Is this a Scrapbook 'Sin'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Scrapbook 'Sin'?

I switched to digital scrapbooking over 4 years ago and I think it was one of the best decisions I've made. But, my traditional albums take up 10 cubes from the IKEA Expedit shelving collection!! It literally drives me bonkers.

After seeing a former traditional scrapper turned digi scrapper do this it is making me contemplate doing it too. She took all her traditional layouts, scanned them and put them into photo books. She then threw the traditional layouts away!! She said it was liberating!

So what do you think? If I did this would it be consider a scrapbooking 'sin'?

I don't think anything is a scrapbooking sin. We're all different and have different needs. I'm one for as minimal amount of clutter as possible, so I'd probably go the route of the woman you know. But others might have a more sentimental value to those old albums. I love that digi offers us the option to do what WE feel is best for us.

Comment

Well, scanning would be quicker than recreating them all digitally ... just sayin'

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      ack, oh yes, imagine the hours it took to paper scrap, and then the hours to re-create digitally, finding similar kits!

I don't see anything wrong in doing that. For me personally, having paid for supplies and albums, I don't think I would pay more money to put them into digi books but that's just my personal choice. There's no right or wrong, just whatever you prefer to do. I get a kick out of looking at some of my old albums and wouldn't replace them. I'll never go back from digi but I do have fun seeing what I used to do.

Comment

• Sabrina
      Sabrina commented
      Editing a comment
      I didnt think about how I would have to spend more money to get them in albums lol. Opps!! Plus, the time I would have to invest into scanning them all. And your right Rae I have so much seeing how I use to scrap! Thank you for your input! <3

not a sin but i couldn't do it! i just rec'd my persnickety prints order and was thinking 12x12 is really big...should i switch to 8x8??

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I just had the same thought, switching from 12x12&quot; to 8x8&quot;, but EVERYTHING I have (albums, spare albums, an extensive stockpile of page protectors and pocket pages) is geared toward 12x12&quot;. I found 8x8&quot; really challenging as a traditional scrapper, but oddly I enjoyed 9x9&quot;. Sigh. I have found though with 12x12&quot; that making the font size smaller (I usually use 10 pt) for my journaling made it feel less like I was yelling at my audience.

• Sabrina
      Sabrina commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I prefer 8x8 when I print layouts. 12x12 is gigantic! And on Shutterfly if I print a bound book I also like to do 8x8 and 10x10 is fun as well.

• mariewilcox
      mariewilcox commented
      Editing a comment
      So glad that I'm not the only one who thinks digital 12x12 is HUGE!!! LOL - I do 8x8 photo books and LOVE the size.

that is a lot of space! I don't know if I would do them all, but I imagine there would be a bunch I could happily scan and turn into books (maybe it depends if you scrapped chronologically, and there might be a number of pages in a month/year that just work better as paper - but you could always scan them into a digi book, and keep a few of the pages you love the most! I bet that would take way less space than keeping ALL the pages!).

Comment

I don't think I would scan them either. My son is attached to the old albums and enjoys going through them. In the past I have taken apart a few traditional layouts and redid them digitally and he was not happy, He likes the digital albums just fine, but he also wants to traditional ones left alone. Since I made them for him, I leave them alone.
      Save

Comment

I'm with some of the gals that I just couldn't do it! While my albums take up less space than yours- along our bookshelf next to the fireplace- my kiddos love looking at them & I'm too attached to toss them!

Comment

Less space is definitely better. But then I have never paper scrapped :-)

Comment

I LOVE the look of the printed books rather than the larger albums but not sure I would invest more time and money into them?bcgal00 made some great points.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. I think for now I'm going to move them into the closet and just pick out one or two for us to look at a time. That way I can have more room for play items and craft projects with the kids.

I do enjoy looking back on the albums and I don't think I could truly throw them away. I put a lot of time, effort, and, most of all, love into them. I truly can't see myself going through with putting them in the garbage.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

Comment

I have scanned or photographed old paper albums and journals just to have a digital backup in case of fire, but I wouldn't throw away the originals! But that's just me. I see no sin here. Only personal preference.

My Website

Comment

I love my paper albums, but they do take up a fair number of shelves.
                  I have the scanner and might even get around to scanning them (one day0 have no thought of getting rid of the originals though.

Comment

I still have all my paper albums but sadly many of the layouts are falling apart. The adhesive is "gone" and things are floating all over the place under the page protectors . This really irks me since I used "top of the line" adhesive. So I have scanned some of the photos and recreated them digitally but not many. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them at this point.

Comment

• Sabrina
                      Sabrina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes that has been happening to me as well! It is so disappointing when I also used the best adhesive or what I was told was the best adhesive. Definitely not happy about that.

I've never done paper-scrapping but if I had put so much time & effort in those albums.......I don't think I would be able to get rid of them. Scanning is always a good idea in case something happens to the albums......you would still have a copy but bin the albums.......noooooo !!

Comment

Working...
                    X