Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comiserate with me - my gardening sad stories!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comiserate with me - my gardening sad stories!

I am not really a good gardener, but for a couple of years I have tried growing a few veg in my garden. I think this is my 3rd year growning runner beans, but something is eating them! I have got slug pellets down, but still the leaves (especially at the top of the plants) are being eaten, and I keep checking them for caterpillars etc., but no sign. I am so sad! And then, my 3ry old chopped all the pink flowers off my plants in a pot. ALL OF THEM! He didn't even sweetly present me with a handful of flowers, he just choppped them off and threw them around the garden like confetti! <<< that is him, not me!

Comiserate with me, have you ever tried growing things and been thwarted?!

Oh, have I ever been thwarted while attempting to grow things in the garden!

Within the past two weeks, something has eaten the tops off of all my bell peppers (we'd started them from seeds indoors and transplanted them into the outdoor garden in late May). We think it was turkeys since we recently started seeing them inside the fenced garden.

A few years back, same fenced garden, something at all the carrots in their entirety, literally a week before we were planning to pick them.

And my personal favorite, a few years ago on an evening in mid-September, a big black bear plunked his furry butt down in one of my raised beds and nibbled away at my lettuce. I wasn't too terribly upset since the lettuce had bolted (it flowered, and thus the leaves were staring to taste bitter), but when he got up, climbed into the other bed and PEED on my bean plants, I was totally peeved! We watched all of this from our kitchen window too, by the way.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      ahh, I had to laugh at the bear, but I bet that was so frustrating to watch!

• Amson
      Amson commented
      Editing a comment
      So funny. A bear!! Wow!!! Hope that you got some photos.

We planted some Butter Lettuce a couple of years ago, it came up perfectly, and was delicious. The person at the nursery where we bought the plant had told us that if we just picked off the outer leaves that it would continue to grow, so that is what we did. Sure enough, it kept growing and we were so excited until one day I went out to pick some and it was all but gone! Something had been chomping on my lettuce! Later that day I went out to get a tomato and there the perpetrator was....a groundhog eating the rest of my lettuce. He ran off and I never saw him again, but I haven't dared to plant lettuce again either.

My Gallery

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      ahhh! We have foxes, and frogs, and then just little bugs to worry about, something like a groundhog would freak me out!

We have done raised beds for the first time this year & had some success (radishes, spinach, lettuce) but something (I suspect deer) is eating the tops off all our peas! We have a lot of wildlife so I went in know that we'll get what we get!! My son's pumpkin is growing like MAD though & taking over everything!

Comment

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      Those crazy deer will eat anything! I bet you don't have very many flowers, do you?

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hillary I have evolved to deer-friendly flowers- at least ours here don't like bleeding hearts, clematis, daffodils, lilies & peonies- and thankfully they leave my hydrangea alone until end of fall when they must be really hungry & eat it down to the ground- but it comes back bigger & better every year- so secretly they are helping me! I have learned the hard way that they REALLY like tulips (like eat them off the front porch!)

• Amson
      Amson commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that is the best way to work with the difficulties posed by nature. Sounds as if you have it well worked out.

I have 12 x 1.5m squared raised beds which still do not have watering fully available... (On partners todo list somewhere )

We plant in winter as summer is too hot and humid for most vegetables to survive. Last year I was about to harvest our cabbages, cauliflower and broccoli which all ripened at the same time. A few days later and everything had disappeared. I have no idea what took the vegetables but think it must have been some small rodents or a bandicoot or possum?? There was nothing left except the stems and outer leaves of cauliflower. I was so disheartened but are persevering again this year but keeping a closer look out.

The main problems for us are just the diseases that thrive in the humidity. A friend lost all their tomatoes and lettuces to kangaroos but we have not had a problem with these yet...

At the moment we have about 5 varieties of lettuce, snow peas, rocket, celery, japanese turnip and tomatoes. Other plants still at seedling stage. Oranges were picked a few weeks ago and we are all eating 2 of these a day. Cabbages are ripening and should be good in another week or 2. Bean plants are being eaten underground by????.

Anyway it is great to have food available for dinner knowing it has not been sprayed and is chemical free.
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Last edited by Amson; 07-22-2017, 09:36 PM.
    Save

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I can inagine how the heat is hard to grow things in, it tends to be too soggy here for quite a few things (I can never get my tomatoes or peppers to ripen!), but it feels so good watching it grow, and thinking about eating it! I think that is why I am so cross that something is going wrong! Such delicate things, these veg! Having said that, I am also growing a few herbs, and my mint - seems that is not much that harms mint!

I read recently that the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again while expecting different results. After almost a decade of trying to grow things, and failing to do so each and every year, I am just about ready to give up. I guess I don't learn too quickly!
    Save
    Save

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, I have heard that too, but then again, they say if at first you don't succeed then try, try and try again! And my mother was a fan of Edison who said &quot;I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work.&quot; - so hang if there, if your sanity can take it!

I am amazed at reading your stories.
    Bears and deers eating your plants.
    I have had caterpillars and cats peeing so am clearly missing out.
    Just planed basil and rosemary though, so here's hoping.
    proudly creating for The Digital PressCo, Get it Scrapped, KimB, Monthly Chronicles, and LJS Designs.

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope they grow for you, I seem to be ok with herbs (I have mint all over the place! But also some chives and lemon thyme, and a rather sad looking parsley), so maybe the caterpillars and cats aren't as keen on herbs as they are on veg!

Hey sweets, I asked my fiancé' his opinion (because he can grow anything in Antartica lol) and he said it has to be moth larva or green grasshoppers. Both hard to notice and both really love the bean. He suggested Neem from The Home Depot or any gardening store. Apply every 3-4 days depending on severity. We hope this helps!
    Karla Noél | Designer | karlanoel.com

Comment

• corrin
      corrin commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh thank you, I wondered about butterfly eggs (or moths), just couldn't see them! I will go and get some Neem - thank you Karla and your clever fiancée!
Working...
X