Read-aloud books/series for older kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read-aloud books/series for older kids

I read aloud to my kids most nights before bed, and I'm on the hunt for new authors, stand-alones or series to try. My kids are 7 and 9, and are no so much into superheros or princesses. We've recently read and enjoyed the Beasts of Olympus books, and all four Dinotopia books. I didn't so much care for Book 1 on the How To Train Your Dragon series (sadly, as the movies were wonderful), and I'm trying to choose books they won't necessarily read on their own. I just picked up the first Land of Stories (by Chris Colfer) book at the library, but we haven't started it yet. Any recommendations on books to look for, or books to avoid?

Hey Carrie, we read every single day to the kids. Sometimes I use audiobooks for the cars, and sometimes I read during breakfast (the only time everyone is still enough to listen). We have read some great stories. These are my son's favorites:

The Candymakers
    Caddie Woodlawn
    Bud, Not Buddy
    Percy Jackson stories (the Greek ones - NOT the Roman ones)
    The Great Horn Spoon
    American Tall Tales
    Half Magic (Edward Eager)
    any Ronald Dahl book!!
    The Wizard of Oz books (the books are so much better than the movie!)
    audiobooks or books by Lamplighter Theater! (He recommends Sir Malcolm and the lost Prince)
    the Miss Piggle Wiggle books
    and Pipi Longstocking books too.

And thanks for the tip on the Beast of Olympus books. He loved the looks of these for his free reading!

Save
    Save

Comment

We are really into audiobooks so I am recommending all the ones that are really good (they tend to lend themselves to being experienced out loud), that both me and the kids liked and that are not Harry Potter lol but are quite heavy on the fantasy, honestly we liked the how to train your dragon book 1 but we have the version read by David Tennant and he's awesome.

We liked both sets of Percy Jackson books and The Kane Chronicles first Magnus Chase one and the Trials Of Apollo all by Rick Riordan.
      Escape from Mr Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein was good I have the second one but I haven't read it yet.
      Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.
      39 Clues series were good but they are all by different authors.
      Cragbridge Hall by Chad Morris (Book 1 and 2 are good, I haven't gotten around to book 3)
      Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
      Magyk by Angie Sage
      The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy
      Stig Of The Dump by Clive King
      Flour Babies by Anne Fine
      The Borrowers series by Mary Norton
      Winnie The Witch by Laura Owens (there are quite a few but some of them are republished under new names)
      Mr Majeika series by Humphrey Carpenter
      The Tree Of Seasons by Stephen Gately

Physical books I have borrowed from the library recently that were good (children's books are easier to read when you have little people who want your attention lol)
      The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop by Kate Saunders
      The Magic Potions Shop by Abie Longstaff

I'm not sure if these are good books or just good audio performances but
      Five Children and It by E Nesbitt
      Charlotte's Web by E.B White
      The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis
      Peter Pan by J.M Barrie
      The Secret Garden and The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
      Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Ones the kids have used as read a loud books at school
      Almost all the Roald Dahl books Matilda, BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, George's Marvellous Medicine and Fantastic Mr Fox seem to be the school's favourites. Quite a few of the David Walliams books, Logan's class did the Demon Dentist, but personally, I liked Gangsta Granny and The Boy In The Dress better and when they go back on Monday they are starting the Iron Man by Ted Hughes.

Ones still on my list to try
      The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Dragon's At Crumbling Castle both by Terry Pratchett.
      Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K Rowling

Pretty sure I will have some other suggestions tomorrow.

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that's quite a list! Thanks so much for sharing all these great ideas!!

Mine were not at all keen on the how to train your dragon books either - such a shame!

my older two loved the David Williams books at that age, although I was not a fan.
      Harry Potter was a big hit, as were many of Micheal Morpurgo books (some are a little depressing though!).
      one of mine enjoyed "the ranger's apprentice" series (don't remember the author, but book one is "the ruins of Gorlan").

Believe it or not, my son seems to prefer non fiction quite often. He likes the Guinness book of records, and books about wind, water and wildlife. I know it is not a story, but it might make for an occasional change of pace if you fancy it. His most fav book is "The Christmas Carrot" by Allen Plenderleith, also a short story.

And finally, have you seen any Geronimo Stilton books over there? he is a mouse, and they are a cross between book and cartoon - hugely popular over here for children to read to themselves. The horrible histories series is similar.
      Last edited by corrin; 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, we have 'met' Geronimo Stilton, and we (more appropriately, the royal 'we') are over him after reading probably two dozen of the books across the different GS series. I think the Thea Stilton ones are the best (more emphasis on actual problem solving and figuring out the clues rather than bumbling into the right answer).

My son also prefers non-fiction....animal books (preferably sharks, dragons and dinosaurs at the moment), vehicles, aircraft, toilets (yes, we've gotten a book from the library about how toilets work), and anything with an exploded diagram.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I'm not familiar with any of those series, but I'll check them out!
    Working...
    X