NSD GAME | Becoming Our Mothers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSD GAME | Becoming Our Mothers

Happy Mother's Day! Today we celebrate the Moms!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and getting lots of time to scrap and document their memories. And today I hope you get lots of pampering and appreciation.

This game is pretty simple and involves thinking about our mothers. Is there something you do that you swore you would never do because it was exactly what your Mom did? And heavens above now YOU do it!!

For me this is being a mad driver.
    Goodness help those people on the road- I'm a mad little driver and my Mom is the SAME way. Thank goodness I'm not as bad as my Mom (maybe that comes with age lol)

Now its your turn to tell me what YOU do that you swore you would never do because YOUR Mom does it! Come on fess up!!

Anyone who participates in this game throughout our week-long NSD celebration (May 1-9) will be entered to win a $5 coupon to LJS Designs shop!

I bow my head in shame, I am so guilty of this.
    I ask them to do something straight away, regardless if they have just gotten home or just sat down. I want them to take that dirty mug to the sink, let the cats in or out, feed the cats, get in the washing etc etc. I hated that as a child.

Comment

My mom has a habit of making life seem like it is always out of control. Her favorite phrase seems to be "It's always something, isn't it." It drives me crazy that she can't just go with the flow and realize that not everything is chaotic all of the time. However, I have occasionally let those same words slip out of my mouth. Every time I say, "It's always something isn't it." I cringe but that icky feeling makes me remember to change my attitude and try to not be a drama queen.

Comment

• bunny
        bunny commented
        Editing a comment
        When I gripe, my mom always says, "Whatever you look for, that's what you'll find." It's sort of the opposite approach, but she only developed it in the past 10 years or so of my life.

My mom was notorious for going back and cleaning/straightening something after us as kids because it wasn't done "right" ie. the way she does it. I do that tooo.... *hangs head in shame* lol

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally this!

• Sabrina
        Sabrina commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. So much easier to just do it myself. Urrgh!

• Kiana
        Kiana commented
        Editing a comment
        AmieN1 & Sabrina it really is easier to do it myself, but I'm trying to give up the control freak. ROFL

oh dear, I am becoming my mother in so many way! I always thought my mum had a bit of a funny nose, and the other day I looked in the mirror, and thought "oh no, I have her nose!" - something I had never thought before!!

But the things that I catch myself saying, are things like "will you please do WHAT I ask, WHEN I ask you to do it!" - said with hands on hips and exasperated eyebrows - I remember it so well from my youth, not just the words, but the hands on hips and eyebrows too!

Comment

• Sabrina
        Sabrina commented
        Editing a comment
        oh no!! i think i've caught myself doing a mannerism of my mom;s before but it wasn't necessarily as positive one. lol. we just can't get away from these little quirks huh? they are ingrained i guess.

"Stop touching me!!!!!"

My mom always said that. I used to be so offended and hurt by it. Any time we wanted to be by her or hug her or whatever. The other day, Kennedy was just hanging on me in the kitchen and constantly patting me on the butt, and he just wouldn't stop. So I said it. "Stop touching me..." and I cringed. Ugh. But I do have to use the disclaimer that I don't do it when he just wants a hug or to be next to me or rest on me. His therapist recognized that between him and I there is no "personal bubble" most of the time. It was the non-stop patting of the butt. LOL.
      --- KIMBERLEE ---

Comment

i'm sure i have lots of traits coming from my mother. not always sure what they are but some i can spot.

1. i have a weird way of pronouncing words, when they are a little more complicated to say. even sometimes when i just think while i speak, i tend to lengthen the vowels until i don't know which word i just wanted to say. just like mom.
        2. i sometimes do crazy things, totally out of the blue, so crazy that 2 minutes afterwards i'm wondering, what i was thinking. my mom does the crazy part. don't know if she questions herself later :D
        3. my mom is very creative in lots of ways. i absolutely inherited that. sometimes i even have the same ways of putting her outfits together. she tends to do everything in one color with different tones. i really want to stay away from that but i often end up with a whole set of clothes in one color. *sigh*
        Loving it here <3

Comment

Children learn the most from what is modeled to them by their caretakers, for better or for worse, so that explains why we pick up our parents' habits & mannerisms, also for better or for worse.

My mother was always really antisocial when I was growing up, and I thought I'd be more socially active with friends after work, etc., but I've become just as much as an introverted hermit crab. (^__^) I think the difference is that I turned to the Internet, whereas my mom was antisocial both online and offline.

Comment

I swore I would let my kids' keep their rooms just as they wanted. LIE! LOL! I soooo am guilty of telling them what's not appropriate....messes, posters on the ceilings (because of the holes), shoving stuff under the bed instead of putting it away. My mom told me never to do these things and I did....now my kids do too!

Comment

My mom ironed everything.... I mean everything. We used to joke that she was a Chinese laundress in her former life. She was so rabid about ironing creases in our jeans that we ended up with white lines down those "amazing" Guess blues. I always swore I would not iron everything my kids wore... I mean really - would a few wrinkles hurt anything?

Yeah... fast forward 30 years and I iron my son's jeans and cotton T-Shirts (even if I JUST took them out of the dryer). Not to the extent where he has the white creases, but still, every time I do it and he just wants to get dressed and get on with his day I have to giggle.

Comment

When my mom was irritated with us kids- she would always grit her teeth & talk- that's how we knew shit was serious! JUST the other night- I did the SAME thing while telling my kids to BRUSH YOUR TEETH & GET IN BED!!! Which is also something I remember my mom always yelling at us about through her teeth! lol!

Comment

• Sabrina
                  Sabrina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn't it funny how we do things and it instantly reminds of us of our moms? I think I've done the grit my teeth just like my Mom before.

This has been a fun thread to read through. My mom was a chatterbox and could carry on a conversation with just about anyone. When I was a kid I was really shy and it used to embarrass me that my mom would chat away with just about anyone. We'd be sitting at a bus stop (she never learned to drive) and she would chat away with others while waiting, or we'd go to the bank/store/whatever and she would chat away with the staff. I would roll my eyes and be so impatient to move on and wish she would stop talking to everyone. Somewhere along the way, I became just like her LOL. I can chat away with just about anyone and often do. A realtor came by a few weeks ago and we chatted for over an hour. At the bank, the tellers all know me and we all chat away when I come in. So, I ended up being just like her, leaving behind that shy personality and becoming a chatterbox eventually.

Comment

I think there are probably many things - like doing things just so in the kitchen - how I make my food - since I learned from my mother. But the big thing that sticks out is when I drive - if I come to a quick stop - my arm still goes out to the passenger person. I thought it was so funny when my mom did that because when I got to ride in the front seat - seat belts were in all our cars, but I know they were not required when younger. So it's funny that I still do that too.

Comment

I always hated when my mom would make me come back and redo a job, dishes, vacuuming, bathroom etc because it wasn't up to her standards. I find myself doing this ALL THE TIME! Sometimes I am just mad and don't care but others it kills me a little and I just take care of it for them. Pushover, I know, and they aren't learning...

Comment

• Sabrina
                      Sabrina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh geez! I didnt think of this, but this is what I do and it comes from my Dad. He always said if you cant do it right the first time why bother? And yes I sometimes just do it myself especially with having my second. I clean her messes way more than I did with my son. So much easier to do it myself.

I am going to go with my step mom
                    She always has to be the one that gets up from a meal, clear off the table and do all the dishes,
                    drives me crazy cause she won't accept help. Now I do the same exact thing. ugh....

Comment

Working...
                    X