NSD CHALLENGE | SLOW SCRAP INSTRUCTIONS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSD CHALLENGE | SLOW SCRAP INSTRUCTIONS

Hi Everyone – and Happy [Inter]National Scrapbooking Day! A day when all chores just get set aside, family must fend for themselves, and our butts get numb from sitting on a chair in front of the computer from sun up to sun down. It’s also Cinco De Mayo today – happy coincidence or what?!

So here we are for our Slow Scrap challenge. With so many things going on around digi-land today (well, for the past couple of days), we decided to combine some chatting with scrapping, but give you plenty of time to complete a layout … a full 24 hours. In the next post, I’ll give you the supply list for your page, and then the instructions. Once you’re done, post your layout in the gallery, and come back to this thread and links us up – I’d love to see how your pages come out compared to mine! I’ll post my page at the end of the challenge, tomorrow afternoon. If your page doesn’t look like mine, don’t panic! Instructions are always open to interpretation, and everyone’s scrapping style is different. I've also been known to get my left and right mixed up.

Everyone who completes a layout for this challenge, posts it in the gallery and links us up in this thread will be eligible for one of the “Choose Your Own” prizes. If you haven’t see what these are, go take a look! Your deadline to complete everything for this challenge is 2:00 pm Eastern time, tomorrow, May 6.

I’m over in our chat room and would love to just shoot the breeze and see how your weekend is going – or answer questions about our games and challenges. I’ll be chatting until 3:00 pm, so if you’ve arrived at this thread late, stop on by – we might still be there. There’s a link for the chat room in the menu bar at the top of the page. It might take a minute or two to connect you, so please be patient. Who knows … I *cough*might*cough have some additional prizes for people that stop by to talk

Quick Recap:
    1. Your layout must use 100% TDP product.
    2. Create your page using the instructions posted below.
    3. Post your layout in the TDP gallery (and link it to the image you post here in this thread).
    4. Your layout must be posted in this thread no later than 2:00 pm ET on Sunday, May 6 in order to be eligible to win one of the CHOOSE YOUR OWN PRIZE awards (don't forget to visit that thread and put your prize choices in rank order!). Winners will be announced in the TDP newsletter on Friday, May 11.

Okay, are we ready to get started? Supply list and instructions coming right up …

Supply List
    • One patterned paper (the bolder, the better - you won't use/see much of it)
    • One solid paper (you'll be journaling on this)
    • One stitch element - straight, zig zag, up to you - but needs to go the length of a page
    • One photo - square, approximately 3" in size
    • One photo frame - optional - but think flat, not fancy/dimensional
    • One circular tag element approximately 1.5" in size
    • Four flower elements - large (1), medium (1), small (2) -- or you can substitute something similar; with or without leaves (or adding them later) is up to you.
    • One long curly twine/string
    • One brush/stamp
    • Two small elements e.g., brads, hearts, buttons
    • Word art for title or alpha to create title

Comment

lol, I got up at 6am this morning so that I could get my chores done before this started!!! And sent all the boys off golfing!!!!

Comment

• Kat Hansen
        Kat Hansen commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL!

• corrin
        corrin commented
        Editing a comment
        ha, that is commitment kim!!

Instructions

Instructions
      1. Layer your papers with the pattern on the bottom, solid on top. Move the solid paper to the left half an inch, exposing the pattern underneath as a vertical strip down the right-hand side of your layout.
      2. Stitch along the right-hand edge of your solid paper, top to bottom on the page.
      3. Add your photo and frame (optional) in the upper right-hand corner of your page, about a half inch down from the top and just slightly to the left of the patterned paper (it shouldn't be touching or covering up the pattern). Rotate the photo ever-so-slightly clockwise, just to give a little visual interest. If you opted for no frame, then think about adding a stroke or outline to your picture to help it stand out.
      4. Add the circular tag element to the upper right-hand corner of the photo. The tag should sit on top of the photo, the solid paper, and the patterned one -- but it does not disappear off the edges of the layout (on my page, I have about a quarter inch clearance on the top and side of my layout).
      5. Now, this might seem a little out of step, but we're adding our title now (instead of at the end). Your title - keep it compact, one or two lines only - goes across the bottom of the photo, and when I say "compact," it shouldn't extend too far beyond the edges of your photo.
      6. Let's add some dimensional elements. I've used flowers, but something else that works with your page would be fine, too. The size, however, is important. We're going to 'frame' the top and right-hand side of your photo ... Start with your largest element. This goes on the right hand side and spills over the edge of the page. In fact, you might only see about half of the element (and the tag you put down earlier is underneath this element).
      7. Next, add one of your small flowers/elements at the top edge of the large one, right in the space where the large element and tag overlap - and yes, this little flower/element will also be only partially visible as it should spill off the edge of the page.
      8. Okay, that's the right side of the photo done. Now, let's focus on the top edge. Add your medium flower/element on the top edge of your photo - mine ended up being about the center and not really on the photo all that much (didn't want to hide the picture). Once again, a little of the circulate tag is hidden under this flower, and the flower also spills off the page (on the top edge of the layout).
      9. Add your last small flower/element to the left of the medium one, right towards the top of the page. Depending on its size, this element may only barely touch your photo.
      10. Almost done! Add your string or twine element - make it vertical, and following along the edge where the solid and patterned papers meet. Mine is layered under the large flower (on the right), but on top of the circular tag, and it extends about half way down the page.
      11. Add your brush to the solid paper layer in two places - first, under the bottom left corner of your photo, and secondly, at the bottom, right-hand edge of your layout.
      12. Add your small elements. One goes to the left of the bottom left corner of your photo (maybe just a little above the start of your title) -- I used a button here. The second element goes at the bottom of your page, sitting on top of the brush/stamp that you just put there.
      13. The only thing left is journaling. See that space between your title and the bottom of the page? That's where you will journal. Imagine a large vertical rectangle of text that is as wide as your photo and title; keep your journaling within these boundaries to help create a vertical feel to the design.

Comment

If I've translated my instructions correctly , your layout should all be focused on the right-hand side of the page ... and not even reaching the center. ** fingers crossed **

Most of all - have fun!!!

Comment

Getting ready to tackle this now. Sounds fun Kat. Sorry I had to leave the chat

Comment

ok here is mine! I used a circular flower cluster as my biggest flower element - hope that is ok!!

Comment

• Kat Hansen
              Kat Hansen commented
              Editing a comment
              Lovely page corrin ... and interpretation of the instructions to suit your own style is fine

Hey everyone - I have GREAT NEWS!!! The "powers that be" here at The Digital Press have given me two $5.00 gift certificates to the store to give out as prizes for people who showed up to the chat earlier today

To be fair, I put everyone's name into a random list generator (at random.org) ... and here's how it came out --

Congratulations Donna and Jan!! Keep an eye on your TDP private messages in the next couple of days!

Thank you everyone who stopped by to chat. I mean, where else can you talk to complete (or almost-complete) strangers about Disney, cherry coke, Cinco De Mayo, scrapping hook-ups, geography, and time zones -- and all in an hour?! Can't wait to see what everyone's pages look like!

Comment

So cool. Congrats Donna and Jan.
              Here is my page.

http://forums.thedigitalpress.co/gal...vorite&cat=519

Comment

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                Love your page Tiffany - and it was great catching up! So ... #4 on your list ... that would be one of my favorite things, too.

Sorry I couldn't make the chat Kat, but this is a FABULOUS slow scrap. I love the fact that you listed the ingredients first. That really helped me! Here's mine using Happy Together by Juno Designs.

Save
              Save

Comment

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                Robin, what a great page - and I love your journaling.

Woo-hoo... thanks for the GC (random.org usually hates me...lol). The chat was fun...though I did leave hungry and longing to travel. Here's my page... it's cool to see how others have interpreted the instructions.

Comment

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                Donna - you're welcome! And yes, I now have a yearning to make some travel plans, too ... but food-wise, I think I'll pass on the cherry Coke, and the bullet coffee and tea Now, I will say, my tacos last night were pretty amazing

Thanks for the chat. Here's mine:

Comment

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                Love the single-word journaling - what a great idea!

I love how everyone's came out much more than mine, but I will continue to work on the process and it will only get better. lol

Comment

• corrin
                corrin commented
                Editing a comment
                It sounds like a wonderful opportunity/experience, and I love the music paper!

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                And lookie there - a picture posted in the forums!! So glad Hillary was able to help you figure all that out!

Here is my take! Thank you for the inspiration!

Comment

• corrin
                corrin commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooh, that is so pretty!

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                Nini, love all the pinks - and that flower looks stunning ... is it in your garden (and if so, I'm mega-jealous!!)

• ninigoesdigi
                ninigoesdigi commented
                Editing a comment
                corrin & Kat Hansen thank you
                Kat, no this is a shot stolen from someone else's garden te he he. I cannot grow anything. I barely was able to keep some parsley and basil alive last year. That's why by the way I asked the house maker to use all the land to make our house, wood-deck and parking area lol lol I sometime wonder if I am really my parent's child. They have both a green thumb.

Comment

• Kat Hansen
                Kat Hansen commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for playing along, Stefanie - and wow, what a work ethic your daughter has!
            Working...
            X