Anyone taking a vacation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone taking a vacation?

Okay, February is here. Statistically this is the hardest month for me. The weather is awful, school is tiresome and unchanging, activities are starting to get to me, and it's just NOT SPRING yet. So, I have decided to live vicariously through others and start thinking about vacations. Are you taking one this year? If so, where are you going and what are you looking forward to the most?

We will be going to Hawaii in May. We decided to take a cruise around the islands so we can see them all, rather than staying in one location. I honestly can't see us ever going back, so we thought we'd pack as much in as we can in this one trip.

What are y'all doing this year? Vacation? Staycation? Take my mind off the February doldrums please
    Save
    Save

I lived in Hawaii for four years, and in the decade since we left we've only been back once. There are so many places to travel in this world .... why keep going back to the same place?

We aren't taking a "big" vacation this year because my in-laws are moving out (to about 20 minutes away, so close, but not too close) this spring, and our summer will be spent "helping them get settled in". (this was not my decision) Sigh.

We have an Air B&B reserved and are doing some mid-week skiing at Breckenridge later this month (which probably doesn't excite you much if you're not really into snow), and I'm forcing the family vacation issue and planning a trip to Disney World and central Florida in the fall. We also do a quick getaway to Glenwood Springs before the kids go back to school in after summer break .... a day spent just soaking in the hot springs. Aaaaaah.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      What was your very favorite thing to see in HI Carrie? Like you, we don't really go back a second time for anything unless it's to visit family You have some lovely plans ahead of you even without the "big" vacation!

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      There were lots of really cool things to see and do in Hawaii, Robin ( mocamom ). On Kauai, sitting on the beach at Barking Sands and watching the spinner dolphins frolic in the water, hiking the Na Pali Coast (take tons and tons of bug spray). On Oahu, the Arizona Memorial, hiking to Kaena Point, hiking to Makapuu Lighthouse (and seeing whales!), scuba diving on the wrecks (and hearing the whales singing to one another). On Maui, going to the top of Haleakala, driving the rolling road out to the little winery on the west face Haleakala, and diving the outer rim of Molokini Crater (skip the drive to Hana .... the stress of that road isn't worth what's at the end, IMHO). On the Big Island, bouldering across the old lava fields to see the flowing lava (though I have a feeling that this experience would be somewhat different now given the recent eruption) at Volcanoes National Park, and also volunteering at and watching the Kona Ironman competition. My very favorite thing as a tourist (when I visited as a kid) was snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. In the four years I lived on Oahu as an adult, we didn't even try to do this once (too crowded), and when we tried to do it when we went back a few years ago, the parking lot was packed by like 10 am so we just went up the road to Bellows and had the beach almost to ourselves.

I hate having plans made! even for exciting things like vacations. For some reason commitments like this loom over me and stress me out, lol. I never know if it will be a good time or a bad time to be away from work, I stress about how to save money (even though we budget out the trip before we go), etc. We hosted a foreign exchange student from Denmark last school year, and the plan was for us to make a trip to Denmark to visit her and see parts of Europe this summer! That will be the first trip out of the country for the rest of my family (hubby and kids) so we need to get passports!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      ohhh the hassle of getting passports!! I swear I hate that more than anything because it's so hard to get my husband and I in the same place at the same time!! But Denmark???? Ohhh it's totally worth it for seeing Denmark!!!!

We have a few trips planned. We are taking a quick trip to Washington in April so I can see my man Michael Buble in concert.
    We will spend spring break in March in St. George Utah
    We are attending 2 family reunions - one in Island Park, Idaho in June and one at Bear Lake in July.
    In August the Hubs and I are taking a trip to Victoria Canada for our 30th anniversary (we had been thinking Ireland, but couldn't make that work but this will be fun and we'll look at Ireland another year)
    That is what is on the books so far but there might be more.....

Comment

• tiffany scraps
      tiffany scraps commented
      Editing a comment
      mocamom I love Michael Buble. I have purchased every album he has recorded. He is just dreamy. My husband is totally ok with my love affair LOL. I always call Michael my celebrity husband. It's completely innocent since we are both happily married. I am so excited for April to get here.

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Where in WA will you be? Guessing Seattle or Tacoma? I'm in Eastern WA

• tiffany scraps
      tiffany scraps commented
      Editing a comment
      Tacoma

I have just booked my Mexico vacation for March. In Canada the winters are so long and with these crazy cold temperatures this past two weeks it has me wishing it was March already.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you! I wish March was here as well. And after the winter you have been having, you DESERVE a trip to Mexico!!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been to Mexico - spend a whole 4 hours there I think! lol!! I hope you get to chill out longer

We are planning on taking a trip to Bear Lake over spring break, and hoping to go see the redwoods in California sometime this Fall.
    ----- HILLARY -----

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      You and Tiffany are going. Sigh. I'm jealous! I haven't seen the redwoods either. We went to San Francisco five years ago, so we say tall trees there, but not the official Redwood Forest!

We will take our usual trip to Myrtle Beach, SC sometime this summer, maybe a couple of trips. I often think about going other places, but my family owns a condo at Myrtle and free place to stay > new places haha. My son and I also have season passes for Carowinds amusement park near Charlotte, NC and will make as may trips there as we can! I'm so ready for spring and warmer weather!!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why we go to Hilton Head so much Jan! My in-laws have had a place since the 80's and (along with the rest of the extended family) love visiting such a great place while having a free place to stay

I am going to imagine that we have a holiday planned, I'd like to see Rome, or Tuscany, but really any place warm (not hot!) would be lovely!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to see Greece and Italy this fall. But right now it's not looking good, so I'm going to imagine along with you Corrin!

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Come to Colorado, Corrin! It's warm but not hot here in the summer! And, added bonus, it's also not disgustingly humid!!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      now I'l be singing John Denver songs for the day - "rocky mountain high - Colorado"!!

I'm planning our summer road trip as we speak! So fun! We are going to do the oregon coast & redwood national forest! :D We also will go somewhere with the inlaws for Christmas & they are thinking Hawaii! I also have a free room at Lake Louise, Alberta that we are trying to figure out how to use. Maybe a quick trip up there for Spring break!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like your trips Amie. We have been several of the same places - maybe in different order, but the same nevertheless. What are you thinking you'd like to see in HI? I'll copy you

Hubby is going for work to Tokyo with an oyster farmer for an event and the guy will be driving his van so I will hope in and take the opportunity to go visit my friends for little money and maybe none lol!!
    I will be staying most of the time at my friends places here and there so that will save me money and makes me happy lol
    Why do I care about travelling cheap? Because we have bought our tickets to France and the bill will be pretty painful since we are going end of summer and it is very expensive here in Japan That's why I haven't been travelling to Tokyo for a while and I can't wait to see my friends there. It's been so long!
    We are also planning to go travel with the French family as we are there. Our goal is Hungary, Budapest. I told my family how frustrated I feel sometimes as we can only do so much as we have to go to Korea and France so we decided to take the opportunity of our return to go together to a different country! Yay!
    Until then I do need to save up again te he he. But it is exciting! Anyone has been to Hungary before?

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to see Tokyo. My son wants to see Tokyo. Oh we're jealous of you!!

I just hide out from the heat in my airconned studio.
    hate February too.
    We have no plans for a vacation, would love to have somewhere to plan and think about though.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I know the heat isn't your thing Stefanie, but man do I miss the heat. I am happiest when it's about 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit!

I'm feeling February big time too. I remember last year we had mega snowstorms into mid April, and I'm just hoping that isn't the case again. I don't know if I can take it!! I have this crazy dream in my head to do something we've never done - go out and take an unplanned, aimless road trip down south. We live in Iowa, and I was thinking about heading towards Louisiana because we've never been that direction. The kids are into it, but I just don't know for sure if it'll happen. Even though it would be unplanned (we decided we'd look up places while we're on the road), I still have to plan $$ wise so we have money for lodging, food, and some activities!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      THIS is my dream!!!!! I want to rent an RV (so no hotels) and just drive. If a sign says "this way to the world's largest pecan" I want to take a detour and go see it!! Alas, my sweet husband is an engineer and this doesn't appeal to him at all. Sigh.

Originally posted by mocamom View Post
    Okay, February is here. Statistically this is the hardest month for me. The weather is awful, school is tiresome and unchanging, activities are starting to get to me, and it's just NOT SPRING yet. So, I have decided to live vicariously through others and start thinking about vacations. Are you taking one this year? If so, where are you going and what are you looking forward to the most?

We will be going to Hawaii in May. We decided to take a cruise around the islands so we can see them all, rather than staying in one location. I honestly can't see us ever going back, so we thought we'd pack as much in as we can in this one trip.

What are y'all doing this year? Vacation? Staycation? Take my mind off the February doldrums please
    I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to go back to Hawaii! We only went to the Big Island but I want to take my kids so bad there!!!

and I want go away on easter break since it's always cold and snowy or icy. But dh says we can't go (think whiny voice) but he's leaving for Florida Sunday for week long business conference. . I can't go b/c kids are in school and middle son has a basketball game every other day next week. *sigh*.

My biggest plans for Feb break is taking my oldest son to look at in state colleges.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel your pain about working around kids' schedules! We homeschool supposedly for the flexibility but the older the kids get, the more they are involved in things and the less flexibility we seem to have!! What state colleges? I have 3 older kids who have attended 3 different colleges. That looking around phase is fun!

• Jazz2000
      Jazz2000 commented
      Editing a comment
      We're in Michigan, so I thought Western Michigan, but also Kalamazoo College, Hope College, Grand Valley State. hmmm I don't know if we could fit all those in just a 4-day weekend.

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey!!! We moved from Kalamazoo but my oldest son went to Central Michigan (since we moved after he started college). I love all those choices!

It's hard for us to take a vacation - husband doesn't get vacation time until next year - he works in a mine and even though he gets 4 days off every 8 days we have to budget everything since its not paid. We are planning a trip to California for some whale watching in March, and spending time with my oldest daughter to help her with wedding plans. We have to go out in June for her Bridal Shower but are thinking about adding some time to visit Harry Potter World. Then we have to go back out in August for the wedding. I start school in May for medical billing and coding and my youngest starts college in August, so things will be tricky. We do hope to go to Alaska next year to visit some friends and there is talk of a family reunion in New Hampshire this year or next. We also want to do some traveling to look at potential places we may want to move to for our final home.

Hawaii sounds pretty and I would love to visit Ireland for our honeymoon (we never got one but we hope to do one when we renew our vows at our 10th anniversary) but I am actually nervous about flying over water. LOL. So we budget and then see if we can make it happen. :-)

Comment

• Jazz2000
      Jazz2000 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to go whale watching!!! and visit Harry Potter World. *sigh* so lucky!

• Wendy Morris-Saponaro
      Editing a comment
      Harry Potter World in Orlando is EPICCCCCC!!! We took my youngest stepson about 5 years ago (when he was 11) and he was with "big eyes and open mouth" ...sheer amazement! Universal Studios thought out every detail! It was expensive but well worth it! SO many photo opportunities around every corner - including the dragon in Daigon Alley that breathed "fire" and melted our ice cream to mush! HA!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      We are Potter fams over here too (England!) - I hope you make it to visit Harry Potter World, I've been to the English one a few times wiht my children and it is amazing! But a California wedding sounds pretty good too <3

Dreams....ha! Living on the Gulf Coast of Florida and minutes from the beach, Spring Break is around the corner. Since my husband is an Executive Chef, March - end of Labor Day (yes, September!) is the busiest season. So, we typically take a vacation in late September/October. Although last year, our vacation consisted of a week of "staycation" which was MUCH needed.
    ---------- WENDY ----------

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes staycations are the best ever! And we like to vacation in September / October since we homeschool. We like taking advantage of less crowded times

• Wendy Morris-Saponaro
      Editing a comment
      SO true!!! It was truly one of the best do nothing staycation and we powered through fun tasks at home that were on our list to do together too.
Working...
X