State of the Union

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Union

As you may or may not know, yesterday the American President presented the annual State of the Union address. While I really, really do not want to open up a political discussion, I would like to ask about the state of your Union (whatever shape it may take), and by that I mean you. I'd like to hear reports from the following departments:

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever")
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased")
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over")
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned")
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?")
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?")
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit")
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do")
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing")
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word")
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?")
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?")
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US")
    Last edited by caliten; 01-31-2018, 07:41 PM.

I'll start the proceedings:

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") - lima beans
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") - a very large tank of gas for my vehicle
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") - stuff left scattered on the floor
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") - how to use the dir command in MATLAB
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") - Mexican spice-rub chicken, rice and corn
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") - reading for pleasure
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") - Yellowstone National Park
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") - leave dirty clothes stuffed behind the bathroom door
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") - making the bed
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") - happy
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") - to drop my kids off at school
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") - it's a toss up between a Porsche Carrera 4S or an awesome home in the mountains
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") - pfft, football. We're going skiing.

Comment

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I highly recommend Yellowstone! And.. my mom is going skiing too- she said it's one of the best days b/c no one is there!

Hahahahaha! I'll play!

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") - bok choy
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") - a can of refried beans.
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") - where I put the bowls and plates in my cupboard. My husband thinks I put them in the wrong place. Nope. I don't.
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") - how to add my handwriting to a layout.
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") - BLT sandwiches
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") - watching Netflix.
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") - Disneyland, obviously.
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") - do not stick your hand down your pants. (To my 3 year old)
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") - vaccuming
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") - happy
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") - to pick up my kids from school
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") - a cabin (big enough for my whole family) to vacation at, whenever.
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") - no football here, just dinner at my in-laws.

My Gallery

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      my 3year old keep doing that at the moment too! Boys! *eye rolling*

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I too always organize things correctly, despite what the other people in my house think.

And what you told your 3yo, I also told my 8yo last night. Like seriously. We have a rule that you can't talk to mom while either or both of your hands are in your pants. Because eew. For real.

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") artichokes
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") kettle
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") cat hurl
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") scrapbooking a dispersion technique - hated the result
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") chicken and veggies
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") reading
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") winelands
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") waste water
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") making the bed
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") meh!
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") grocery shopping
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") safari
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") church and lunch and nap

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had artichokes once or twice, and I can't say I am a fan (they seem like large Brussel sprouts to me!).

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      what's 'winelands'?

And a safari sounds so amazingly cool! Have you seen the videos about the hotel where the giraffes walk right up to the windows (and beg for food)? My kids really, really want to stay there.

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") brussel sprouts
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") Flooring
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") car insurance (after Hubby got into an accident with MY CAR...wasn't his fault, but tensions were high, regardless)
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") using own handwriting on LO
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") Spaghetti
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") TV
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") The Grand Canyon
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") call me before 9 am
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") ugh... I hate them all. But I'll pick cooking dinner
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") anxious (the flooring guys are here installing new flooring)
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") Shopping for flooring
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") vacation home in the mountains or a fancy schmancy RV
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") watching the Super Bowl, of course (Go Eagles!)

Comment

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL @ not calling you before 9 am. That is such a good rule.

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm curious which mountains you'd want that vacation home in. We want ours just west-southwest of Denver, in the Rockies.

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      so how does the flooring look?! I hope you are pleased with it!

Ohh thank you Carrie for not opening up a political can of worms! I swear I had to get off FB for a few days because I couldn't stand the arguing anymore. I know my opinions, and I know I won't sway anyone else in theirs, so why do I want to hear / read about friends arguing with each other???? Arrrgghh.

So, since this is fun and makes me feel happy (thank you again for that!), I'm playing along

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") brussel sprouts. I hate them and yet am forced to buy them for my family. Sigh.
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") a baby camera for our upcoming trip
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") politics with my parents - enough said
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") connecting my camera to my phone - who knew???
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") pizza since my hubby is out of town and we can
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") using my soaker tub with Epsom salts
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") the Grand Canyon - ohhh I want to see this so badly!
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") don't let the dog lick the clean silverware in the dishwasher - why???
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") none - can't think of a thing, that's why it's called a chore!
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") tired
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") my mom's
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") plane tickets!!!
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") hosting a party. EEK!
    Last edited by mocamom; 02-01-2018, 12:09 PM.
    Save
    Save

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      We visited the Grand Canyon for the first time last summer and were totally blown away. I wish we'd had more time to spend exploring there.

And what's a baby camera? Just something small, or is it more specific than that?

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I am with you on the chores, but I do like the feeling of seeing the laundry basket empty Have fun hosting your party!

I like this idea!!

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") - Okra -eaugh!
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") - a birthday card for my 3yr old son's best friend's sister! And I searched the whole town for a pot of bubbles, and nobody has any - how can that be?!
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") - ugh, geting my son to do his job this week, loading and unloading the dishwasher (ban on tech until it is done, SOOO unfair!)
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") - to apply a new phone screen protector with a credit card (to get rid of any air bubbles)
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") - today should be mediterranean veg with pasta and green pesto
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") - scrapbooking!
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") - hmm, tricky! York, London, or Cornwall - but I need a bit more sunshine to really enjoy any of them!
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") - play the x-box before getting dressed for school
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") - seeing the bottom of an empty laundry basket, knowing it is all clean and sorted and soon to be put away.
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") - content
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") - school run (picking up)
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") - a holiday home for all the family in which comes with thick and warm carpets in most rooms, a housekeeper and a driver with car!
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") - no football here, so church and then hopefully a walk out and about somewhere, or just chilling at home.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      You should join us when we go to York at the end of May!

And I love that your dream house has 'thick and warm carpets'. No thin industrial stuff for you!

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      yes please to York - but just a bit too far for a day trip while the kids are in school - sadly!

As for the house with the thick, warm carpets - on going debate, our current house has mostly wood floor. Some is laminate which I find very hard and cold, and some are original floorboards, which look nice enough, but there is no form of insulation undermeath, and at times I can feel a howling gale come up through the cracks. I continue to lobby for carpet!

lol this is hilarious!

Department of Agriculture (aka "the fruit or vegetable you are absolutely least likely to buy, ever") Asparagus- not a single one of us like it!
    Department of Commerce (aka "the last thing you purchased") Gift card for son's teacher for her birthday
    Department of Defense (aka "the last thing you got in an argument over") daughter picking up her piles
    Department of Education (aka "the last new thing/technique/trick you learned") some communication kool-aid at work meeting yesterday
    Department of Energy (aka "what's for dinner?") parmesean chicken
    Department of Health and Human Services (aka "what's your go-to activity for relaxation?") scrapping or bubble bath
    Department of the Interior (aka "the place in your own country you most want to visit") I'll go with Washington DC for this one!
    Department of Justice (aka "the last thing you had to remind your kids/spouse/someone else not to do") Wear the same clothes for 2 days in a row!
    Department of Labor (aka "the regular chore you most look forward to accomplishing") mopping- love/hate. Hate doing it, but love how it looks when done!
    Department of State (aka "describe your current mood in a single word") tired
    Department of Transportation (aka "on your last excursion out of the house, where'd you go?") hockey tourney
    Department of the Treasury (aka "one item on your if-money-was-no-issue list?") maid
    Department of (Veterans) Affairs (aka "what are you plans for this Sunday - it's Super Bowl Sunday in the US") going to a friends to relax- very low key

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      wait, what's 'some communication kool-aid'?

And I hear you about the same clothes two days in a row. We allow the same pants to be work up to three times between washings, but I absolutely draw the line at socks, undies and the innermost shirt, or anything that directly touches the armpits. My 8yo son things this is beyond unreasonable, btw.

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      lol caliten My son would wear the exact same clothes- undies & all every day until who knows when...

communication kool-aid- we have a practice management company that does training- it is interesting info- but a bit 'kool-aid-ish' :D Auditory, Visual vs. Kinesthetic personalities...
Working...
X