Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol... should I believe what I see on TV?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol... should I believe what I see on TV?

Ok, this question might be stupid, but please bear with me. My man and I watch a lot of US TV series. Right now, for example, we're in the middle of a Suits marathon. We are always surprised by the amount of "random" alcohol people drink in those shows. Here in France, we definitely enjoy a glass of wine while eating, or on social occasions, but NOBODY has a bottle of scotch in their office (unless they're an alcoholic, but that's a whole other story), and not many people would pour themselves a glass of wine right after coming home from work. Before dinner, while relaxing with their spouse, yeah, why not, but out of the blue like that... not so much!

So now my question (for you american ladies) is this: are those TV shows exaggerating something that isn't very common after all, or does the behaviour they depict is considered normal?

I really have no idea since I very rarely drink myself (well I did back in college but since becoming a "responsible adult" not so much! LOL). My parents will have "happy hour" before they have dinner, where my father will have 1 beer and my mother will have a glass of wine, but that's pretty much my only reference.

Comment

• chloe
      chloe commented
      Editing a comment
      I could definitely imagine us having something like that, it fits in the "social occasions" I mentioned before, but not alone and not right when coming home from work (which is something I've seen many times in TV shows!) And LOL at responsible adult!

Harvey, Mike, Donna, or Rachel can have a glass anytime.

My Gallery

Comment

• chloe
      chloe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I love it! LOL Donna is my favorite. I'm only starting season 3, though, so no spoiler!!

We love that show too & I have never really noticed the alcohol- maybe that means it is so standard here? who knows!? We are in the occasional drinkers camp- beer with dinner, sometimes a cocktail while we are out, or weekend lake beer drinkers. We have multiple bottles of scotch, whiskey, bourbon (hubby's faves) & even a few that I like, vodka & rum up in the cupboard but rarely drink them!

Comment

I think it really, really depends on the individual. We're absolutely not the kind of people who make a bee-line straight for the liquor cabinet as soon as we get home (and I work from home, so how awful would that be?!?!), but in the spring/summer/fall, when it's nice outside and Friday evening or over the weekend, DH and I will grab a bev and go sit on the deck and watch the kids play and talk about whatever.... before dinner, or sometimes after dinner. But one drink, not the whole case, and usually not during the week or on 'school nights'.

Comment

My only drink is Baileys but I do have to say I like it in my coffee a few nights a week. Most of my friends do have a drink in the evening of some kind as does my family!
        Save
        Save

Comment

When I lived in Europe (Switzerland), it was actually quite common for people to have alcohol in their desks at work. They would gather round every once in a while (after a big project finished) or to celebrate something with a drink at the end of the day. I have never known any one in the US companies that I've worked for to do this. They would go out of the office to a bar after work to celebrate those same events though.

As to pouring a glass of wine right after work. If you work in corporate America, many times you are getting home right at dinner time. I know when I was working and not being a stay at home mom, I'd frequently get home at 7 or 8. I'm sure on more than one occasion I poured a glass while preparing the evening meal. Unless hubs got home first and prepped dinner. However, I do think that TV in general portrays the drinking of alcohol more robustly than anybody I know actually drinks it. And that's being said by someone who does enjoy a drink several times a week.

Comment

Interesting range of answers. I only have an alcoholic drink once a month (with friends at their place) even though we have at home as well, so am not weighing in really.
            also have a really low tolerance so if I had a glass before eating - no one would get any dinner while I sat on the couch giggling and then falling asleep.
            Give me my tea and everything will be fine. Supper will be served on time, I can chill and chat with it or put my feet up after dinner with it watching tv.
            proudly creating for The Digital PressCo, Get it Scrapped, KimB, Monthly Chronicles, and LJS Designs.

Comment

Working...
            X