The August 21st Eclipse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The August 21st Eclipse

My family had big plans to make our way to Idaho Falls ID to camp out in my cousins huge yard and watch the August 21st eclipse, but lately there have been a ton of reports about the amount of people that they expect to be doing the same thing. We have decided to just stick to our "lesser view" and stay home.

I know that some people here *ahem Laura Passage * are right in the path of the full eclipse, but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of, or is planning on going to see it?
    Last edited by Hillary; 07-15-2017, 01:45 AM.

My Gallery

Here is a link to read about it. https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com
    ​​​​​

My Gallery

Comment

It's crossed my mind to do something exciting, by my kids will already be back in school.....and the 21st is a Monday.

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        My kids will be back in school also, but we figured it might be worth missing a day. LOL

I so badly wish we could see it from central Texas, but we aren't in the path My friends are driving to Nashville, TN to see it and I'm so jealous!!!
      Save
      Save

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        There is going to be one over Texas in 2024! You can totally catch that one.

• mariewilcox
        mariewilcox commented
        Editing a comment
        The one in 2024 passes over us here in Maine too - right through where I live :D

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        You two can have an "Eclipse Party". LOL

We're the same as you hillary- in Eastern WA we'll have a decent view so not worth taking time off work, fighting crowds, etc. I just read an article about hotels price gouging in the cities that are in the path... supply & demand!

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        I read one about how they would be running out of gas. I wasn't too worried about getting in, but getting out is another story.

amazing ! I remember I saw one few years ago. it was very stunning, black sky at lunch time

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        So fun!

I have "seen" 2 eclipses, but sadly neither of them really made much impact on me, I remember we had our special glasses to look through, but actually it didn't get dark at all, and so I was a bit disappointed. I hope this one is dramatic enough that you can see it well (even without the trip to Idaho!)

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        We hope it is dramatic enough too. After this I have to wait until 2045 when it will go right over Utah. <3

We're right around the 80% mark (and would take us 4 hours to get to the 90% mark) so that will have to be good enough for my kiddos. Gotta get those glasses!

Comment

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        We need to get some glasses too.

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
      I know that some people here *ahem Laura Passage * are right in the path of the full eclipse, but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of, or is planning on going to see it?
      So OK, let's talk about this bucket of crazy, shall we?

We are at the absolute epicenter of eclipse viewing... and holy heck, things are apparently going to get crazy here in the Willamette Valley. Not only are all of the hotel rooms in about a 150-200 mile radius apparently sold out for the entire week surrounding the eclipse... but... now the experts are actually predicting that there are going to be so many extra people here, we'll have what they are calling "MASSIVE" traffic jams, and shortages of food and gas because trucks won't be able to deliver on a regular schedule (let alone deliver MORE for the extra people).

So, yeah. I am no longer all that excited about this, because apparently we're going to have to stockpile milk and bread and GAS (?!WTHECK?!) more than a week in advance.
      #JustNoPeople #GetOut LOL

And just watch... it will be cloudy that morning. LOL
      ~ Laura ~

Comment

• Laura Passage
        Laura Passage commented
        Editing a comment
        And you know what? I am kinda mad about the whole thing, because there's a really great soccer camp up in Portland that I really REALLY wanted to sign my kids up for... and now we can't, because it's not likely we will be able to make the 45-min drive anymore. They're predicting a shutdown on I-5 that day. I am seriously super annoyed!

• miimsgirl
        miimsgirl commented
        Editing a comment
        ugh! Glad you shared that - we will be driving back from the Redwood forest on that Sunday - will stop in Cali and stock up I guess!

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I hope that you at least enjoy your 2 minutes and 10 seconds worth of your total eclipse.

I am super annoyed too ( I live about an hour south of Laura) My parents had planned on coming to see us that weekend - they bought their plane tickets ages ago - but did not book a hotel just yet - (we live in teeny tiny student housing so no extra room for Grandma and Grandpa) but when they went to book their hotel IN JUNE for AUGUST everything was COMPLETELY FULL - in Eugene - which is not even in the direct path (but pretty darn close) so they had to cancel their tickets and re book - which means they won't be able to visit until the kiddos are back in school (we don't start until September.)

created using gorgeous goodies from creashens

Comment

Working...
      X