Shadowing on pocket style vs. not-pocket style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowing on pocket style vs. not-pocket style

I've been getting into the pocket style pages a bit lately and noticed that I keep things almost 100% flat... no shadows at all. I've looked through the galleries and bit to see what others are doing but wanted to see if anyone had opinions on shadowing on pocket style pages vs. not. Do you treat them differently?

I'm not sure WHY I'm doing it differently, maybe to maintain the simplicity? But yeah... very few, if any shadows on the pocket styles.

What do you guys think?

I still shadow the elements that would be dimensional if they were on a real scrapbook/pocket page, like buttons and flowers and staples. Most of my pages though don't have heavy or really deep shadows though, so for me it's not all that different.

Comment

I still shadow my papers as papers and photos and the dimensional goodies as normal. Totally personal preference though.
      I tweak the plastic overlays (if you're using any) as I want the photos to shine and be clear.

Comment

• shannonc
        shannonc commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait a sec... when you say you tweak the plastic overlays... what does that mean? Physical overlays or digital? I don't think I know what you mean...

I shadow my pocket pages. I use actions. I don't really know what I am going though LOL

Comment

I tend to use really flat styles on the cards/papers in my pocket layouts- but still totally shadow the embellishments. Anything that would be dimensional I add- even a sticker!

Comment

• shannonc
          shannonc commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this is kinda what I'm gonna do. But I'm gonna do "short" shadows instead of having things really look like they're popping off the page.

I add shadows too, because in my head it's like I have pasted journal cards on a paper

Comment

shannonc some of templates appear to have plastic pockets with stitching or stitch-like edges. They can also have a plastic top which may or may not affect the crispness of the photos. Will have to see if I can find you some to show and tell.

Comment

I've been completing project life for quite a few years now. Last year I decided to use a graphic style without any shadowing and loved it. I did not use any elements but did use papers, journal cards, paints, stamps, word art etc. This year I am using shadowing and including a few elements. I'll probably swap back next year. ;-)
            ]e

Comment

I still use shadows on my PL pocket pages. Until this year I've used lots of embellishments on my pocket pages so they were heavily shadowed. This year I decided to go with a more simple look. I still use papers and cards and I use light paper-style shadows on those items. I'm not using any embellishments on my pocket pages this year (and I'm really enjoying the clean and simple look this year) so I don't have to work on shadows at all.

Who knows what look (clean and simple or embellished) I'll go for next year.
              Barbara's Forum Signature 900x150 by Barbara, on Flickr
              Save

Comment

• shannonc
                shannonc commented
                Editing a comment
                Isn't it funny how our styles change? If I go back and look at old scrapbooks, you can definitely see a progression and a shift in style. Anyway, thanks for your opinion!

I tend to shadow my Ellie's but not my photos. But I stink at pocket pages so take that with a grain of salt
              Save
              Save

Comment

I do different things deepening on my mood but really on how much time I have! Normally I would put deeper shadows if the pock page is not stitched down or under protective plastic covers. Otherwise much flatter. Same goes for ellies. Sometimes I would deliberately put ellies on top of the plastic cover just to give the layout some contrast and dimension.
                --- SHIVANI ---

Comment

I always shadow my pocket pages, too!

Comment

I do shadow my pocket pages, but it's very simple. I use actions and don't tweak them at all.

For regular digital pages, I go all out on the shadowing, manipulating and adding a ton of dimension. I guess I consider regular pages a form of art, while PL pages (to me) are more about getting the everyday stories told and printed. The photos aren't always the best quality, but they're still important. So shadowing stays basic.
                    --- KATE ---

Comment

Working...
                    X