NSD CHALLENGE | Mirror Image

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSD CHALLENGE | Mirror Image

I hope that you've been enjoying all the NSD games and challenges this weekend, as well as the shopping! I'm here with a new challenge for you: the Mirror Image challenge.

The basic concept behind this challenge is fairly simple: the left and right, or top and bottom halves of your layout or project must be mirror images of one another. Seems easy, right? In practice though, this simple concept can be tough to implement according to the letter of the law though, so I'll cut you a little bit of slack. Instead of doing a true mirror image, your layout can apply the principle of bilateral symmetry as outlined below. This means that visually and aesthetically your halves can be a near-mirror instead of a perfect one.

So, the places where you have some wiggle room: background paper, word arts, photos, journaling, and title.
    • A solid paper or one with a symmetric pattern meets the criteria for your background paper, but a regularly-patterned-though-not-perfectly-symmetric background paper is also okay.
    • Any papers you clip to a shape or mat don't have to be perfectly symmetric.
    • As long as you've got the same visual effect - shape & size - in the mirror position for your word arts, photos, pocket cards, journaling space and title on either half you're good.
    • If your title is centered on and parallel to your dividing line, you're good despite the letters not being mirrored on either side.
    • If your title is not centered on your dividing line, then you'll need to make sure it has a mirror (can be a different word) on the opposite half.
    Everything else though - stitches, flowers, paper blocks, frames, etc. should be a perfect mirror on either side. Please ask questions if you have them!

I started my page with a template, the most symmetric one in Anita's Make It Count | April template pack. I removed all the non-mirrored pieces, and used the PS snap-to-center function to center the remaining paper and journaling bits on a line drawn horizontally across the middle of my page. I've got examples of all those wiggle-room rules above on my page: non-symmetric papers clipped to a shape (the dark blue pattern paper), mirrored visual effect (journaling, photos, photo frames), title centered vertically (and horizontally - but that's just my OCD) along the dividing line, and symmetric (but not mirrored) subtitles.

And, one last check on the rules:
    1. Your layout must use 100% TDP product.
    2. Your page must be a left-right, or top-bottom mirror image with the few caveats listed above.
    3. You must post your layout in the TDP gallery and then start a post in this thread and link up the image (and link it to the gallery post).
    4. Your layout must be posted in this thread no later than 11:59pm PT on Wed 5/9 in order to be eligible to win one of the CHOOSE YOUR OWN PRIZE awards (don't forget to visit that thread and put your prize choices in rank order!). Winners will be announced in the TDP newsletter on Friday 5/11.
    Last edited by caliten; 05-06-2018, 09:33 AM.

I had fun with this. Didn't do any journaling on it, but I went month by month and picked 1 of my favorite pics per month of his first year.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea Kim, and what a cutie! Thanks for playing along.

Here's mine!

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa! Amazing, Jenn!!!

Okay Carrie! I will confess that I cheated and used a template from Be Inspired N.4 by Dunia Designs in order to help me! I also tried to balance the check mark with the flower too! Here's hoping it works for you It was a great challenge and made my brain think!

Save
    Save

Comment

Took me a while to wrap my brain around this one... I started several times and trashed them all.... lol. I then stepped away and washed some windows (I know...ugh!! But I finally got them all done). Came back and it all seemed to click. I truly enjoyed the process, so thanks for this challenging challenge. Here's what I came up with.

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        This is excellent! It took me a couple of tries too, so I know the feeling.

Hope this is okay. Here's mine:

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        It is perfect! Thanks for playing along!

My Mirror Scrap

Comment

Here's mine. I liked the way this one came out.

http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gal...hello3&cat=519

Comment

Thank you all for participating in this challenge! It's officially closed now, but oh did we ever have a good time, eh?

Comment

Working...
          X