White Space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Space

Let's talk about white space. Hate it? Love it? I'll be honest, I'm struggle with it! How do you make it work for you? Can you give me some hints? Pretty please with icing on top
    Save
    Save

LOVE it! It's one of those things that we either embrace with vigor or avoid at all costs though, isn't it?

White space doesn't have to come from a plain ol' white background paper either, just something with reduced 'noise'. Your viewer's eye shouldn't have to struggle with where to look initially. And effective application of white space doesn't mean that your layout has to be minimalistic, just that there's a good balance of 'nothing' (or calmness) and 'something' (or energy/color/vigor within your primary cluster/photo stack).

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      that is a good definition!

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Great definition Carrie. I need to think of it this way so it's not so overwhelming!!

Love white space. I don't really have any tips myself on how to do them well. But I recently was talking with another scrapper and she gave me HER tip, so I'll pass it on...

She said, when she was first learning white space LO she would make a LO like normal and then her "photo cluster" area, she would just reduce the size until it was in a corner or center of her page that left more white space. Not sure if it would work for you.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm actually trying this on my layout tonight Kiana. Thanks!!

• Kiana
      Kiana commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, hope it works mocamom

I love it too! But I have a sister who looks at white space pages I have made says she can't understand why I don't fill the page (with a bigger picture!) - it seems a waste to her, in the niecest possible way! I don't take it personally, I think she just like nice, full and busy pages, while I like them plainer for the most part.

I tend to make elements small when I am making a white space page, but I'm not sure what other tips I have. I like to layers papers, so you can see little tempting bits of colour or pattern under the photo or journaling etc, which also adds dimension to a page if you like that!

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      My husband is just like your sister. He complains that he can't see the pictures when they're 'too small' (less than ~4x6). And 'you could've used all that extra space to make the picture bigger!'. Grrrrrr.

I shrink elements too. Especially flowers, buttons, brads and staples. Daisy-T is my friend.
      Last edited by caliten; 01-16-2017, 10:17 AM.

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      This is SO my husband!! He thinks more pictures are the best way to scrap, and if there aren't a ton, they should at least be big!!

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      My sister tells me the same thing! LOL

I think the most important thing on white space pages are the photo. It has to be a great shot or a great editing. I think it hasn´t the same effect with a "normal" photo, without any great editing. It doesn´t have to be a big technical editing, just let the color pop
    --- ASTRID ---

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Then I may be in trouble as my photography is "momtographer" quality

I love white space. but I don't know the real difference between white space and C&S (clean and simple). for me it's quite the same and the most important is to focus on the picture(s).

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't know it was called that either! Or the difference if it's two different things

I love white space layouts! I think my tendency to lean towards one-photo pages helps here. Think focused, tightly clustered elements and paper stacking with just pieces peeking out (like Corrin mentioned). For me, the difference between white space and C&S is the latter has minimal elements, maybe some doodles and a few scattered things ... but not much - a few words of journaling, but the photo is definitely the focus. White space, to me, is much more about layering and clustering. While I like things centralized for white space, I also love taking things in a little different direction and placing things to one side or in a corner. Here's an example:

Comment

I love it! I have such a hard time NOT scrapping with a ton of white space.

I don't think I have any tips that are different from the tips that have already been mentioned.

My Gallery

Comment

Working...
      X