Pumpkin Carving With a Melon Baller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Carving With a Melon Baller

It is pumpkin carving time!! I love it! But I often end up doing most of the scooping out for 4 out of 5 of the pumpkins the kids and I are carving, which can get a little tedious! So I am always ready to hear any scooping out or carving tips! This year someone told me that melon ballers are great for scooping out the pumpkin, and that was a brilliant tip! They are great! We've been using ice cream scoops and the special little kits you can buy, as well as spoons or ladles, but I tell ya, MELON BALLERS are the way to go!

Maybe you already knew that, being a pumpkin carving pro, in which case do you have any other good pumpkin carving tips for me?!

I scoop out butternut squash with a tool like a melon baller, so using one on a pumpkin makes perfect sense to me. I hope that you have one of the big ones though, and that you’re not using a tiny little one!

do you roast the seeds, or just throw them away?

Comment

I have never used a melon baller before, but the tools that they have now sure beat the spoons that we always used as kids.
      As for seeds, I never keep them. I like them roasted, but after de-gutting 4 pumpkins I am just ready for the mess to be gone.

My Gallery

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        My kids do the bulk of the de-gunking, because sitting the the garden with a big basin of water and pumpkin gook and throwing the slimy bits onto the ground (at each other....who am I kidding?), what could be more fun?

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        What could be more fun? Hmm let's see...we usually carve pumpkins with my family, so that would be 10 kids throwing pumpkin guts at each other, so yeah not that.

I'm afraid I am with Hillary, happy to just get rid of all the gump and so into the composter it all goes! I'm not bothered enough to roast the seeds, and I'd be the only one eating them.

currently I only have the small melon baller, so I scooped out the main stuff with an ice cream scoop, and a bit serving spoon that is really good for that job, and then the melon baller did all the more resistant stuff! Thankfully the pumpkins this year have been smaller than in previous years, so my little melon baller was just fine!

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        We can’t compost because of the wild bears and other curious critters. I think I’ll give your melon baller idea a try this year though!

Thanks for the tip! I will admit that we haven't even gotten our pumpkins yet, little alone carving them. If we can find pumpkins in the next two days, I'll use this!
      Save
      Save

Comment

So Corrin, I tried your technique and used a melon baller (well, a really big (like 1/4 cup) one) to hollow out our pumpkins this year, and it was genius. I had both done in under ten minutes (though they were pie pumpkins, so not the big gourds we usually get). Thanks for the excellent tip.

Comment

• corrin
          corrin commented
          Editing a comment
          Yay, I'm so glad to have found a good tip!!
      Working...
      X