WEEK #2 | LETTERS HOME

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEEK #2 | LETTERS HOME

Hello everyone! I am Shivani, and I am the camp counselor in charge of the WEEK #2 LETTERS HOME challenge. I hope you are enjoying our Summer Camp event so far! It is a great way to shake things up a bit at the Press here and have some fun whilst we do it!

So as you may be familiar by now, our 'letters home' events are basically journaling challenges... but with a twist! Since its a 'summer camp' theme, imagine yourself sitting around the bonfire with a nice cuppa and penning a lovely letter to someone or about something or even to your future self. The idea is to let your thoughts flow freely - don't cramp out the words - use them with abandon and I'm sure you will have a lovely message documented at the end of this challenge.

For me, when I started to look at some of these pics of my newly turned 3-year old, I wanted to write her a letter to tell her what I was thinking at the time - about the changes in her so far, and those that were still to come... why I was glad I was taking so many pictures of her and my hopes and little dreams around our family. You know - all the musings and the wonderings but converted into words.

And here is my finished page...

Here's another example by TDP Creative Team member Carrie. She told a story in letter format from her son's perspective to provide background information, and then responded with a letter of her own.

So it's simple, just follow the broad guidelines above and come up with a layout that would be a 'letter home' for you.

Some further requirements:
    1. Your page must have at least 100 WORDS OF JOURNALING.
    2 You page/project must be ready and uploaded into the gallery by 11:59pm PT on Saturday July 15th.
    3 After you have uploaded the page in the challenge gallery, please link it up here in this thread, as well.

So that's it! Go forth and conquer those words and let's create some lovely letters! I can't wait to see what you come up with

Last edited by Shivani; 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM.
    --- SHIVANI ---

Stunning layouts! I love journaling, and sometimes the best way is in a scrapbook page! ❤️

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Heidi!

Comment

• Lorie
      Lorie commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, your camp trip sounds like something that would happen to me. But I would have left a lot sooner. Wonderful layout.

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the simple layout with journaling shining though. So what I had in mind for this challenge. Thanks so much for playing along with me!

Thank you for hosting - love your layout. Here's mine (a bit on the dark side, but cathartic):

Comment

• Lorie
      Lorie commented
      Editing a comment
      Your journaling is very moving. As a parent, we do the best we can, something our grown children know and understand. No offense, but I think your 49 year old has more growing to do if she is still blaming you for her choices. Hugs to you as you heal from this hurt.

• gwalters
      gwalters commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Lorie - your kind words and your hugs mean a lot to me.

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for sharing. I hope you felt a bit better putting your thoughts in words. I so so agree with what you've said here. If you can;t be kind, be quiet. Very often I come across people, careless people, unthinking, self centred people who want to start a conversation by pointing out what's wrong, what's missing, what's imperfect. They pull themselves and others around them down too. You should be proud of all the effort you put in - what came off it was beyond your entire control. You are very brave to put this out there. Hugs!!!

great challenge

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Gaelle. I hope you will be playing!!!

My third child is going to college and I'm starting to realize how life will change yet again. We will have only one left at home. Time is just flying by and I don't know how to make it stop. So, like I've said in an earlier thread, I've been reflecting on what we've done and haven't done the first half of the year. I need to spend more time with the kids and less time trying to be "perfect" for everyone else. My friend just had a baby, and I can see already that she's falling into the same trap I did. So I wrote this letter. I don't think I'll ever mail it to her (so as to not be one more person judging her!), but it's something I need to remind myself so I don't waste any more time on the unimportant things!

Save
    Save

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh this is so so perfect Robin!!! Such an important thing to reminds us mums of - Stop rushing, take a breath, enjoy your blessing and make more memories I love your split journaling across two sheets - the shadows are perfect, those darling clusters but the star has to be your heartfelt words. Thanks so much for sharing and playing with me!

Here's mine:

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely journaling. I love reading through all the good times and the connection with Lake Michigan. The retro feel to the page complete with those adorable photos is so great. Thanks for sharing and playing with me!!!

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no good way to cope with loss. I hope you remember all the good memories that you and your loved one shared - the journey. Indeed the children and grandchildren are the best gifts one can leave behind. Thanks for sharing such a personal story and your feelings through this layout. Stories like these make me appreciate life more and yearn to garb all the time we have with our near and dear ones.

Ooooh...journaling!! I always love this one

can the journal in any language? I can't reach 100 words if it's in english
    Calista's Stuff

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes of course Meta. When sharing the layout here if you could just explain in brief what you have journaled about (in english) that will be great!

I used the tutorial from my Arts & Crafts LO to create the postage stamp on my page for this challenge!

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the physical scrapbook kind of feel that is coming from your page. Delightful font for journaling and a great perspective to write a letter from! Love the bright yellow flowers too!!! Thanks for much for playing with me!!!

Here is mine. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh this is just divine, Cinderella. You had me at baby feet!!!being a mother changes everything doesn't it! Love your heartfelt words - I couldn't have said it any better. The elements clusters are absolute perfection too! Thanks for sharing and playing with me.

so many lovely pages, and wonderful journaling! Here is my page!

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      ha ha ha ha I had to relook at it to see what I was seeing and then your journaling mad it so clear. Jokes aside, this is a tough time, There is this love between siblings - an undercurrent that flows but some days its harder to spot or feels more like a trickle! My girls are still young but some days I swear I feel like dealing with teens too! I keep telling myself that thy will find the love and look out for each other - stick up for and not against each other. Gosh! Its tough but I ma keeping the faith Thanks for playing with me Corrin. It is an absolute gem of a memory - hopefully something you'll all chuckle about later!

Thanks for the challenge. It pushed me to put down in words the thoughts that have been circling around in my head. Here is my page:

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      This is absolutely lovely Iorieh. I love the craft paper background, the cute photo and the colourful flowers I love how you have put down your feelings for your daughter at this important milestone of her life. Thanks for playing ad sharing this beautiful layout with us here.

Here's one from me:

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      This is such a unique layout Brabara! What a beautiful way to look back and create a timeline of progression. there are so many things in life that we forget about - if only we had something to look back and remember. The photo frames are really nice and the horses at the bottom of the layout absolutely set the theme of this memory.

Comment

• Shivani
      Shivani commented
      Editing a comment
      I can so relate to this Lisa. There is a different feeling when you are a mum to a daughter. There is so much you see in her and want the very best for her, knowing you went through the same stages and feeling at on time. Beautifully documented - so so touching! Thanks so much for sharing this here.

• LisaDV
      LisaDV commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Shivani.
Working...
X