purging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purging

thinking it might be time to purge some of my older kits. it's so hard ebcause i'm so disorganized! i don't even know where to start. ideas?
    --- CELESTE ---

I hate purging. Always feel like I might just need it after I have gotten rid of something.
    Absolutely no help.
    proudly creating for The Digital PressCo, Get it Scrapped, KimB, Monthly Chronicles, and LJS Designs.

Comment

I moved a lot of them (because I have the same "I'm sure I'll need it right after hitting "delete"" anxiety as Stefanie!) to my back up NAS/EHD under a "meh digi goodies" files. I already did a first move a long time ago and honestly I NEVER EVER went back to this file, but I'm comforted knowing it's there just in case. I added more after my EHD crash and my back up and I now only keep the products I can really imagine myself using. Sometimes I moved the whole designer's file, sometimes just a couple kits, but I tried working with a timer to help me decide quickly. It's much easier when the decision is about moving and not deleting!

Comment

I don't think I have purged my Digi Stash...ever.

Comment

I subscribe to what I think of as 'the box method' (which evolved because when I do this with things like clothes, a box is required): put those products you don't use or haven't used in ages or never used or are ambivalent about in a separate folder with a generic name (I like Chloe's 'meh digi goodies' quite a bit), and if after 6 months or a year you haven't looked in the folder, haven't wondered what was in the folder, haven't even thought about the folder, then the entire thing goes into the recycling/trash without double checking to make sure there's nothing 'worth keeping' (because if there was, you wouldn't have put it in that file in the first place). I find this process much easier with freebies than with things I actually paid for, but I have gotten rid of things I know that I'll never, ever use.

I also decided, with some trepidation, to get rid of most of my old .psd files. Because, really, I'm not going to go back and edit that layout from 2011.

Comment

I like the waiting 6 months rule too. I have purged a few times since I started digiscrapping, mostly because of style changes and of course, all that freebie hoarding I did that I never used a single bit of them. ROFL. I'm so much more picky now even with freebies. I also don't save old layouts either like caliten said, I'm not going back to edit them.

Comment

i'm going to try this - in the box method. in the past i pulled the trigger and now i am regretting some of it.
              --- CELESTE ---

Comment

• Kiana
                Kiana commented
                Editing a comment
                hope it works for you!!!

I did a search for various US spellings of wordart I am never going to use on my page, like color, favorite etc and deleted them. I have also done general searches for elements I don't like and I try and set a timer for 15 minutes a day (although I don't always manage it) to go through and delete stuff. In theory, I organise in folders by designer, but I also have a file for monthly challenge stuff which has been pretty neglected in the last year, a huge file called organised and downloads files that are overflowing. Hugs Crystal x

Comment

I did a major back up a couple of weeks ago ... now I have my current CT designers on the internal harddrive, but all of their retired kits, freebies I've made in the past, and non CT designers live only on two backup drives (which are larger than the internal drive ... which isn't too shabby at 3terabytes) I try to stay organized but ... it occasionally sneaks past me and then I have marathon back up sessions. I use a program called ViceVersa Pro which allows me to compare my internal drive to my external drive and shows me how they are different... it makes updating the back up a little easier! Just google it by name if you are interested.

Comment

I move kits off my hard drive to an EHD twice a year. Of course the EHD is right on my same desk so if I do need them, I can access them quickly. I take a screen shot so I can see which kits I have. And yes, I have needed something almost as soon as I moved it over!
                  Save
                  Save

Comment

I have to say in my more than 8 years scrapping time , with partially 20 CT´´s I never made a big purge and I have only one EHD (300 GB) who was never full and because of this I started to save my files on my computer. I only delete from time to time christmas and easter stuff, after a few years when it comes in my mind I delete those desginers who resigned.
                    --- ASTRID ---

Comment

still haven't done this. i really need to think about it. the problem is it's hard to even know what i have since i'm disorganized too.
                      --- CELESTE ---

Comment

Working...
                      X