Great gift ideas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great gift ideas!

I am getting to the trickier people to buy gifts for and so I am looking for inspiration! Tell me about the best gift you have received, or the best gifts you have made/bought/given to someone (for example your Dad, who is really hard to buy for because he has everything he needs and wants, and you already used up your one good idea for his birthday last week!) - I am stumped and looking for great ideas!

We have decided to try something a little different for our three older children this year, which I am excited about. We are going to look at buying them an "experience" - like a day go-karting, or a zero gravity session or maybe a behind the scenes animal experience - something they can DO instead of something they can HAVE. We have only just started to look into it, and I wondered if anyone else has tried something like this before, and did it work out well?

I start out Christmas shopping quite excited, and I often make many of the gifts I give, but I have done the fun and easy people, and am now on to the more difficult customers. Do you have 2 different lists, like Santa - not "naughty or nice", but "simple or stumped!"
    Last edited by corrin; 12-09-2017, 06:54 PM.

I'm the same way as far as the easy people get done first- and sometimes get more because I just see a bazillion things that my mom/sister/daughter would love!

My dad & FIL are the hardest to shop for- mostly because when they want something- they just go buy it. Honestly, my dad has said that all he wants is to spend time with us. I make a point to not plan ANYTHING else on the day we do Christmas with him & my step mom & just spend the entire day there. It's tough sometimes because my stepmom is hard to handle, but I know my dad enjoys our time. So no- I don't have any gift ideas! lol! I got him a new camo sweatshirt since it's hunting season!

My father in law is even harder- seriously all we bought him this year was his favorite candy. Usually my husband makes a point of getting the boat detailed or something later in the year that is useful but he's a tough one!

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, my dad's fav chocolate/sweets is a frequent gift, but I am one of 6 siblings, and I know 2 of them already bought him that! So hard!

Same boat here too (not one that gets detailed though). We've been doing the "experiences" instead of "things" thing for awhile with various family members. For example, I bought my parents (who definitely want for nothing) a kayaking adventure in a place called Bolinas Lagoon (my mom had been talking about going birding there since I was in high school). My brother got them a night at a B&B in Bolinas, and my sister bought them dinner (all gift certificates, of course!, since we didn't want to guess with their schedule). We've also sent them on a birding hike in Yosemite National Park (my bro and sis split the lodging bill), and this year they're going to a show in San Francisco and I's going to get them a night at a nearby funky boutique hotel (they don't know it yet). Since this takes lots of coordination, we only seem to be able to pull it off every other year. In intervening years I send my mom a year's worth of accumulated socks with birds on them (all new, and surprisingly well received) and a new logo sweatshirt for my dad. My dad's birthday is right after Christmas, so unless I get direct guidance from my mom, I get him a non-fiction book on whatever topic that comes up most often in our conversations.

My sister paid for an afternoon of ice skating and then hot cocoa/coffee for us last year. We used to buy my husband's sister an annual pass to ski at a winter resort near her home. And for many years I paid for a zoo or museum membership for my brother and his family (then they moved and also decided they wanted to snag the tax deduction that goes along with annual museum memberships). Every year we buy my husband's father a SiriusXM gift card that covers the cost of his annual subscription (he wouldn't pay for it otherwise, but he absolutely loves having the service and uses it). I also have a handful of people to whom I send a quarter bushel of ruby red grapefruits from Texas every year; I only do this for people who will gobble up these huge fruits.

I've done DIY gifts in the past: all the herbs/spices/liquids/tools and instructions the giftee needed to make their own gin (without a still - that's illegal! - this was basically just flavoring vodka) in a big Ikea lantern was my favorite. There are years where I don't have a good idea for my husband, so instead I just let him pick what he really wants and then don't fight him on it (one year it was a car lift - like a big one that a mechanic would use - and that absolved me of gift giving for the remainder of the year.)

I usually have all my Christmas shopping done in like October (I strongly dislike crowds), but this year, not so much. Today I'm doing an inventory to see what gaps still need to be filled.
    Last edited by caliten; 12-10-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I am usually more organised than this too, just thinking about to the shops in December is depressing to me! too many people, too much junk and it takes so long to do what I need to get done!

These are all great ideas. My Holiday Shopping is almost complete except for a few hard to buy for people!

Comment

Wow caliten has some great ideas! I run into the same situation where most of the folks in my life just buy whatever they want whenever they want it. My response is usually an experience gift (we sent my FIL indoor skydiving the other year, for example!) or something small but meaningful. Like we got my Mom a copy of one of her favorite childhood books that my sister happened to find in a used book store. Or a framed picture of my husband and I... (grandkids if you have them). Haha... my Mom always tells us all she wants is time with her kids so one year we wrapped up a tiny box that we filled with thyme and told her that it was symbolic of us giving her all kinds of time to help her with house projects, go out to coffee with her, etc.

Comment

This year I (for once) knew what to answer when people asked me what I wanted for Christmas!! I asked for subscriptions. One to a meditation app (I love their free program and wanted to try the whole shebang!) and one to a photography forum because my photography took the backseat in 2017 and I miss it! I hope this forum will help me make it a priority again in 2018.

Comment

• corrin
          corrin commented
          Editing a comment
          is that the Headspace app? I tried their free programme too!).

• chloe
          chloe commented
          Editing a comment
          corrin, no it's a french app called "petit bambou" (little bamboo... don't ask me why! LOL)
      Working...
      X