Shadows - Do you mix directions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows - Do you mix directions?

Now that I'm trying to do a few layouts with white space, I notice that I could easily mix shadow direction, but I didn't think this was the "thing" to do. What are your thoughts?
    Save
    Save

I do occasionally. I love the 120 degree angle, but sometimes when I have papers at the bottom of the layout I make their shadows go up as you don;t get the feel of the layers otherwise. SO I may have shadows going up and down, but always to the right - if that makes sense? In real life the darkest shadow will be where the light is coming from, but paper layers will still have a shadow separating the layers.

Comment

Same as Stefanie, but that's the only occasion really, otherwise it gives a "weird" feel, like something isn't just right, you know?

On a related note, doesn't it drive you bonkers when designers have mixed light sources? It doesn't happen with our seasoned designers here at TDP, but with newbies or when they create a collab and don't decide on one light direction... Ugh, my OCD goes wild on that kind of stuff! LOL

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally. I dislike when you can't use an element, like a string, rotated the way you want because the lighting embedded in it is totally wrong!

• Barbara Unzen
        Barbara Unzen commented
        Editing a comment
        That totally drives me nuts too. I thought it was just me.
        I always hope there'e an unshadowed version as well and I'll try to use that.

• chloe
        chloe commented
        Editing a comment
        Or flairs... Ugh!

I mix shadows a lot. Sometimes if you have a paper that's only sticking out on the 45 side it looks too flat, so I'll go with the 45 angle. Or flowers sticking out at the top of a cluster, they need some lift at the top.

My go to is 120 for most things, but I often tweak.

Comment

I do 50 degrees (from the northeast on a compass face) for all my pages. No exceptions.

Comment

• Kiana
          Kiana commented
          Editing a comment
          never thought of 50. Gonna test this one out!!! :D

I'm like Stephanie. I try to keep the shadows going the same direction. I've been using almost exclusively 45 degrees. BUT, when an element is on an edge where I won't see the shadow I'll change the direction a bit just so it doesn't look flat.

Comment

my ocd will NOT let me mix! Occasionally if I have a paper along the bottom, I'll warp it a bit- but I'm a 45*-er too!

Comment

It's so neat to hear everyone's thoughts! My biggest confusion comes when things hang off the side!!
            Save
            Save

Comment

Mixing shadows? All the time!! I like to have elements go off the page, or have papers along the bottom edge, for example. I will mix up shadowing most things at either 120 or 45 degrees throughout a layout, but with those angles, if I have papers at the bottom, they end up with no shadow at all ... so I'll try moving things around so I get a hint of one. I do the same thing when I'm clustering elements as some of the items on the bottom seem flat to me without a hint of something.

Comment

• Kiana
                Kiana commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes exactly!!!!!! :D

I tend to stick with one direction, but sometimes I swop it for an element that is meant to be stitched down, or pinned down on the side where the shadow would be - that kind of thing. And also like Stefanie and others have said, if there are papers at the bottom of the page or something. I just work it out by sight, but most things are 120 degrees!

Comment

45 degrees here and i will on the edge that doesn't get shadow just a smidge. also sometimes i don't worry about pre-shadowed stuff i just stick it on.
                --- CELESTE ---

Comment

Working...
                X