Putting up our tree today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting up our tree today!

We are putting up our Christmas tree today! In our house, the children take turns to go with Daddy to choose the tree, then we all help to decorate it, and whomever chose the tree chooses the star or the angel, and sits on Daddy's shoulders to put it on top of the tree. Sounds idyllic, and usually it is! I love it, this is usually one of my favourite parts of Christmas, just having a tree, decorated with lights and all the stuff the kids have made over the years.

So far today, the choose has been chosen and brought home, but now we are off to their school Christmas fair, and will decorate it later. I am just hoping that THAT part goes better than last year when they squabbles and argued and ended up just one person decorating it while while the others had a huff! This year, we have had a mouse or something get into our garden shed, and into one of the boxes of decorations. I have thrown out the tinsel and a few decorations, thankfully not the sentimental ones, but now I am wondering how to squeeze in time to grab some tinsel, or our tree is going to look a bit different!

When do you put your tree up? And do you have any traditions around getting, assembling or decorating the tree? If yours is all done already. Show us a picture!

I won't be putting up a tree this year, since it's just me in my apartment... but I think the boys have had the tree up all year at the house LOL I'm getting a few things, though, to decorate at home and at work ... debating whether I'll purchase a pre-made wreath for the front door or make one of my own (leaning towards just buying one).

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never yet made a wreath! They don't look too tricky, but that is probably very deceptive! lol!

We cut down a tree from our property in the mountains the weekend after Thanksgiving, hauled it home and it set up. We go for wild trees because they’re super unique, help us to clear our property and are free. We usually wait until after my son’s birthday (today) to decorate it, so it’s still bare - exactly the way I like my indoor pine trees. But my bare-tree time will come to an end tomorrow when I string it with lights, and then my kids will decorate it very unevenly and only in a small wedge that goes up to about 5 feet above the ground (it’s a 10-foot-tall tree!). Then DH and I will redistribute some of the ornaments upward and around a bit, and everyone will be happy. And hopefully this year we won’t forget to water it.

I have a picture of this year’s tree in a layout that I need to upload into the gallery today. I’ll update this post with the link soon so that you can all see my mangy, wild tree.

Last edited by caliten; 12-02-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the idea of going and choosing a tree from your very own plot! And your journaling in that page is great, you are right, it is perfect, gaps and bent trunk and all!

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      corrin, I should post a photo from the other side of the room .... you would really be able to see how unique this tree is!

Sounds fun!!! We don't decorate much any more. With older kids, we actually don't even wait until Christmas day to open presents some times. ROFL> We just do what we want each year

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, oh the perks of lder kids!!

• Kat Hansen
      Kat Hansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, I wish I could convince my 23 y.o. to do that! He's still hung up on everything being wrapped and under the tree LOL

So I picked up a few holiday decorations for the apartment today

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that wreath too! And the red berry garland .... I may co-opt (quasi-scraplift?) that idea. (I'm drumming my fingers like Mr. Burns right now.)

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      That wreath is GORGEOUS!!!

• Amson
      Amson commented
      Editing a comment
      The wreath is to die for. Ah the thought of snow sitting here sweating.....

We usually pull ours up from the basement the weekend of thanksgiving- but since we were out of town this year, we did it the weekend before thanksgiving. This year we have a new (artificial) tree that I got on clearance just after christmas last year! I usually take the glass stuff off, but leave most of the tree decorated, throw a cover over it & haul it down to the basement = easy to decorate the next year! BUT since we tossed our old one that was in sad shape, we had to decorate the new one completely this year! Usually the kids do most of it & then after they go to bed I rearrange whatever is needed

Comment

caliten AmieN1 corrin

Thanks, ladies, for the comments! No, I did not make the wreath. By the time I added up the cost of purchasing just a few baubles, pine cones, greenery, a base, etc., it almost ended up being about the same cost to buy a pre-made one, so that's what I did. I found this one a Lowe's, I believe it was the Allen + Roth brand, which I love. I kind of miss that it doesn't have that real pine smell, but it looks great against my front door, which is black.

Carrie, the berry garland is on a small tree/cone, about a foot tall, maybe a little bigger. The cone is wrapped in the garland, twine with mini pine cones, and soft cotton-line strands ... and then everything is covered in fake snow. It's super-cute and perfect for a table-top display. I'll try and get more pictures for you - in case you want to recreate it for yourself.

Comment

Love these kinds of traditions! We got our tree on Sunday, but haven't had time to decorate it! Ugh!
        Save

Comment

No tree for us since we don't celebrate together or at home. My man will be here with his family and I will be back in Switzerland with mine. I don't mind, though, I care waaaayyyy more about seeing people I love for sometimes the first and only time of the year!

Comment

finally coming back to show you our finished tree! (try to ignore the crazies in front, we didn't manage a "nice" picture this year, but this is quite true to form, so thats ok with me!).
            [/url]

Comment

• Amson
              Amson commented
              Editing a comment
              The perfect photo to me! Looks as if you really had some fun.

• AmieN1
              AmieN1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wish there was a LOVE button! <3
          Working...
          X