New PC Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Recommendations?

My computer seems slower and slower and it's so hard to scrap or load a website. It's about 6 years old. When looking for a new desktop PC what do you recommend? Only for scrapping, web surfing and work documents. TIA.

I've been looking at gaming laptops they are super fast and have amazing graphic cards! You need a good processor, the higher number core is best so 4 is better then 2 etc. Ram is important too, if the last numbers listed in ram are higher it can transfer info faster so the higher the number the better. I personally wont go under a T for my hard drive. Honestly the higher the numbers next to each item the faster the machine you will get. I won't go less then 4 core processor 16G ram and a T of hard drive. Hopefully I explained this well enough.

Comment

I'm no help with a desktop. I have a gaming laptop. I got it for the better graphics card mostly, and have a 24" monitor attached to it. I use it more like a desktop most of the time, but can take it with me if I need to. Mine has 16GB RAM, a 1TB HD, and a 256GB SSD. Like Ella said, I'd recommend as much RAM as you can get and if it's possible, the solid state drive is totally worth it.

Comment

I'm afraid I might be in the market for a new PC as well - I've been getting the "blue screen" on mine - thankfully, not the screen of death, but there must be something wrong somewhere because it's been getting slower and slower as well (calling the computer tutor in our area tomorrow to see if it's fixable). Good luck in your decision Jennifer - I'll be following this thread!

Comment

I always buy the best one I can afford. Technology changes so fast, buying the highest speed/capacity hardware now will just help the system grow with your needs and last longer. Also, don't buy a cheap-o, the $299 deals at best buy or whatever. those systems have lower quality parts and technical specs and you get what you pay for with PCs because of the competition in the market. One of the reason so many people rave about Macs is that there is no cheap Mac! PC makers really hurt their own reputations by making low end systems to compete with each other on cost and I really wish they would stop.

We always purchase refurbished systems to save on cost. they come with the same warranties as new and you get more for your money!

Right now it looks like the processors out there on non-gaming systems are the Intel Core i-7s, but if cost matters the i-5 is probably fine. HD space hardly matters anymore with so many cloud storage options. If you don't buy refurb you should try to get a system that runs $800-$1200. this will get you into the i-5, i-7 range with good specifications

And now in full disclosure, I work at Dell and I've been buying XPS desktops since the product line came out. I run dual monitors, Photoshop, LR, and Netflix all at once. I usually get about 4 years out of each desktop before I notice any degradation in performance. Also, if you haven't had Windows 10 before...don't be afraid. I love it! It is so much more stable than all the other Windows OS. I only re-boot my system once every few weeks at this point and I use it almost every day for scrapping!

Comment

• gwany1999
            gwany1999 commented
            Editing a comment
            You've bought refurb and had no issues? I'm always leary about that.

• g8rbeckie
            g8rbeckie commented
            Editing a comment
            gwany1999 yes, we buy refurbished 100% of the time. They have the same warranty so if you did have any issues it would be covered. you save several hundred dollars over new. Systems end up going to refurbished for many reasons - undeliverable packages to customers, customers who cancel their orders, etc. The key is to watch the inventory for a week or so to get used to what you see show up and what the prices are running for what you want. and occasionally some hidden gem with some extra fancy config will show up and you get it at a steal

I did the gaming laptop route also, but mine has a 4k monitor, and is complete pain in the butt! Everything is super tiny on the screen and when I adjust it up there are things that come up, like export for web size there are portion of that box I can't get to if my UI is set up to be easily readable. Something to keep in mind when you're shopping.
          Sandy AKA SandyPie

Comment

My computer has been a little slow and I'm having issued with PSE. I thought if I upgraded it would stop, but no. But I'm starting to think it may be the EHD going. That's where I keep all of the digiscrapping files. Lately, I noticed that some files are bad that were fine last month. For instance, I started working on the DSParade challenge early this month. But PSE froze up on me so I had to force quit the program losing my work. Yesterday, I went to start over and when I clicked on the DSP files, I got corrupted looking stuff instead. I had to re download stuff.

Comment

• gwany1999
              gwany1999 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm starting to wonder if it's my EHD as well. I run all my scrap stuff off it...I am trying to hold out as long as I can.

you know, I'm having an issue with Photoshop CC. when I try to save over a previously saved version of a file it gives me an error that the file is locked or in use. I'm about to go google it on the adobe forums to see what's going on. I keep having to "save as" to save as a new version of the file.

Comment

• Jazz2000
              Jazz2000 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I was doing. Saving my layout in 2 separate folders in case one gets ruined.
          Working...
          X