How long to become a tradition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to become a tradition?

How often do you have to repeat something in order for it to become a new tradition in your house? I do something ONCE with my kids, and all of a sudden it's a TRADITION. We made homemade gingerbread men last year and now the kids are saying that we MUST do it again because it's (you got it!) - TRADITION. I keep telling them that once doesn't make that necessarily true, but no one's buying it.

So, how soon are traditions made in your house :P
    Save
    Save

That's so funny, because in my family it is my mom that is saying that things that we have done once are a tradition.

I do have a SIL that starts things intentionally stating that she is starting a 'New Tradition', so I think that slapping a time frame on it is hard because it is a very gray area.

My Gallery

Comment

Two times But I have said "Let's start a tradition" the 1st time we do something.
      -----KRISTA-----

Comment

In our house, it usually has to happen at least twice before it's a tradition. Our traditions change over time too.

Comment

If we have done it at least twice, we consider it a tradition

Comment

I would say twice also- but I agree with Krista that I've been known to make that statement!

Comment

Your people must have been talking to my people, Robin! I think it has to do with not really understanding what traditions are, so maybe we should assign some intensive dictionary study. Do yours also consider 'the olden days' to be anything more than two years ago?

A funny aside that kind of relates to your question..... years ago I was talking to my office mate who was an officer in Her Majesty's finest Royal Navy (that'd be the British Navy, in case you weren't sure) about some of our really cool (US) Air Force traditions, and he told me that our Air Force, at about 55 years old then, had 'habits' because it takes hundreds of years to develop traditions (the Royal Navy was like 237 years old or something like that).

Comment

Oh dear Carrie, I hope I can make a tradition or two before I am 100s of years old! I think we planned a couple of traditions, and so the first time we did things we said it was just a new tradition. A couple of other things have become expectations that the kids call traditions (and I go with it most of the time!).

Comment

Working...
                X