Where are all the expats??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the expats??

I'd love to hear how many expats are around? Tell me how and when, long term or short - how did you end up in a country other than your home country?

I'll get us started.. I'm a South African, and I moved to the UK last year to join my husband. At first we reckoned it would be medium term, but I'm starting to see myself living here longer. There are days that I can't believe I left my family and lifelong friends behind, and then there are the days that I can't believe I haven't done this earlier!? Crazy huh?

Looking forward to hear everyone's story!

I’m not an expat, but I’m originally from California and now I live in Colorado (in the US). We came to Colorado for my husband’s job, and then just decided it was too nice to leave when he retired a few years back.

Comment

I am French, came to Japan 20 years ago to study, met my Korean husband, came back again and stayed. I celebrated my 20th Japan anniversary last year September

Comment

caliten I guess the US's states are so different from each other, you are practically an expat

ninigoesdigi Wow what a long time!! It's wonderful to be able to look back on 20 years.

Comment

I was born in Switzerland but I now live in the North-East of France. It's not super far away (5-hours drive) but still a different country. I came here to live with my man after meeting him online in 2001 the early, analog modem, days of the internet! LOL

Comment

My mother considered me an expat for 15 years. I was raised in the South but moved up North (MI). After 15 years, she was quite happy when we came "home" and moved away from the North to Texas 5 years ago!! I don't quite look at it that way, but I think it's funny she does!
            Save
            Save

Comment

I was born in Germany but have been in South Africa since I was 4 years old. Not sure if that is an expat as I truly feel South African.

Comment

Stefanie That's interesting! I guess wherever one spends most of your childhood turns out to be your true home country?

Comment

I'm Australian, but have been in the US since January 1994 ... a long time! Came here, originally, for work with the Australian government, met a guy, stayed, got my residency, got married ... now recently separated and divorced and making plans to go home later in the year The US is where I've "lived" for half my life, but it's not "home," if that makes sense.

Comment

• christellevandyk
                    christellevandyk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That makes a lot of sense! I don't see myself moving back "home", and yet it's still home! Good luck with the move - I hope you get settled back in quickly!

Well, I am probably the boring one here! I was born in Georgia (the state not the country) and actually lived at the same address my whole life until I got married. We have moved eight times I believe in our almost 14 years of marriage, including 2 separate times in Charleston, South Carolina. The rest of our married lives has been spent in different places in Georgia. We've currently lived in our house for five years and I don't see us moving again soon. We moved a lot for his job early on and we found it exciting. Now that our daughter is getting older (she's 9) and we are too, we've definitely got that out of our system lol.

Comment

I was born in and lived in South Africa for most of my life, but for the past 5 years I've called Australia home.

Comment

• christellevandyk
                      christellevandyk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hear there is a big South African community in Australia. My older brother and his family also moved there 2 years ago.
                  Working...
                  X