Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had only one city to visit in Germany....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had only one city to visit in Germany....

Where would you go? We have an opportunity to travel with my husband in February (not an ideal time but I'm just grateful to go along!), and we have two and a half days to spend somewhere in Germany that's within a train ride away from Amsterdam.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm open to anything!!!
    Save
    Save

I’ve only been to Trier, which does have lots and lots of history and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and I have no idea about getting there on the train (we drove). I’ve heard good things about Munich.
    Last edited by caliten; 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I loved Koln and think it is well worth visiting. Another thing I did in Belgium that really meant a lot to me was going to the American Military Cemeteries. I have two great uncles buried in them and it was special to stand at their graves. In addition, the staff was so kind and accommodating. They dressed both graves for me and played taps and also gave me a tour and a really nice history of the cemeteries. Now I know most people would not want to go to a cemetery, but it was such a moving experience that even if you don't have a family member there, I still recommend it.

Ardennes American Cemetery
      Henri-Chappelle American Cemetery
      Last edited by Lorie; 12-14-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• corrin
        corrin commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no idea about Germany, sorry, but my daughter's school just took them to Belgium to a British cemetery there, and she and her friends found it very moving too. We have ancestors who died at sea and abroad in wars, so she couldn't stand at their graves, but just being there was quite an experience for her!

• Lorie
        Lorie commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it is great that their school took them and I am glad she and her friends were also moved like I was.

Go to Hamburg !
      I was there watching "kings of lion" and we spent one week-end there. I felt in love with this city from the first moment.
      go to the harbour and make a cruise . it´s amazing to see those big container ships so close
      and of course Munich. But both cities are completly in different directions

Köln isn´t worth to visit anymore. I heard it from my son, he was there last year . the only thing there is the Kölner Münster, the big cathedrale, the rest ist ......the same with Berlin.

--- ASTRID ---

Comment

Working...
      X