'Spring' cleaning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Spring' cleaning?

One of the things the hubs & I talked about as a resolution was 'spring' cleaning some of the crap collecting areas of our home.

The junk drawer was 1st & easy. This last weekend, we cleaned out the pantry & added a new shelf & matching containers to keep everything neat & tidy.

Now my next obstacle- our bathroom drawers. I have 3 drawers- top is full of stuff we use daily- but a lot of crap too. The 2nd is completely my crap. The bottom is my make up/hair stuffs. I have agreed to take on that project- but need some help on ideas! Organizers? or just chuck it all!? lol!

Tips on organization specific to bathrooms?

Anyone else de-junkifying in 2018?!?

We spent many, many hours cleaning crap (hah!) out of our basement. Like every single Nerf dart with teeth marks, and all the little scraps of wrapping paper, and 12 cases of empty wine bottles (don't judge! We make our own wine and well-meaning friends give us all these empty bottles in the hopes that we'll just give them free wine.). And I'm at that point we're I'm over all the accumulation, and just tossing things - from the fridge and pantry, the kids closets - and boxing up stuff to send to charity - clothes and toys and books and small furniture items and small, working appliances, and two ugly-@$$ chandeliers - because I don't need all this stuff anymore. So I'm totally with you. Happy de-junking.

Comment

This is always on my list to do. Yesterday I organized the pantry and got the Kids' snacks all tidied up. With more sports practices, my Kids are always hungry and we need snacks ready to go.
      -----KRISTA-----

Comment

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep I totally agree with the handy snacks! I made the entire lowest shelf for "their" stuff!

Last January I de-junked my bathroom drawers. I chucked anything I hadn't used in a year and the things I couldn't let go of, I put in a box in the linen closet. When I hadn't touched the box for 6 months, I chucked that too. I haven't missed any of it. But I have enjoyed having spacious room in my drawers and cabinet! I never have to dig for anything now. I even have an empty drawer.
      I wish I could apply the same tactics to my craft space. Hahaha! Yeah right.

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        I subscribe to 'the box method' for getting rid of clothes. If I haven't worn it in a year, it goes into a box. And if I don't think about whatever's in the box, or wonder where an item is ('oh, it's in the box'), then the entire box gets donated. I like the idea of doing this for bathroom stuff. I should probably try it.

• AmieN1
        AmieN1 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great idea! Ya... um... I won't mention what needs to happen in our office/craft room!

Yesturday I worked miracles in my sons' bedroom! As I general rule they are expected to keep their room clean and tidy, but every so often it is clear that the mountain is too big for them to climb, so when I get sick of it, I go in and blitz it. That was yesturday! And actually my oldest son had already made a box of stuff he didn't want anymore and a box of stuff that doesn't belong in his room but should be in some other room - but then the boxes had got buried/forgotten. I was quite proud of him for making that much of an effort!

Anyway, I think that the box idea would work for bathrooms too, our bathroom (family bathroom) is pretty minimal so it isn't a worry (no drawers for stuff to linger in!), so I don't have any great ideas to help but I wish you lots of luck!

Comment

Ok! This thread rubbed off on me and I went through bathroom drawers this morning!!
        -----KRISTA-----

Comment

That's my goal to start when we get back from our trip. I normally spend every December and June cleaning out every single closet, drawer, cabinet, and closet. I didn't in June because my mom was so sick nor did I do it in December since I had eye surgery. Every time I look into one of the above, I get anxious and my eye start's twitching. As soon as I get back I'm on a mission. Woe to anyone who looks as if they aren't busy as I'll bring them into my plan of action as well!
          Save
          Save

Comment

I SO need to do some real cleaning on my stuff, hoping to do it in february

Comment

"Spring cleaning" is foreign language to me since I've started the FlyLady system! LOL No more marathon, painful cleaning or decluttering sessions for this girl! The Konmari method is the complete opposite of FlyLady (and definitely not right for me... I had anxiety attack just reading the book!) but I took ONE idea out of her book: to only keep things that "brings me joy", or as I interpret it, things that brings something positive to my life. That's my criteria to decide whether stuff can stay or leave.

Comment

No tips to share actually. I like things to be organized ... but usually they're not unfortunately. At this very moment my house is in awesome shape. We're having a superbowl party tomorrow so I was forced to clean it from top to bottom. I LOVE when I'm forced to do that!

I should clarify ... I'm not a good clean ... not at all. If my kids see me with a vacuum or dusting they immediately ask if someone is coming over. LOL! The rule here is don't move things around on the shelves. If they stay put it doesn't look dusty.

I did have quite a mess going for a while. I just went away for 5 days to a mother/daughter trip with my mom and sisters. While I was gone my husband painted our bedroom. What a sweet guy! That left a bunch of stuff to be looked through in the guest room but that was awesome. It forced me to go through and purge. It feels good!! And I love the look of my newly painted and rearranged bedroom BTW!
                Barbara's Forum Signature 900x150 by Barbara, on Flickr
                Save

Comment

• AmieN1
                  AmieN1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's awesome that your hubby did that for you! I agree on the 'clean when someone is coming over!' Lol! In general we're pretty organized & clutter free too- but there's always that one drawer or cupboard!!
              Working...
              X