Prince Louis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Louis

You might have heard in the news that a Prince William and Princess Kate had a baby boy a couple of days ago, and today they announced his name! Prince Louis (Louis Arthur Charles)! It has been fun to wonder what they would call thier little boy, because I had SUCH a hard time agreeing on a name for my youngest son! My husband and I could not find a name we both liked, and so we changed his name everyday for a couple of weeks, trying to find one that would stick. Kate and William are only allowed to choose names from a list (of previous royal names), so I guess that would narrow things down a bit.

What do you think of the name? I like it, although it does remind me of King Louis the orangutan from Jungle Book!

How about naming any children, pets, cars, toys, or anything else you chose to name - did you have a hard time coming up with a name? Did you have certain criteria to meet? Between us, my hubby and I had quite a list of criteria (probably why it was so hard to find a name!) - it had to end with a soft syllable because our surname starts with a harsh K sound; it could be no more than 2 syllables long; it needed to mean something good; we had to like all the possible abbreviations of the name.... there were more things but I won't bore you!

I'm okay with Louis, even though it's not a name I would have chosen myself. But, they certainly didn't ask for my opinion, so it's all good.

Oddly enough, when I was pregnant with DD, we only agreed on a girl's name, and super early on (I was like 6 weeks pregnant), and with DS we only agreed on a boy's name (again, super early on, before we knew he was a he). We argued back and forth on the opposite gender names each time though. A few rules we had:

- Can't be the name of an ex (even spelled differently) or the name of a person that either of us didn't like or had other issues with;
    - Can't rhyme with our last name (so Martin was out);
    - Can't have a quirky spelling;
    - Should be easy or obvious to pronounce based on the spelling;
    - Can't be trendy (so preferably not on the top 100 any time in the past five or so years).

and my personal favorite (and the absolute number one rule according to DH), because it still cracks me up:
    - no stripper names.

What constitutes a stripper name, per his definition? Anything that sounds completely normal when followed by "next on Stage Two!"

DD's name was more popular 100 years ago then it is now, and we violated the "trendy" rule with DS - his name was in the top 25 for the year he was born, but we haven't actually run across that many (I think there've been two) with his same name.

Comment

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL- what is it with guy's & 'stripper names'?!? My hubby said the same thing!

I like it! I think his obvious nickname will be louie or something. It's cute.

We had a HARD time with names. Everything I liked, hubby didnt & vice versa! We eventually came up with our girl & boy name- and then kept the boy name for our 2nd- thankfully we didn't have to come up with a new girl name the 2nd go around! We had a few rules- not super common, easily spellable (although that backfired I think with Declan) & no bad nicknames. Our daughter is Hayden- which I still love the name- a lot of people think she's a boy if her name is on paper or a list. With Declan, it is ridiculous how some people pronounce it. I think it's fairly obvious but his dr's office always says Deh-Claun. ?!? Wth!? smh. Sometimes I wish we had spelled it- DECKLEN or something super phonetic but then it just looks goofy! As it becomes more popular- I'm hearing it more & more these days- hopefully people will know how to say it!

Comment

I like the name, but I was a bit surprised that they didn't include Philip in it. I guess that just leaves it for Harry and Mehgan, LOL.

As for us, boy names are HARD, not to mention having to do 4 of them! I think Ezra was our hardest. We talked about it and talked about it, until we put a list on the fridge that we would scratch names off pretty much daily. Once the list was empty, we went back to Ezra, my initial suggestion months before. *headdesk*

My Gallery

Comment

I have just been singing "Louis, Louis" by The Kingsmen since I heard the name LOL

I had a hard time with my kids names because I am a teacher and every time DH or someone would come up with one, I had a student it reminded me of and I just couldn't go with it haha. I pretty much knew Aaron for the oldest and fortunately he was born before I'd been teaching too long. Morgan was Molly up until the day she was born and I changed it last minute. DH came up with Chance's name because with me being almost 40 and it being a second marriage for us both, we were "taking a Chance".

Comment

• Hillary
          Hillary commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I imagine that was hard.

IntenseMagic I keep thinking of that song too! I actually like the name, but some of my best friends had a dog named Louie forever, so my thoughts go right to him... I love reading about everyone's criteria - so random depending on everyones experiences- except for "no stripper names" - pretty sure that's widely accepted!

Comment

I liked Arthur like most people, as shown in the ratings and I'm sad it's only a middle name. Louis sounds a bit old to me.

Comment

• Kat Hansen
            Kat Hansen commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking the same thing - I keep thinking the poor child is going to be called "Lou" as he gets older. I don't mind the names, but I'd swap them up - Arthur Charles Louis .... then again, I'm not royalty, and it's not my choice! LOL

• corrin
            corrin commented
            Editing a comment
            Louis is an older name I guess, but to me Arthur and George are too! I think they are quite trendy at the moment, and girls with WWII names as well (the flower names esp for girls - Lily, Rose, Violet), to me they all sound "vintage"!

One of the "good" sides of infertility is that we have had pleeeeeeenty of time to think of names we both like! Now we just have to get the baby to go with it. LOL We have a list of criterias too: no ex name (too bad because my exes had pretty great names! his? not so much! LOL), no "hard" sound (because his family name is German and has GR TZ GR in it... Already enough hardness there) and it should sound great in Alsatian accent. For example I like Claire for a girl, but with the alsatian accent it sounds like "glaire" which means glair or mucus. Not very glamorous, is it?

Comment

• corrin
            corrin commented
            Editing a comment
            that is jilarious Chloe I am so glad I only had to worry about one language or we might never have names the poor boy!!

I think of old corrupted kings when I think of Louis, but that may just be my weird history loving self!

For our family, I had it a bit easier because we limited ourselves when coming up with names. You have to understand that we are VERY much nerds in our family - and that's okay by us hehe! So since we all think in numbers and patterns, we saw a pattern after we named my first son Parker. Let's see if you figure it out:

Eric (my husband)
          Robin (me)
          Parker (first son)
          Madison (first daughter)
          McKenzie (second daughter)
          Zachariah (second son)

Can you see it?? It made picking the last three names easier!
          Save
          Save

Comment

• mocamom
            mocamom commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay Stefanie !!!! Yes. Once we realized Parker had 5 letters, we just continued from there. But again, our family LOVES numbers. Math is fun and patterns are even more so!

• Kat Hansen
            Kat Hansen commented
            Editing a comment
            Robin, heaven help you if there's another - 10 letters? That would be quite a challenge! LOL

• mocamom
            mocamom commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope Kat Hansen it's easy! Alexandria for a girl and Maximilian for a boy. But alas, we are done (youngest is 12 already) unless we decide to carry the tradition on for our pets hehehe!

I appreciate that she gave birth to George on my birthday and now Louis on our 30th wedding anniversary. She is considerate like that.
          I also thought of the Louis in the jungle Book. Not my fave. Would have preferred James actually, or Arthur.

Comment

• corrin
            corrin commented
            Editing a comment
            no way!! Obviously you have some royal blood running through your veins, and are MEANT to be celebrating with "the family"!

• Kat Hansen
            Kat Hansen commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL!!

We don't have any children, but we've named plenty of pets over the years. We were the most creative with the last pair of kitties we adopted. They are siblings and I pictured them snuggling and sleeping together..... wrong.... the are complete opposites and barely tolerate each other. I named the female first. Her coat is super soft and silky, so I named her cashmere. My male likes to climb the screening on our porch and then just kinda hangs there ... pulling him off sounds just like Velcro, so we named him Velcro. And since Velcro and cashmere are not compatible components it seemed like purrrrfect names for these two. We also had a golden retriever that my hubby named Taxi.... just so he see the odd looks from people when he stood in the middle of the dog park and yelled Taxi...lol.

Comment

• corrin
            corrin commented
            Editing a comment
            that is so funny, about your sibling cats not really being buddies, and I really laughed at the "Taxi" too! Brilliant! MAybe we should have had that as a criteria, ames that sound great when yelled outloud at the park!! lol!

• Kat Hansen
            Kat Hansen commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, now that I would like to see ... crowded dog park and someone yelling "Taxi!"

• mocamom
            mocamom commented
            Editing a comment
            I love this @Donnatopia!! My dad named his dog Nobody so when his mom asked him who ate such and such, he replied "Nobody" without lying!

My son was adopted, so a name was easy-ish. His Bulgarian name was Stanislav Anitov Hristov. When we traveled to finalize the adoption, our son didn't know very much English at all, and we knew the whole thing had the potential to be pretty traumatic. So, to keep things simple, we shortened Stanislav to simply Stan (not Stanley, as my Dad would always tease him) We thought about a middle name, Anthony, but that would have sounded better with Stanley - Stanley Anthony (although still a bit of a mouthful). Stan is was - and still is ... plain and simple, no middle name.

Comment

• corrin
            corrin commented
            Editing a comment
            Stan is a good name, I only know 1, but he is great, and has such a sense of humour (much like your Stan apears to have!).
        Working...
        X