dSLR or Cell Phone Camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dSLR or Cell Phone Camera?

For those of you that have a dSLR camera, lens, the whole kit 'n' kaboodle ... do you use it all that often anymore, now that cell phone cameras are getting so much better? I just ordered a phone upgrade today - LONG overdue ... I'm going from a Samsung Galaxy 5 to the S9+ (eeek!!!) - and the new phone will have double lens, so it's "supposed" to be really good for wide angle AND close up shots, with a great D.O.F. feature.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dSLR, but I'm wondering if, in reality, I'll use it all that much anymore?
    Last edited by Kat Hansen; 07-05-2018, 07:54 PM.

I am not all that techie so my phone is pretty basic. Not sure when I will have a phone that will take photos that I feel are comparable to my dSLR. So... I see myself sticking with my Nikon for now. Be sure to keep us posted about how you like your new phone and it's camera.

Comment

I lugged my dSLR along on our last overseas trip, and I didn't regret it. I liked having the ability to zoom without losing photo quality (something I dislike about zooming in with the phone camera), and also being able to quickly and easily switch to different modes (something that my phone may do, but far be it from me to have that figured out after .... 4 years). I also use the dSLR any time I have to photo projects or food for blog posts, or I want to get a good wide angle shot of something. All that said, 95% of my 'everyday' photos are take with my phone.

Comment

I can't recall the last time I took my big camera with me My iPhone 8+ is always with me and I mostly just snapshots anyway
        But if I go for some sightseeing yes I would take the big camera too

Comment

I do tend to use my cell phone most of the time for candid shots and stuff. But like Carrie mentioned, I am not thrilled with any of the photos I take where I have to zoom in. The quality is just not the same, so I still used my DSLR for traveling, sporting events, sightseeing, that kind of thing. Cell phone for everyday shots for sure.

Comment

I love my cell phone for everyday convenience, but my Dslr for events and game viewing.

Comment

I am using my iPhone about 90percent of the time - I'm kind of frustrated that I haven't used my DSLR more... I do tend to use it more in the winter months (low light & bokeh). Having said that, I'm grateful for the iPhone because it's the one that's with me all. the. time.

Comment

Eek! My new phone has arrived - and there's a bunch of pre-set options built into the camera - like a setting for food, professional, wide angle, and ... OMG, I'm going to have fun playing with this!

Comment

UPDATE -- So I took only my new phone this past weekend while visiting family ... and, um, the quality is darn good!! I love being able to get that macro-look with the blurred background (and being able to adjust that to my liking), and built-in filters. Here's just some of the many photos I took --

(some strange flowering plant at the lake)

(my great-niece, Allexis, just floating on the lake)

(my niece, Maegan, with her daughter, Autumn --- think I over-processed this one ... lost one of Maegan's arms in the white LOL ... but still have the original photo to go back to)

(Autumn gathering rocks and shells)

Amazing how far cell phone cameras have come!

Comment

I was just thinking of asking you how you were liking your phone Kat. My current phone is running out of memory and doesn't have the ability to add more so I will be forced soon to get a new phone. I think your photos look great. How is the battery life on this phone?

Comment

tiffany scraps - battery life is good, and most definitely waaaay better than my old phone. Quick charge (and it tells you on the screen how long that will take), and depending on how much you use it during the day, a full charge will last - and then some. Even with having the phone out for 5-6 hours at the lake, taking pictures and such, I ran it down to around 65%, but that was all. On a work day, like today, it's mostly notifications and such, so I'll be able to go home with it around 80% or more still good to go.

Comment

Oh, I should add - I got the Samsung Galaxy 9+

Comment

Those photos are gorgeous!!!

I am enjoying my iPhone 8+ too. The camera is so much better than what I had before (6+). Yesterday I got lucky enough to stumble upon a very tired dragonfly (or maybe close to the end of its life?) and it didn't flew away when I approached very closely my phone

Comment

• Kat Hansen
                            Kat Hansen commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wow! That's an amazing photo!!
                        Working...
                        X