WEEK #2 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #2 | ARTS & CRAFTS

Hello TDP campers! I'm Robin, and I'm the camp counselor in charge of Arts & Crafts for this second week of SUMMER CAMP at The Digital Press! Can you believe the first week is done already??!!

Once again, for the Arts & Crafts project you'll be making a layout using tutorials from our blog. HOWEVER, this week you must choose TWO of our tutorials and use the techniques in them to create a layout or project of your choice. You've mastered using one tutorial, so now it's time to try mixing two. Camp is all about growing, and this will help us do just that. You know you love growing

To make it easy to browse all of the many tutorials that can be found on The Digital Press's blog, the entire collection of tutorials is cataloged on our TDP Pinterest board for tutorials FOUND HERE. There are so many tutorial topics for you to choose from, that you will surely find something that will challenge you as a scrapper -- whether it's focused on photography, journaling, Photoshop techniques, or other design techniques.

Here are the rules of this challenge:
    1. Create an original layout or project using TWO of the tutorial posts found on TDP's blog (linked above) using 100% TDP products
    2. Post your layout by 11:59pm PT on Saturday 7/15/2017 in the challenge gallery
    3. Start a post, below, in which you can link us up to your layout from the gallery... and also link us to the tutorial you used to complete your layout or project
    4. Don't forget to track your badges for SUMMER CAMP! If you need more information on how to do this, see HERE.

To give you some inspiration... here's a layout that I created using "Five Ways to Create Visually-Appealing Layout Designs" and "Photography Tips for Shooting in the Dark". I first had my husband take my photo using the light from my Kindle Fire while I read a book outside on our villa's balcony. Then I scrapped it using the rule of thirds and placing my black and white photo on the intersection of the lower left side of my imaginary grid. There were so many fun tutorials that I had a hard time picking just two, but I love this layout especially since it proves I was there on vacation (since I'm the family photographer, I'm never in the photos and thus can't prove I exist!).

Additionally, here is another example by TDP creative team member, Stefanie. She used Chloe's Posing Tutorial tutorial for her photo bottom right and her very own Scraplift Yourself tutorial, scraplifting a layout she made earlier this week.

I hope you are having as much fun at Summer Camp as I am and I can't wait to see how the tutorials inspire you, and what you make!
    Last edited by Hillary; 07-07-2017, 03:10 PM.
    Save
    Save

Fun fun! Ok I had a page that I a ton of pictures so I used the Multiple Photos tutorial and then also the Playing With Pocket Templates tutorial... I tilted everything!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your mixture of both B&W and color photos! And my kids beat me at Life as well. What's up with that???

great challenge, it's always fun to use templates

Comment

I used these tutorials to create my ATC:
      June 5, 2017 - Digital Artist Trading Cards
      October 11, 2016 - Create Your Own Postage Stamp Frame - for this one, I had to tweak it a bit since I use PSE 14. I had to change step #5 as follows: – Using the BRUSH TOOL, select a hard round brush (I used 60 pixels). Click on the “Brush Settings” and change “Spacing” to 150%. Create a new layer in the Layers Panel. Line up the center of your brush shape with one of the corner edges of the square shape that is going to become your postage stamp. While holding down the Shift key (to keep a straight line) click at the start and then again at the end of the edge of your square. This creates, above your square layer, a layer of dots that appear to be half on your square and half off. Select the dots by clicking on the layer thumbnail in the Layers Panel. This puts marching ants around your dots. Click to select the layer that contains your square. Click “delete”. Delete the “dot” layer. Repeat for the other sides of your postage stamp.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty neat that you could adjust the instructions for your software. Great beveled edge and shadowing too!

I used "scraplift yourself" & "Blend Modes"

I blended the paw & polka dot papers

I scraplifted this really old layout

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Though the frosting looks yummy Aimie, that puppy face is adorable!! I love your pocket too - it's a great place for your journal card!

I used the tutorial on Blend Modes and combined 2 papers with lnear burn and opacity 81% plus the tutorial on combining 2 Templates. Here's mine:

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        You would never even know that you blended the papers! I LOVE MacGyver. I used to take stuff a part and put it back together with other things to emulate him. I thought my ingenuity was clever - my mom not so much though

Here is my layout:

I used the tutorial for multiple photos and the tutorial for extracting digital elements!

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't seen a "day in the life" layout done in circles Jennifer! This is gorgeous!

I used the tutorials "Digital Artist Trading Card" and "Masking With a Gradient Tool" to make this ATC:

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Great card! I'll be totally honest and tell you that I tried using the gradient tool to get this effect and the results weren't recognizable nor pretty. You have a much better grasp of this!

Thanks for the challenge!

Tutorials used:
      Tuck it in! Hide your Photo Corners under Paper
      Tutorial Tuesday | Blending Text

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been wanting to try the Tuck it in tutorial - was it pretty easy for you? The results are beautiful!!

• cinderella
        cinderella commented
        Editing a comment
        It was really easy! And the best part is something I could have never though of: you create a template and use it over and over again!

I used Scrapping Imperfect Photos where I made some of the photos smaller because they weren’t great quality. I also used Scraplifting Yourself (using the template from Week #2 | Orienteering) since I had some many photos to scrap)

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Love your title work "various ages and various parks"! That's a great way to describe the variety of photos with one unifying theme!

Thank you for hosting - here's mine (I chose the tutorials for Using Pocket Templates and Splitting Photos into Multiple Spots):

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        You lined up your photos perfectly for the split and you filled up your pocket page with gorgeous clusters!

I have used "Blending Modes" and "Digital Extracting" tutorials for my page and the Kit "Brick by Brick" by Meagan's Creations

I blended 2 papers for the Background and then digitally extracted the inner star and wording on each cluster and added a small shadow to make them stand out more. I also extracted the black bricks in the lego paper.

http://

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Great job extracting! I love how you used the bricks in your background!

I used the Blend Modes and Scrapping Imperfect Photos tutorials. Can never get great pictures at the movie theater so I ran some filters on the photo and made it smaller. The paper I wanted to use for the background didn't have the comic book paper look so I took a solid paper that had the pattern and blended it with the star burst. Love the result!

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        You should love the results!!!! I have movie pics that I never scrap so thank you for showing me this! And you totally made a whole new paper that wasn't in the kit. My husband would love it if I could expand my kits this way!!

Here's mine.

I used Custom-Made Journal Cards:
      http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...rnaling-cards/
      and The Spherize Technique:
      http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...ize-technique/

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhhh Barbara that sphere trick is one I want to try next. I use Artisan and not PS or PSE, but I finally found a way to do it. I just need to make the time. You rocked this!

For this, I used 2 tutorials:
      Alternate uses for themed kits: http://www.thedigitalpress.co/tutori...emed-products/
      and
      Finishing with overlays: http://www.thedigitalpress.co/focus-...with-overlays/

The Kit I used was LJS Designs: We All Fall Down.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great overlay! The silhouette of the children looks great with your silhouette of your real child!!
    Working...
    X