How much sleep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much sleep?

Just curious ... how many hours of sleep, good sleep, do you get a night - and is it enough? I typically sleep about five, which is fine for me. However, I've been working a lot of hours these past 3-4 weeks (55+ a week), and I think it caught up with me. Bed around 10 pm last night ... awake at my usual 4 am this morning, and I figured, meh, I'll just stay in bed for a bit longer.

Woke up at 10 am!! What the heck?! I feel like I'm missing half a day!!

I use to need more but I think if I get around 6 hours I am OK. I don't know if this comes with age or it is just because I am a worrier in general, but once I am awake I have a harder time to go back to sleep than I used to in my young(er?) age lol. One thing is that once I wake up, my mind starts going here and there and I can't go back to sleep. That's what happened this morning. Woke up at 4:30 and tried to go back to sleep but impossible. I am at my computer since past 5am. It's good to catch up on things you'll tell me, but I know I will get pretty sleepy in the afternoon... still I can't take a nap because too much going on in my head... Endless! lol Oh well, I'll probably won't have troubles falling asleep tonight

Comment

I can function with 6 hours for a while, but 7-7.5 is my optimal sleep time. And when I have a huge workload or a stressful period at work I'm noticing I'm much more tired. I'm just out of such a time and I've been sleeping 9 hours the last two nights... Bliss!

Comment

Preferably at least 7.5, though I can manage on less, just not for more than a few nights. I've found that if I go to sleep really well hydrated (but drinking all that water - over 100 fl oz - during the day, not right before bed), I sleep longer and better (few to no night wakings), my sleep is more restorative (I don't get tired the next day) and it's easier to wake up in the morning.

Comment

• chloe
          chloe commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, that's interesting about being well hydrated! I've never paid attention to that. I know I get headaches if I don't drink enough but I've never noticed it influences my sleep quality!

Hmm I might have to try being better hydrated! I feel good when I get 7-8 hours, but lately have been lying awake (and then frustrated) until late/early hours, and then am tired and have headaches in the day. But someone else mentioned water, and I'm sure I haven't been drinking enough lately.

Comment

ALL the sleep! 8 hours minimum!
          This morning the kids woke us up at 9am!!!!!!!

I love that they are getting old enough to function by themselves in the am without waking me! On school days- they wake me up at 7am. I usually go to bed around 11pm. On my work days- I try to be in bed by 10 & get up at 6:15.

Comment

I can function on six without it affecting my attitude - but only for 2 or 3 days at the most. THEN if I haven't caught up on sleep, I'm a raving lunatic much to my shame / dismay. I need 7-7.5 on a consistent basis, but I can't seem to get that much sleep. My goal is to try to exercise in the morning so that I'm not hyped up before bed. Unfortunately I hate mornings. Like I seriously hate mornings so it hasn't been too successful this past week!!
            Save
            Save

Comment

With Chronic Fatigue, I struggle if I don't get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep :-(
              [img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com

Comment

I consistently function well on 6 hours a night ,sometimes 5. And those 6 hours are definitely not uninterrupted; I tend to wake up every couple hours but can roll over adn go back to sleep. Since being menopausal I find that I don't need as much sleep.

Comment

I get about 6-7. I can function on 5 for a short time (like, a week, max)... but after that I need to get back to 7-ish or I start to crash big time. And honestly, as I get older I am finding that I need more sleep than I did a few years ago. The whole "I can function on 5" thing is becoming harder and harder each year, LOL.
                  <--- #BecauseSOOOOOold! LOL
                  ~ Laura ~

Comment

Interesting on the water ... I drink about 150 oz a day, on a good day, so I'm floating at night if I don't make a conscious decision to drink nothing past about 4 pm! I thinking working 11+ hours in the office plus 2-2.5 hours commuting on top of that isn't helping ... yeah, like the 13 hours I did yesterday at work!

Comment

As I get older, I have a harder time with less sleep. Also, it depends upon when I go to bed more than the hours of sleep. If I have to function on less sleep, it would be better for me to go to bed at 10 and then get up after 4-6 hours of sleep. I would still feel fine if just a bit tired. If I have to go to sleep at 12 or later and get 4-6 hours, I will feel hung over the next day and barely be able to function.

Comment

Ideally, I like to get get 7 hours per night. If I get 8+, I'm rather groggy. If I get less than 6, I'm cranky.

I wear my Fitbit Charge2 all the time. It tracks my sleep and the insights have been really interesting.

Comment

I need to sleep between 6-7 hours a night. But I can't get very early in bed, it's always between 11-12pm and get up at 6am for work. And when it is weekend and I don't have to wake up, regularly I can't sleep anymore around 5am. At most I get older, at least I need less hours of sleep. But for the moment, I'm working around 45-50 hours a week, and I see (feel) that I need more hours to be no more (or less) tired.
                          [ SHOP ] [ BLOG ] [ FACEBOOK ]

Comment

I swear if I actually was able to sleep without interruption each night, 7 hours would be fine. As it is, I go to sleep around 10:30 and have to be up at 6.

Comment

Working...
                            X