What comes first?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What comes first?

Is it the photos, or the story or the kit?
    I am often story driven, or have cute photos and want to play with them and say what happened. The event, where, who, why etc.
    But occasionally I create just to play with shiny new product. This latest template from JenC and Collection by Calita's stuff had me complete the entire layout, justadding layers and fun goodies and only right at the end choosing photos. So different for me but so freeing and fun.

How about you? what comes first? What inspires you to create and what gets you motivated?

When I first started digi-scrapping, I was completely photo driven, meaning I'd search for a kit that fit my photos. But my method evolved to include kit driven layouts (to meet CT requirements). When I scrap for myself these days, some of my layouts are to use a paper or color palette I love, others a photo or even that I want to capture, and sometimes it's just a word art or even a single elements that drives, or at least inspires a layout too. But all are motivated by the idea of capturing and recording a moment or a memory.

Comment

I almost always make my layout and choose a photo at the end. I think I've chosen a photo first about 3 times in 10 years!

Comment

Half and half. Sometimes, for CT requirements, I choose photos based on the kit. But when I'm working on a specific album - like my wedding or my honeymoon - they I choose the pictures first and then find a kit to work well with those photos.

Comment

I'm about 50/50 too. Kits for CT work- but I can usually have a photo(s) in mind to 'match.' When I'm scrapping for challenges or something not CT related, I usually start with photos!

Comment

These days, I'm at 100% kit

Comment

Probably about half and half for me. I snap lots of photos and often decide to scrap those photos and find a kit to match, but also often see a kit and know it will be great for these photos. For me there is always a story (even if it is a short story!), for most of my pages that is the reason to scrap! Although occasionally I make a page to complete a challenge. So, maybe I am 100% story, but just had to talk out loud to get to that conclusion!

Comment

For me it is 100% photos. For CT work I'll look at the kit and decide photos then work around the photos with the kit. I couldn't imagine adding photos last ;-)
                ]e

Comment

As I only scrap for my CT (besides my project life) I always look for photos who fits with the kit. if there are wordarts in a kit , I look first on the wordarts and search a photo. But I always started with a photo on a paper.
                  --- ASTRID ---

Comment

lately it is the Kit. i have many stories to tell i just need to find the time.

Comment

Kit first. I'm a sucker for something that catches my eye in the store ... and then is suddenly becomes an "OMG, I must have that!" kit ... and from there, I'll find photos - or take some news one to suit! LOL

Comment

I don't actually scrap much any more, but for me it was pretty much always the kit. If I saw something I liked, I had to have it and the reason I usually had to have it was story driven. Photos are my weakness, so they always came last. And because they are a weakness, I usually do one or two photo layouts.
                        Save

Comment

• Stefanie
                          Stefanie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am surprised, you make The BEST multi-photo templates, like ever! I would love to see more story driven layouts, I find then so inspirational.

• Lorie
                          Lorie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is the best part of being a designer. I can look outside my own needs and simply create whatever I want to. It is extremely freeing to me and why I actually enjoy designing more than scrapping.

I think I'm about 50/50. sometimes I start with pictures or I start with a CT requirement.

Comment

fifty fifty for me. it's not always photo first... When I see a beautiful kit, I can find lot of picture that work with that theme. Thousands of photos in my hardisk hehe
                          Calista's Stuff

Comment

I would say 50/50 for me as well.

If I have specific photos, stories or projects I want to get finished I will make sure I have a kit fit for it or make sure the CT kit fits the photos I'm currently using.

On the other hand if for a CT assignment I have to have the kit (so cute!) then I will find photos to work to tell a story I hadn't gotten too yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X