. This page is one of those pocket pages, so I'll be printing it out at 4x6 images instead of a single 12x12" page. But since this is about the alphas, I used the wood alpha from KimB's C'est La Vie | The Alphabets, but dressed it up a bit by clipping the dark brown paper from World Traveler | Kit by Juno Designs & Meagan's Creations, and then changing the blend mode on the paper to Linear Light. I love the dark wood effect it gives the letters. The typewriter stamped letters are from Block Out | Alpha by Dawn by Design. The scripty bit ("the menu") is a stamp from Table for Two | Stamps by Sahin Designs.

We also have this gorgeous hybrid project from KerriAnne, and here she is to share the details of her project!

Hello Campers!
    Don't you love the creative ways Carrie used the alphas and typed letters in her layout?! I'm inspired to try to be more creative with my titles- but until then, I found a simple hybrid project from the super talented Kate. She shared some cute Hybrid Napkin Rings on the blog back in November 2017. Summer around here is pretty casual - paper plates and napkins are perfect most days but I wanted a little something to make the 4th of July and picnics and get-togethers a little more special. I found ...And the Pursuit of Happiness | Kit by Wishing Well Creations by Laura Passage. The patriotic colors and fun summer vibe are perfect for napkin rings. I love the way they've turned out and they were so quick and easy - give it a try for your next get together! Happy summer everyone - now bring on the parties!

Oh. My. Gosh. Aren't those just the cutest? As you can see, you can take this challenge just about any way you want, as long as you stick to the rules. Because at camp, there's always rules. Blah. But, let's go over them anyway.

Rules:
    1. Your layout needs to be new for this challenge, apply something you've learned from one of our Tutorial Tuesday posts [here], and needs to be a tutorial you've never used on a TDP layout before.
    2. You must load your layout into the challenge gallery here at TDP and into this thread.
    3. Your layout must be completed and posted by 11:59 pm ET on Saturday, July 7, 2018.
    4. And lastly and most importantly, have fun learning and applying something new!
    Last edited by caliten; 07-06-2018, 11:38 AM.

Does this have to be hybrid page?

Comment

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      No, you just need to pick one of our tutorials that you have never tried before and make a layout or a hybrid project.

I used the Digital Mini Album tutorial. Here's mine:

Comment

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      I really enjoyed reading about your adventures, and I love that you scrapped it so simply so as to not take away from the memories.

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      What a wonderful way to capture so many different memories. This page reminds me of a magazine spread.
      Last edited by caliten; 07-06-2018, 02:50 PM.

Here is my layout! I picked the Highlighting A Photo Using Strokes tutorial.

My Gallery

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I love all the happy colors and how they contrast with the black and white photo (with its lovely stroke).

I used Documenting Kid's Artwork

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great tutorial you chose, if I do say so myself. And I love that you've compared the drawing and the photo. Very cool.

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep wanting to try that tutorial too, I love the way your page shows us the picture and the person that drew it!

I still have sooo much to learn about PSE! I chose a basic tutorial that I know I will use a lot (now that I know how to do it) - using the smudge tool. I just learned how to blur photos using the feather and blur tools yesterday so I thought I'd combine them here for more practice! My tutorial is found here: http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...cting-privacy/ and for my layout I used a beautiful collab by Anita Designs and Ninigoesdigi called Seaside Calls.
    [img]SwL_FocalPointTemplate3-day-1-web by Slfam[/img]
    Happiness is a choice ~ Choose wisely

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      That too is an excellent tutorial, if I do say so myself. I love that you were able to capture so many memories on a single page.

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your background papers, the top part with several papers overlapping each other looks really good, and such a perfect nautical theme!

• ninigoesdigi
      ninigoesdigi commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh thank you for using our collab!! I am so happy to see it again in such good use! I myself just scraped with it today! What a coincidence! Great mind think alike lol! thank you for sharing with us!

I used this tutorial:
    Custom Journal Strips: http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ournal-strips/
    I had made journal strips before, but the tip about the polygonal lasso tool was brilliant! Now the strips look like I've cut them freehand.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      They certainly do, and those freehand strips go so well with the rest of your page!
      Last edited by caliten; 07-06-2018, 03:34 PM.

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      haha, that is so true! I love your page, such pretty colours and papers, and the paper strips look great! well done

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      I can so identify with that, 90% song lyrics.
      Wonderful and fun, well done.

I used the Custom Journal strips tutorial!! I love it. I couldn't find the polygonal lasso tool on PSE18, but still love the look with the rectangles.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      fun page, and a sweet memory captured!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      mmmm ice cream!! Your paper strips look good, ad I love that rainbow stripe paper behind your lovely big photo!

Summer Camp Week 1 Arts and Crafts

I used the Editing Colours Individually Tutorial from June 5 2018.

Use this colour change quite a lot. Have colour changed the birds body feathers and the green flower was yellow initially.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. It's hard to tell that you've modified the colors in those photos! Well done!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks so natural, well done!

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, hats off to you, well done.

Summer Camp Week 1 Arts & Crafts
    I used the Tutorial Tuesday PART 1,2 & 3: Use Products from TDP to Scrap on Your Phone. Learn how to add text to your own pocket cards using mobile apps.
    Since the Project Life App now has the text option it made it much easier. I used a few other app. Adobe Capture (to pull the colors from the PL Cards. LetterGlow for the journaling since it allows you to add the RGB colors from Adobe Capture. I then took the image into PS and added a cluster of elements to one of the cards. I used SahinDesign Woodnote cards & Traveloge elements. I have used the apps before to scrap but didn't think of finishing them up in PS to embellish and get nice shadows. This was something new and enjoyed the tutorial's. Looking forward to trying more of them in the future. Thanks!
    Last edited by lauriezyskind; 07-03-2018, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      With this gorgeous page, you're inspiring me to give the PL app another chance!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      what beautiful pictures, and they all look great with your elements too (shadows are perfect!)

OH WOW!! I was so unsure about this challenge because I use Artisan 5 and the tutorials don't work for my program BUT I am sooo excited to share that I accomplished TWO new techniques to me. I used the Embossing and the Text Around an Element. I was giddy when I figured them out LOL. Thanks for the push on this challenge. LOVE it. I used Julia Makotinsky's It's A New Day.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Hooray for learning new things! You've executed both very well. Those embossed papers totally remind me of the physical ones I used to make with ... was it the Big Shot?

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      fantastic!! It is so much fun to learn a new trick! I love your journaling around the apple, such a sweet way to do it on a page about kindergarten!

I used the tutorial Frame It Up by Shivani Sohal http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...y-frame-it-up/ So many wonderful ideas! I really liked the idea of using a mask and a frame. Thanks for the great tutorial! Here is my page:

Last edited by lorieh; 07-03-2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Shivani's written some great tutorials! Lovely mask and I really like how the frame highlights the most important part of your photo.

I took some inspiration from the Getting Creative With Alphas tutorial - which has some amazing ideas! I did a combo of journal titling and word art, which was one of the examples.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Shannon. Wow. You've done a wonderful job showcasing an amazing photo. The scatter of stars in the background is just .PERFECT.

It was so awesome to put this list together. I might have to do this every month.
    I used this tutorial
    http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ent-favorites/

Loving it here <3

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      What a fun page! And I love the almost-unexpected combination of green, pink and red.

It's awesome to see all these beautiful layouts! I am shocked on how many of these tutorials I never noticed, and now want to try- great inspiration here!

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Right?!?! There are so many to choose from, but I'm tickled that folks are reaching outside of their comfort zone and trying something new.

caliten - Me too! I'm inspired to try a few new things based on their picks- great challenge- thanks for hosting!
      Last edited by kaphelps; 07-06-2018, 06:49 PM.
Working...
X