WEEK #3 | MESS HALL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #3 | MESS HALL

Hello there, and welcome to our official Summer Camp MESS HALL for WEEK #3!

At Summer Camp, MESS HALL is where you go to eat. And with that in mind, each week we're be posting one full meal (main dish, side dish, and dessert-or-cocktail). To earn a badge for that week... you simply need to try at least ONE of the THREE recipes we share, and then post a photo of the result here in the thread for that week's MESS HALL challenge!

Here's a sneak peek at this week's menu (to see it all, including the recipes, click through and you'll find it on the blog!)...

MESS HALL | WEEK #3

Rules for this week's MESS HALL challenge:
    ---Try making at least ONE of the THREE recipes featured in the blog post linked up above
    ---Start a post in this thread, and post a photo of the result of your cooking adventure (you should use a photo sharing site/service -- not the TDP gallery -- to host your image)
    ---To receive credit toward your MESS HALL badge for WEEK #3, your photo will need to be posted in this thread by 11:59pm PT on Saturday 7/22.
    ---Have fun, and ENJOY!

~ Laura ~

I just looked at the recipe for the Chocolate Chunk Quick Bread and noticed a discrepancy. The directions say : " In a measuring cup, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla." But "vanilla" isn't one of the ingredients. Looking at similar recipes, I'd say the amount of vanilla should be at least 1/2 tsp. if not one full teaspoon.

I also think you could use vanilla yogurt instead of the plain yogurt.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      That substitution, vanilla yogurt for plain yogurt, may not work as intended since vanilla yogurt is considerably sweeter, and doesn't have the tartness of plain yogurt. The resulting flavor profile in the bread may not be what the author intended, though it may be something that your particular palate enjoys.

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for spotting that, Pups_r_Paps. I did miss adding the vanilla to the ingredient list. I use 1 full teaspoon of vanilla and will let Laura know about my mistake so the blog post can be corrected. Thanks, again!

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      Re: vanilla yogurt. I second what caliten said. This particular recipe doesn't yield a super sweet result, so if you're looking for something a little sweeter, the pre-sweetened vanilla yogurt is a good substitute for plain yogurt. But if you prefer something on the less sweet side, I recommended sticking with the plain, unsweetened yogurt.

The recipe for the Mac & Cheese lists hot sauce twice - I am almost sure it was just a case of mistyping.

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you're correct. The hot sauce should only be on the ingredient list once. Thanks for letting me know! I'll ask Laura to make the correction in the blog post.

Also agree that the sharp cheddar is a tad strong but it is what I had. Here's mine:
    Last edited by jang; 07-17-2017, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG yum. I need to make that mac-n-cheese STAT!

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh, this looks like such a yummy meal!

with gluten and dairy issues, we're mach-n-cheese-free here (boo hoo!), but we did make that bread (pictures on the way), and oh my was is ever yummy. We ate it for dessert and then again for breakfast the next morning. I used regular chocolate chips, and I think the next time around I'll try mini chips. Otherwise, it was excellent! Fun times, and thanks for sharing this with us, Kristen / kbecca !

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      caliten I'm so glad that you enjoyed the bread, Carrie!

I made the mac-n-chs as a special treat for my son. He didn't like the real cheese in it. He likes the deli white american cheese and my medium white sauce recipe. He told me don't mess with a perfected recipe. lol. I like the real cheese, so it was a nice treat for me. woo hoo. I made it with the bits and pieces of leftover cheeses that needed to be used up. I'll make it again using all sharp cheddar or extra sharp when dh takes the kids away for the weekend in the future. I even added another splash of hot sauce to the top of mine since I went lighter in the recipe with it.
    [IMG]

[/IMG]

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      When I was a kid, it was all about the Kraft mac & cheese in the blue box, so I probably would've had the same reaction to "real cheese" mac & cheese as your son. Haha! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it, LisaDV , and adding a splash of hot sauce on top is a great idea.

I don't have a slow cooker, but it turned out delicious!

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, cinderella ! Are those potatoes that you served it over. Looks delicious!

The Mac n Cheese recipe was a winner, so I made a recipe page to put in my binder:

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      Great layout, AZK ! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the mac & cheese.

I made the Slow Cooker Italian Chicken and Peppers. The chicken was so tender! Delicious! I love recipes I can put in the crock pot and go on with my day. Thanks for sharing it.
    Last edited by lorieh; 07-20-2017, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      lorieh, I totally agree about crock pot recipes. It's so nice to put your ingredients in, turn it on, and go on with your day. Thanks for giving the recipe a try. Glad you liked it!

I made the mac and cheese. We always put cut up hot dogs and green peppers in ours. It's a really good combination!

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had mac & cheese with cut up hot dogs (mmm!) but have never thought of adding peppers, too. That looks delicious, barbaraj !

My husband & I liked the mac & cheese but the boys said it didn't taste right LOL! They've only ever had Kraft Mac & Cheese so I'll have to make it again for them to retry

Comment

• KAPOH
      KAPOH commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with your boys-see my layout below!

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha! When I was a kid, I probably would've had the same reaction as your boys. It was all about the Kraft mac & cheese. Thanks for giving the recipe a try!

Comment

• kbecca
      kbecca commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't even realize that Kraft had a microwave version available. Where have I been?! You're right, can't beat classic comfort food in three and a half minutes! Thanks for giving the recipe a try, KAPOH

I made both the mac/cheese and the chocolate bread.

Comment

We enjoyed the Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Peppers. I think next time, I will double the chicken or use half the peppers & onions. We had it on buns last night and will have the rest over spiral noodles tonight.

Comment

I decided to make the Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Peppers. Here is mine:

Last edited by gwalters; 07-22-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X