Active Shooter Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Shooter Drill

My company just had us all participate in an Active Shooter Drill. I have never been so scared in my life. Has anyone else ever been through one of these? Gunshots don't sound a thing like you hear on TV. We only "lost" 5 people out of almost 200, everyone else got out, which they say is really good.

I know it is important knowledge for us all to have, but I am sad that we need this kind of information.
    Save

Yes, I have been through more than one, and also that it's sad that we need this kind of information. Real gunshots ARE terrifyingly loud, and that sound sticks with you for awhile, doesn't it. My "favorite" TV guns are the ones with suppressors that make absolutely no noise.

My most recent experience with active shooter drills I recall as being really irritated, but I was not in the area where the action was happening. Basically, we got locked into a dark, stuffy room with about 30 other people for TWO HOURS. I have no idea how it played out since we ran out of the building, got in our car and booked it off base as fast as possible to avoid getting stuck in another exercise scenario (like a suspicious/abandoned backpack at the bus stop by main gate during rush hour).

Comment

sounds horrible! I have never had anything liek that, just fire drills, and an evacuation from the airport (I worked there - in McDonalds!) as a bomb scare practice drill. Always pretty dull, and always fore-warned of the hour in which they would take place. I do remember that while I was working at the airport, the Gulf war started (yes, THAT long ago), and there were suddenly quite a lot of armed police officers just walking around the airport. I had never seen an armed police officer before, and they had the big guns, in their hands. I remember that being scary, and so strange. You see them all over the place now, and it really is sad.

Comment

It was horrible. I wanted to cry, not so much from fear even though I was plenty afraid, but from an overwhelming sadness of the way things are now.

These shots were loud enough, but not "explosive." I didn't know what they were even though I was expecting them. It sounded like someone was pounding on the wall more than shooting a gun. Of course, I have no experience to compare it to other than TV because I have never been around guns or heard one being shot before.

Caliten, I am surprised you could leave. Did they not have to do a head count, etc...

Work is much more subdued today and I for one am really glad. We will be doing another one next month, I may have to be sick that day.
        Save

Comment

• caliten
          caliten commented
          Editing a comment
          We were in the building, but not where the action was. It's possible that they took their head count after locking us in, and then again as we exited and were told to hurry down the hall to the door. I imagine the people who ran the office we were visiting had some sort of debriefing to do/attend, but honestly, I have no idea about the specifics as we were literally unintentional bystanders - it wasn't our place of work, our company or anything else like that (imagine the delivery guy from Jimmy John's getting stuck in your building and having to participate in your company drill).

• Lorie
          Lorie commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it. That would stink and I would get out as fast as possible too.

I haven't ever been in a situation like that, so I can only imagine how unnerving that is. I always think about the poor kids having to sit through lock-down drills at school, and it makes me sick. I hate that this is the kind of world that we live in. Excuse me while I go get a bowl of ice cream now.

My Gallery

Comment

• Lorie
          Lorie commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree with everything you said. Especially the ice cream.

We don't have much of those exercises here in France, or at least we didn't until recently. With the terrorist attacks they have started to add an exercise like that to the usual fire drills they do in school. It must have been terrible to go through that and think it could be real! Scary!

Comment

• Lorie
          Lorie commented
          Editing a comment
          It was not fun at all, but it is very real now, so I guess it is good that my company cares enough to go through the program with us.

It sounds dreadful, we haven't had anything like that, "just" fire drills and bomb scares. It is so sad that we need to know how to survive these things.

Comment

• Lorie
          Lorie commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree.

Such a sad world we live in. Sorry Lorie! The kids just moved back to their remodeled school (their school was one of the 'open concept' style of classes with no walls or doors- just bookshelves & stuff to separate them!) and my daughter's favorite thing about the new remodel is that they have a door for their classroom! She says it feels much safer!

Comment

• Hillary
          Hillary commented
          Editing a comment

• Lorie
          Lorie commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree,
      Working...
      X