What do you listen to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you listen to?

I find it very difficult to switch off any sounds I hear so at home, when I scrap I have silence and I just love it. Occasionally I will be listening to a scrapping podcast but if I need to concentrate or do journaling off it goes again. I hate having the tv on and someone else listening to something different, isn't that why earphones were invented? What about you? In the car driving? at home scrapping? Inquiring minds want to know.

My husband and I just had a conversation about this yesterday. I love silence and he loves noise. I was happily scrapping in silence in our family room, but the minute he got home he turned on the TV. Thankfully, we have a spare room with a bed and sofa in it where I can go for peace and quiet. But of course, I'm the one who has to get up and move!

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I can identify! I love the quiet and he loves talking type shows or videos with canned laughter and bleeped swear words that make me nigh ballistic. Thankfully we have a fairly sound proof door between the tv room and the studio where I work.

I prefer silence while I'm working, talking on the phone, trying to read something 'serious', or trying to sleep, but like to have music on while I'm exercising (but only indoors), cleaning, decorating, working on house projects, etc. I don't mind background noise (someone else's music, talking, and occasionally the TV, but not something I intentionally turn on or try to avoid) while I'm scrapping, cooking, or reading books that don't require much mental effort. My son almost always prefers quiet, but my daughter prefers constant low-grade background noise (talking or music, generally).

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that you enjoy a combination, a great balance. Thanks for sharing

I like silence most of the- only because it is so rare around here with 2 busy littles & a noisy hubby! On my days off- I'll usually just turn on some music to do chores & stuff to- but RARELY do I turn on the tv!

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      I enjoy a show after supper, but agee days go by and I don't even think about it.
      Glad to hear that I am not alone in the enjoyment of silence. I think maybe once the children leave home the silence may be daunting - but until then let's relish it!

I also love silence especially when scrapping or reading. Too much noise for too long and I need to escape. I do though love listening to music but that is a conscious thing and it is usually classical. You can't just have a symphony playing in the background. It demands attention. One of my favourite sayings has always been "Don't speak unless you can improve on silence".
    ]e

Comment

• Stefanie
      Stefanie commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an awesome saying - so often people blurt out stuff and upset my equilibrium. I love escaping to the silence too.

I will typically have the tv on, but more often than not, it's background noise only - especially if I'm feeling really creative and just get in the zone. If not the tv, then some classical music, something light and instrumental (piano or flute, usually).
    Last edited by Kat Hansen; 01-21-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The radio is turning on the whole day here. I prefer to work with some music like Adele, Ed Sheeran, The Cranberries, Sting, and much more...
      [ SHOP ] [ BLOG ] [ FACEBOOK ]

Comment

I can't be in silence, so my rock music is playing all day when I'm working.

Comment

Usually when I'm working it's silent and even the slightest noise drives me BONKERS! My hubby was actually working from home the other day and was on the phone in the next room. I had to close his door and mine and put noise cancelling headphones on just to be able to concentrate! BUT... when I'm doing artistic or mindless tasks, I either listen to movie soundtracks (I loooooove Hans Zimmer!) or an audiobook (completely addicted!).

Comment

I have different playlists or music channels that I listen to while working, cleaning, driving or working out. I like quiet for reading (with soft sounds of dog and child playing in the background)
            Ive tried to Netflix binge while working. It doesn’t work for me at all. Lol the same goes for podcasts where I may have to concentrate on what is being said.
            The funny thing is, I cannot watch tv without doing something else at the same time. Maybe I could sit for a movie, but I’m always doing menu planning or reading something while I sit with hubs while he watches tv.

Comment

I'm the same way Amie! I have several no make that many playlists for different reasons. Hip hop or angry rock for kickboxing, alternative favorites for cycling, favorites for crafting or anything upbeat and a goodnight playlist. Like you, listening to podcasts while I scrap is hard because I want to concentrate on what is being said. And also same thing with TV- I have to be doing something while watching with hubby. I usually do something on my phone like clearing out photos, editing photos and I also fussy cut lots of stuff while watching TV.

Comment

I almost always scrap while listening to an audiobook. I love the stories and multitasking. The only time I turn it off is when I'm journaling. For some reason I can't listen to words and type different words at the same time!
                Save
                Save

Comment

• shannonc
                  shannonc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's totally me too!

I've got to have some noise when I work or create! So, I either put a Netflix show on in the background that I don't care about following that closely, or I have a really great Pandora station that I've customized almost perfectly to the music I like to listen to most!

Comment

Working...
                X